Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries  (Read 26957 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »

There's more, actually.
Read this article and check the regs...easy to figure them out.  ;)

http://www.steelheadermag.com/probertsteelheading.html
It's  not clear how old this article is as many of the streams he mentions do not receive hatchery plants & haven't for years and have very few steelhead. Some stuff defies credibility (a 30lbs steelhead from Weaver Creek?) and he doesn't know anything about the Coq' before the construction of the highway.That he repeatedly refers to Cogburn Creek as "Cogbum" is pretty indicative of his expertise in such maters.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »

here or there?
here, depending on your style/method. If your style is dependant on more light, that would have been your choice. If the other angler feels conditions suits him/her then have at it. That is not low holing. No angler has the right to inhibit the other from fishing, I'd say.

There, fence posting was and is considered poor sportsmanship and is not tolerated and in fact the offender may well be in danger of grievous bodily harm. In cases that I have come across where multiple anglers are waiting to fish or just happen to arrive at the same time and that is if there is not a (dark ban) or where fishing is only allowed 30 min before sunrise and 30 after sunset. I think that rule was lifted in order to allow for night fishing for Seatrout, so no need to wait and the normal rules apply, or face the consequences ::)

Don't forget that very often there is a waiting list just to get onto the season ticket list or even the day list, so why would anyone jeopardise their chances of returning. Getting a report or written up is almost sure to get you banned from the water and bad reputations travel fast therefore it may become hard to even get a day ticket... anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:20:16 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »

Fishing can sometimes be like driving. Sometimes you'll find courtesy and other times aggressiveness and outright stupidity. It's up to each of us as to how we react to each one. There have been some great responses in this thread, very well thought out and gives the reader many choices to choose from.

For me, as I near the the ripe old age of 60, and having survived this long by sticking to a life long rule of violence is never the answer or a solution to a problem. I try not to get into peeing matches with river bullies or entitled sportsmen. Life is to short and I go fishing for fun and enjoyment, not to fight.

Hell if I'm going to argue with someone I could stay home with my wife and do that. ;D Now thats not to say that I'm just a turn-the-cheek, pacifist kind of guy as I believe and as I've taught my kids that one should stand up for oneself. But pick your battles and be sure that the battle is worth the effort.

When I fish the Vedder or any other river I try to fish as I drive. Respectful and courteous of the other drivers around me. And if someone wants to drive like a crazy man I would just shake my head, laugh a little and continue on my way. If I am fishing and someone low holes me or moves in on my spot I would probably talk calmly to him/her and explain how I feel and test their response.

If they are insulting, aggressive or just ignore me then I would most likely continue fishing and not get into a situation. Afterall most rivers are big enough that there are lots of spots to fish and I also believe that in the end Karma will bite that person in the my friend.
At the end of the day I want to look back at my fishing experience as fun, relaxing and enjoyable and Not think about some peeing match that I could of won or lost.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »

Fishing can sometimes be like driving. Sometimes you'll find courtesy and other times aggressiveness and outright stupidity. It's up to each of us as to how we react to each one. There have been some great responses in this thread, very well thought out and gives the reader many choices to choose from.

For me, as I near the the ripe old age of 60, and having survived this long by sticking to a life long rule of violence is never the answer or a solution to a problem. I try not to get into peeing matches with river bullies or entitled sportsmen. Life is to short and I go fishing for fun and enjoyment, not to fight.

Hell if I'm going to argue with someone I could stay home with my wife and do that. ;D Now thats not to say that I'm just a turn-the-cheek, pacifist kind of guy as I believe and as I've taught my kids that one should stand up for oneself. But pick your battles and be sure that the battle is worth the effort.

When I fish the Vedder or any other river I try to fish as I drive. Respectful and courteous of the other drivers around me. And if someone wants to drive like a crazy man I would just shake my head, laugh a little and continue on my way. If I am fishing and someone low holes me or moves in on my spot I would probably talk calmly to him/her and explain how I feel and test their response.

If they are insulting, aggressive or just ignore me then I would most likely continue fishing and not get into a situation. Afterall most rivers are big enough that there are lots of spots to fish and I also believe that in the end Karma will bite that person in the ***.
At the end of the day I want to look back at my fishing experience as fun, relaxing and enjoyable and Not think about some peeing match that I could of won or lost.
One of the best posts here. There certainly is lots of places to fish the Chilliwack River if one wants to look around, move around and avoid the large popular runs. Out of the 9 fish I have landed this season 8 have been in runs no one else was fishing.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »

One of the best posts here. There certainly is lots of places to fish the Chilliwack River if one wants to look around, move around and avoid the large popular runs. Out of the 9 fish I have landed this season 8 have been in runs no one else was fishing.

that's just it, I had more satisfaction wandering around than mixing it up in the crowd.

re: rules elsewhere, I only post them in comparison. I'd much have what we have here foibles included, than having to spend a month or so's salary to fish a mile or so stretch of a river.

carpenter earns approx 13-14 hr season ticket ( licence equivalent ) 475.00 if you can get one!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

skitterbug

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

How many of you truely believe in Karma?

I see guys that lowhole somebody, leave their garbage by the river, throw their cigarettes in the river and they still catch more fish than me!

I don't even drop a 1" piece of line on the ground after I snip it. Still waiting for that Karma to kick in, getting a little frustated not hooking into one yet!!!!

Grey Fox

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »

I've lived for 65 yrs ...I've witnessed Karma retrieve its "pound o flesh" so many times that its more difficult not to believe in it.

Do something nasty in life and you may not pay for it right away but believe me ....Some Day....Some way....you WILL pay

Karma can be a total bitch, mess with her at your peril ;)

Baysel

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »

This is an interesting topic, as a newer angler I must say I didn't know all this a couple months ago when i started fishing. I would be all to open to any advice on angling or etiquette anyone was willing to give me on the river. Unfortunately I find most of the seasoned anglers out there have lost all patients when it comes to passing on the info, you all had to learn it somewhere as well.

The other week my girl friend was on the river (first season as well) with one of her other girl friends, (first day out) and they "low holed" some guy, they claim they were over a hundred feet down stream and this guy blew up, looked like he may have a stroke or something he was so worked up. I guess the guy was swearing and spitting?? Anyways had this guy come down and said hey, just so you know  . . . I know they would have apologized and moved further down. they were both bummed about it, made then not want to fish there anymore, at least not on the vedder.

Had I been there . . . I would have thrown him into the river to help cool him off.

Take it easy on the newbies out there, if you don't at least explain yourself how can you be sure people are ***'s and not just learning? I have never seen such a competative, unfriendly sport before,
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:37:27 AM by Baysel »

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »

So sorry to hear of your girlfriend and her friend encountering "river rage" Baysel but it does happen. Just like you encounter driver's on the road that have very little disregard for respect or for you and display bad sportsmanship or dare I say, driver-ship.
I wish it was different but it is what it is. Deal with it. Or the better thing to say is, learn to deal with it.

Our actions display how we deal with different situations and perhaps your girlfriend or her friend should of walked the 100 ft. to this fellow and calmly asked him what the problem was. Not in an aggressive manner, but totally polite. I can almost guarantee you he would of calmed down quite quickly and spoke with you. Most men are not abusive towards women, (I hope) and he would of spoken, you would of learned and he would of said, (hopefully), awww, what the hell. Go ahead and fish !!!

If you resort to violence what makes you better than this fellow. No ! Better to learn from the experience and expand and grow. Life is so short. Don't waste it by being angry and peed off at this fellows actions. I'm sorry also that you find most anglers not open to discuss their knowledge because I don't encounter that when I'm on the river and on this forum I've learned more than I could ever telll you.

I will say that if you need help, knowledge or just want to meet me on the river sometime and compare techniques just leave me a message and it shall be done. If you can't leave messages then just submit a message to this thread and I will make sure you have my contact info. Wishing you the Best Baysel.

Baysel

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »

Yup I agree with life being to short to be pissed off. Had it been me I would have had a good laugh I think, maybe wouldn't have diffused the situation but probably how I would have dealt with it. I think i got more worked up over it than normal cause if situations like this turn my GF and her friends off fishing it going to directly cut into my fishing time  ;).

Your also right, the online fishing world is very friendly, I was really relieved to see it was different than my on river encounters.

I also do a bit of whitewater kayaking and I may have been biased slightly from the start. The Chilliwack River is the only place I run into issues with Fisherman while kayaking. I always try to move opposite side of the river, not paddle or splash around and if someone has a fish on down stream Ill pull over well above and wait till there done. As with all things though there are paddlers and fisherman that think they own the river, I think doing both has given me a better appreciation for the situation. Its usually the guys throwing rocks that havnt caught anything this year, probably comes back to that Karma thing again though.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »

It's  not clear how old this article is as many of the streams he mentions do not receive hatchery plants & haven't for years and have very few steelhead. Some stuff defies credibility (a 30lbs steelhead from Weaver Creek?) and he doesn't know anything about the Coq' before the construction of the highway.That he repeatedly refers to Cogburn Creek as "Cogbum" is pretty indicative of his expertise in such maters.

Ralph, I think you may be a little hard on Richard. Richard Probert has been fishing and writing about fishing for years and his "expertise," the best I can tell, has come from solely from those years of fishing in the lower mainland.  Not exactly "expertise" but more "personal experience."  He apparently kept detailed journals of his fishing trips and used them later in his writings.  The "Cogbum" reference could be a simple typeface issue (he could have, like many old time writers, used an old fashion typewriter) or where the editor took the "r" and the "n" and made it an "m."   I am not sure what you meant by his not knowing anything about the Coq before the construction of the highway (or gas pipline...or fibre optic cable crossings) as he does say it was a world class fishery and from what I recall from the 70s it was indeed a world class run of 5-8 pound aggressive summer steel.  His reference in this article to the six week opening on the Coq dates the article to 1996, so it is certainly outdated today and many of the streams he mentions have since deteriorated and their steelhead runs with it.   That said, his reference to his friend's 30 pound steelhead in Weaver certainly sounds like a tall fish tale.
Not all those who wander are lost

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »

Having fished with you in the past i have seen your philosophy in action and commend you for it Athezone.Live long and prosper.
Riverman

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »

Having fished with you in the past i have seen your philosophy in action and commend you for it Athezone.Live long and prosper.

Thank You Riverman, very kind of you to say that and I can say the same about you. Class all the way.  Wishing you all the Best Riverman !
 Live long and prosper and I'll see you on the flow.  8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:10:08 AM by Athezone »