Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 160765 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer

4. A reputable poster here acting as your witness.
Btw, beauty cohos you got there on Wednesday psd1179. It was nice meeting you.

Nice to meet you too. The past week I had chance met many Fishing with rod celebrities. Great bonus beside all the coho :)

essyoo

Went out first thing sunday morning and should have known it wasn't going to be great by the plentiful parking. Couldn't get any fish interested on anything I threw in the water, but had a run to myself for the entire morning, so that was nice.

Visibility looked good but water seems too high and fast for the patch I was on. Saw a lot of zombie chum and plenty of springs jumping. Only saw one person with a small coho.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Game over. eventually Vedder blowed out

wooly bugger

hey folks

Was there this past Sunday afternoon looking for coho and the water level and clarity was good.  I had no luck with my coho tactics... mostly red/pink fluff, drifting colorado blades and swinging spoons....so I switched over to my trusty float / jig setup.  There must have been a school of chum pushing through my spot because within 1 hr I had something like 5 fish on.  One of them was so chrome I thought it was a coho...

On that note... just a reminder that the chum limit on this river is exactly one.  How the times have changed...

Still waiting for my first coho in 2 years from this river, any tips appreciated  ;D

psd1179

• Old Timer

hey folks

Was there this past Sunday afternoon looking for coho and the water level and clarity was good.  I had no luck with my coho tactics... mostly red/pink fluff, drifting colorado blades and swinging spoons....so I switched over to my trusty float / jig setup.  There must have been a school of chum pushing through my spot because within 1 hr I had something like 5 fish on.  One of them was so chrome I thought it was a coho...

On that note... just a reminder that the chum limit on this river is exactly one.  How the times have changed...

Still waiting for my first coho in 2 years from this river, any tips appreciated  ;D

get some bait

wooly bugger

ugh...  I've always tried to be a pure artificial lure guy but I can't deny the effectiveness of roe, everyone seems to be using it (and hooking up!)

thx for the tip

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

hey folks

You could find some fly water (although this flow is mostly conducive to gear, there are some great fly spots), and cast and retrieve flies for coho. Or........switch up to roe flies!

psd1179

• Old Timer

ugh...  I've always tried to be a pure artificial lure guy but I can't deny the effectiveness of roe, everyone seems to be using it (and hooking up!)

thx for the tip

then better fish bait ban rivers. In vedder, you are compete with another 1000 bait fishermen. Everyday, so many roe floating downstream, created a special hatch. You get to match the hatch.

wooly bugger

"matching the roe hatch"

that is hilarious but so true in this case  ;D

@ FF Magician - I only started fly fishing 2 years ago and only had luck in lakes, rivers are so intimidating.  I need to get that single-hand spey cast right before I will attempt the rivers I think.  One day!

Animal Chin

thx for the tip

You could twitch jigs. I've been fishing after first light and bring roe, but either my roe sucks or I'm not doing it right cause I've caught the few that i have on twitched jigs and blades. Also i give up on roe pretty quick. Though i prefer float fishing, i can cover more water with a spinning rod (jigs, spoons).

wooly bugger

You could twitch jigs. I've been fishing after first light and bring roe, but either my roe sucks or I'm not doing it right cause I've caught the few that i have on twitched jigs and blades. Also i give up on roe pretty quick. Though i prefer float fishing, i can cover more water with a spinning rod (jigs, spoons).

A crazy fisher friend of mine once told me, as soon as someone starts using roe, it's pretty much game over for anyone else in the area who's fishing artificial because of the scent.  I dunno how true that is.  It certainly doesn't seem to apply to chum salmon (or expert fishermen, for that matter!)

Thx for the tip.  I caught my only coho on the Stave years ago on a twitched jig.  Couldn't believe it actually worked.

milo

• Old Timer

A crazy fisher friend of mine once told me, as soon as someone starts using roe, it's pretty much game over for anyone else in the area who's fishing artificial because of the scent.  I dunno how true that is.  It certainly doesn't seem to apply to chum salmon (or expert fishermen, for that matter!)

Thx for the tip.  I caught my only coho on the Stave years ago on a twitched jig.  Couldn't believe it actually worked.

Not true, especially not for frog water.
A well presented fly, blade or jig will out fish roe every time in back waters or holes with little and/or slow water circulation.

clarki

• Old Timer

Not true, especially not for frog water.
A well presented fly, blade or jig will out fish roe every time in back waters or holes with little and/or slow water circulation.
My experience differs.  During the first week of Oct, I was soundly spanked by roe anglers on back to back days at my favourite frog water. Sure I got into some fish, but didn't have the numbers and consistent action that they had. I mixed it up with different angles, twitches and patterns, and even hardware, but they still outperformed me. In fact, one angler was getting skunked on gear, switched to roe and had a limit in no time. It's happened similarly in years past as the same location. So in my experience, I couldn't agree with "every time".  Sure sometimes, but I think "every time" is a little overstated. Or... it's not unlikely that I was falling into the "not well presented" category!

There I am twitching jigs in the same water that coho are being hammered in by a roe angler just feet away, muttering to myself "I like fishing jigs. I don't like fishing roe. I'm here for the experience. I don't need to hook fish to enjoy myself. I'm fishing the way I enjoy to fish" over and over :)     

psd1179

• Old Timer

- Chilliwack/Vedder River - Non-retention

Further to FN1080, the daily limit for Chum salmon is reduced to zero (0) on
the Chilliwack/Vedder River, effective immediately until December 31, 2019. 
This was inadvertently omitted from the list of Fraser Region 2 tributaries
previously announced in FN1080.

Eventually closed. good thing. the chum is also extincted anywhere.

wooly bugger

- Chilliwack/Vedder River - Non-retention

Further to FN1080, the daily limit for Chum salmon is reduced to zero (0) on
the Chilliwack/Vedder River, effective immediately until December 31, 2019. 
This was inadvertently omitted from the list of Fraser Region 2 tributaries
previously announced in FN1080.

Eventually closed. good thing. the chum is also extincted anywhere.

Holy smoked salmon....

Poor chum.  Never thought I'd see the day when the Stave would have no retention on chum, now the Vedder...