Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160926 times)

bunnta

With almost no chum in present, the coho in stave are everywhere, jump like crazy, saw quite a few bunked

I was there till from 230pm - 4pm. I didn't see anything like you described, I saw the same tomato coho make its appearance a few times.

psd1179

• Old Timer

I was there till from 230pm - 4pm. I didn't see anything like you described, I saw the same tomato coho make its appearance a few times.

I was there last weekend

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Anybody got a river conditions report? Thinking of heading out there Friday morning.
It was great yesterday one of the best days for coho since I started fishing the Vedder late 70's. Very heavy rain now in Chilliwack so hard to call conditions for today. WSith the jump in water levels a lot of fish will have moved upstream so the run will start to dimish soon.

clarki

• Old Timer

It was great yesterday one of the best days for coho since I started fishing the Vedder late 70's.
Seriously? Dang. I awoke  with my alarm at O dark thirty, checked my phone, saw the river rose 0.4 m overnight, went back to sleep, and fished somewhere else (unsuccessfully) in the PM.

Local knowledge is key...

CohoJake

• Old Timer

The fraser river and all its tributaries will go to non retention of chum next week.

Folks

Please find attached FN with an update to Fraser river Chum run size.

Just as a heads up given the very poor returns the Department will be implementing Chum non retention in the tidal and non Tidal recreational fisheries within the Lower Fraser watershed. Fishery Notices will be out within the next week

If you have any questions please give me a call.

Thanks Dean

Dean Allan

Area Chief Resource Management, Fraser and Interior Area

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

The notice just came out, looks like retention is closed in all the tributaries EXCEPT the Chilliwack/Vedder.

Therefore, the daily limit for chum salmon is reduced to zero (0) effective one
hour after sunset, Sunday, October 20, 2019 until December 31, 2019 on the
following systems:

- Allouette River
- Chehalis River
- Harrison River
- Stave River
- Nicomen Slough

Variation Order No.  2019-RFQ-574

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Not too sure why its prohibited on the Chehalis but wtvr. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I was there in Wendsay and the hatchery channel was so thick with Chum you could walk across their backs.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Dave

• Old Timer

I fear opening the Chilliwack to chum retention is a huge mistake; with the expected returns this season DFO management should be trying to save as many of these fish as possible.
Does anyone advocate for fish any more?

sockeyed

I fear opening the Chilliwack to chum retention is a huge mistake; with the expected returns this season DFO management should be trying to save as many of these fish as possible.
Does anyone advocate for fish any more?

If the numbers are so bad why arent tribs like the stave closed for retention today instead of Monday? Doesn't make any sense.

sockeyed

People will be out in force at the stave trying to get their roe fill now.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Hopefully anglers will do the right thing release the chum.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

come Monday 80% of the people who fish the Stave won't even know about the chum closure.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

https://www.ktva.com/story/38490430/80-tons-of-salmon-seized-from-chinese-fishing-vessel
Maybe theirs more poaching than we think out there .
almost 18 months old and it took place closer to Japan than Canada. Those fish were not Canadian or US salmon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Hows the vedder look for tomorrow fishing? thanks

dobrolub

muddy.