Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160940 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water great this morning and the rain has stopped. I fished the Torpedo Run, lost 2 chum on roe bags and missed a couple of take downs. A few hatchery Coho salmon taken.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Does the river look fishable this weekend?  The forecast looks pretty grim.

I dont trust the forcast at anytime. They called for one months worth of rain in 6 days. It's down to 5 days now. Yesterday they called for today being a rainmageddon. Didnt happen.

Morty

From the news releases, just the CV hatchery
"As part of these measures, an additional $2.53 million over five years will be used to increase juvenile Chinook production from Chilliwack hatchery. These Chinook were identified as a key Canadian salmon stock available for extended periods as prey for Southern Resident Killer Whales."

Now I'm wondering if the hatcheries are going to start clipping Chinook and only allow recreational retention of clipped Chinook.
?
(in order to protect the food supply of un-clipped for Orcas of course)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

two legged Orcas.

clarki

• Old Timer

Now I'm wondering if the hatcheries are going to start clipping Chinook and only allow recreational retention of clipped Chinook.
?
Since hatchery production of C/V chinook is being ramped up to provide forage for SRKW, it would seem counter productive to clip those fish to allow anglers to identify and harvest them.

dcajaxs

low and clear today, a couple bites at first hour of light and that was it for me.  Heard the same everywhere else.   Strange weather forecast as it was dry all day even the updated forecast continued to say rain yet barely any fell. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

?

Mass marking (clipping) of chinook is now in the Pacific Salmon treaty and required of all signatory countries. DFO Hatcheries has to comply in the near future.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The fraser river and all its tributaries will go to non retention of chum next week.

Folks

Please find attached FN with an update to Fraser river Chum run size.

Just as a heads up given the very poor returns the Department will be implementing Chum non retention in the tidal and non Tidal recreational fisheries within the Lower Fraser watershed. Fishery Notices will be out within the next week

If you have any questions please give me a call.

Thanks Dean

Dean Allan

Area Chief Resource Management, Fraser and Interior Area

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:10:42 PM by wildmanyeah »

milo

• Old Timer

Wow! Getting worse and worse... :-[

In light of your announcement, it would be interesting to see the Stave this weekend, and how much people who read this really care about the resource.
My wish is that they leave the fish alone, but knowing how powerful a motivator greed is, my guess is that it is going to be a gong show with people desperately trying to get their chum fill, especially chum roe.

I'm leaving the chum alone without waiting for the ban.

p.s. Thanks for the headsup wildmanyeah.

BMo86

The stave is a ghost town so good luck to anyone that makes there way out there this weekend.....

bigsnag

• Old Timer

There were about 25 guys fishing on the west side Wednesday. Only saw one caught, dark as a boot and the guy who hooked it by the tail kept it. It was a male too, go figure.
It ain't the roe bro'

psd1179

• Old Timer

With almost no chum in present, the coho in stave are everywhere, jump like crazy, saw quite a few bunked

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

It is bleak ( for the most part ) in the Stave. I was lucky and found a nice spot loaded with bright Chum. It is the first time EVER at this time of year I have seen the entire east bank void of fish.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

The fraser river and all its tributaries will go to non retention of chum next week.

Isn't the Fraser already closed to all salmon fishing?

blueback

Anybody got a river conditions report? Thinking of heading out there Friday morning.