Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Goliath Grouper  (Read 3276 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Giant Goliath Grouper
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Giant Goliath Grouper
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »

I've watched a number of fishing shows where goliath grouper are the target, and sometimes not target, species.

One show, the guy was kneeling at the side of the boat, the rod bent over at 90 degrees and he absolutely struggling  to keep the rod up. The instant the rod touched the gunwale, it shattered.

Another time, a boat was fighting a shark and a grouper materialized from the depths and grabbed the shark boat-side.

In the most memorable episode, a grouper had broken their heavy line twice, so in an act of desperation, the guide tied a hook to the ANCHOR line and baited it with a live stingray. They landed it.

The goliath grouper is the northern pikeminnow of the tropics. It was previously known by a less PC name.               

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »

meh. No runs, no jumps. Might as well hook a pickup truck and haul it up.

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »

Might as well hook a pickup truck and haul it up.

Same reason I gave up Sturgeon fishing 20 years ago. I will take a 12 inch silver bullet Kamloops trout sipping or smashing a Tom Thumb off the calm top water any day over breaking my back over a several hundred pound sturgeon. Same goes for Halibut....the only reason I'd fish for them is because I kill and can eat it. Can't eat sturgeon.....not going to break my back on them.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »

Same reason I gave up Sturgeon fishing 20 years ago. I will take a 12 inch silver bullet Kamloops trout sipping or smashing a Tom Thumb off the calm top water any day over breaking my back over a several hundred pound sturgeon. Same goes for Halibut....the only reason I'd fish for them is because I kill and can eat it. Can't eat sturgeon.....not going to break my back on them.
X2

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »

Ya but sturgeon jump  ;D
I also gave up sturgeon fishing, but mostly because I have limited fishing time and would rather use the fly rod.

ae_9

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »

The size of the hook  :o

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »

X2

The end of the world must be near indeed. This is the second time in less than a week that Robert G and agree on something 100%. :o