Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160681 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

In a few years from now, that abundance of chinook salmon will be even higher than what you're seeing this year as hatchery production of chinook salmon is increased to the full capacity to feed the killer whales. It'll be interesting to see if the fall fishery will turn into primarily a chinook salmon fishery instead of a coho salmon fishery.

Are they doing this for just the CV system or other Fraser Basin Systems?

essyoo

Went out Saturday for first light and had a fantastic time. Finally, after so much time and effort trying to learn this fishery I caught my first coho!

This one weighed in at exactly 5lbs. I ended up landing and keeping three with five or six more lost. I had to leave to meet some family up river but could have definitely continued to catch more. The three other guys I was fishing next to in the run were super nice and also catching a bunch. Big thanks to them for the info they shared with me on setup and run positioning as well as everyone here for all the advice.

Question about chinook: what is everyone looking for when wanting to retain a spring? I saw a few people carrying out really dark ones that I would have put back assuming they had to be brighter. How can you tell which to keep and which are past their prime?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

No bite at first light but then there was a flurry of action later, lost 3 coho salmon in a row on three cast, then another along with 3 misses, must have been the hooks I picked up on the beach. LOL Came home to put chips in the smoker from yesterday's buck chum salmon, some people scorn them but a fresh run one like the one I am smoking is so good.

A lot of people this morning disturbing the run with torpedo retrieves, I guess they have never been told, hold your rod high as you reel in causing  the float to not come through the water like a torpedo, fish especially in clear water are spooked. I will film what it looks like one day.

clarki

• Old Timer

Are they doing this for just the CV system or other Fraser Basin Systems?

From the news releases, just the CV hatchery
"As part of these measures, an additional $2.53 million over five years will be used to increase juvenile Chinook production from Chilliwack hatchery. These Chinook were identified as a key Canadian salmon stock available for extended periods as prey for Southern Resident Killer Whales."
https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-oceans/news/2019/03/minister-wilkinson-and-mp-sidhu-tour-chehalis-river-hatchery-and-inch-creek-hatchery.html

Went out Saturday for first light and had a fantastic time. Finally, after so much time and effort trying to learn this fishery I caught my first coho!
Congratulations!   

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

From the news releases, just the CV hatchery
"As part of these measures, an additional $2.53 million over five years will be used to increase juvenile Chinook production from Chilliwack hatchery. These Chinook were identified as a key Canadian salmon stock available for extended periods as prey for Southern Resident Killer Whales."
https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-oceans/news/2019/03/minister-wilkinson-and-mp-sidhu-tour-chehalis-river-hatchery-and-inch-creek-hatchery.html
Congratulations!

Thanks!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Went out for an hour this afternoon one miss,
 back for supper and out for the evening bite, saw 2 chum salmon being carried out. Rain started and now stopped, should be fisable in the AM.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Question about chinook: what is everyone looking for when wanting to retain a spring? I saw a few people carrying out really dark ones that I would have put back assuming they had to be brighter. How can you tell which to keep and which are past their prime?

according to people on the fraser valley fishing facebook page they are "roe trains"

perhaps that will help

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

that and some folks claim they are ok smoked. White Springs lose flavour once they darken up a bit. If the belly is at all grey put it back.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer

that and some folks claim they are ok smoked. White Springs lose flavour once they darken up a bit. If the belly is at all grey put it back.
Sadly, many people won't do it, especially if it's a female. I have walked and waded the river quite a bit this long weekend, and I saw far too many female springs rotting on the bottom with their bellies cut open.
The hunger for roe as bait and ikura and caviar as a delicacy make some people throw their ethics out the window.
I agree with Ralph from firsthand experience that gray (and soft) belly is a good indicator that the fish should be put back. But a slightly darkened fish (especially with a copperish tinge = red spring) with a white belly, firm flesh, and no damage to the fins and scales is good table fare, even for sashimi if you process it right (freeze at -19C or colder for at least a week).

I hate it when people waste a fish only for the roe. There's a certain caviar-loving ethnic group at the Stave whose behaviour with chum female fish disgusts me so much that I don't bother to fish the Stave anymore.
I wish there was more enforcement in that regard.

psd1179

• Old Timer

No bite at first light but then there was a flurry of action later, lost 3 coho salmon in a row on three cast, then another along with 3 misses, must have been the hooks I picked up on the beach.

I have a pack of Garmagatsu  barbless size 4 for you if we met again.
I had a bad luck day as well. lost three at my toes, only kept one hatchery. not much action all day long

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

That's a beauty fish essyoo! Persistence paid off! :D

Regarding enforcement, DFO officers have been checking the river pretty regularly this fall.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Heavy rain now, but the river should hold for the AM fishery I would think. If it goes out I will report later.

DRP79

DFO has been more present so far this year from what I have seen. I've already seen them twice in 4 trips vs a handful of times over the past 6-7 years. Nice to see them out there.

As for the roe trains, it bugs me to see the slit belly rotting fish too. I am not against taking a slightly colored spring or chum if I am seeking roe. I certainly wouldnt waste the fish though. I have a big dog at home and she will be thrilled to get a feed of salmon if it's not table fare for my wife and I.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

If the belly on  Chum is white, the flesh is good. Chum makes great salmon burgers.

fic

• Old Timer

Does the river look fishable this weekend?  The forecast looks pretty grim.