Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries  (Read 26949 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

While you may occasionally meet a nice guy or two in the busier sections of the lower river, it seems that the farther you fish from the road/parking areas, the nicer the people you encounter. Case in point:

Last Saturday while working my way downstream with DRP79, we got to a beautiful run in the middle of nowhere. There was one lonely spey caster fishing a truly succulent tail-out. Don and I kept working our way downstream until I was maybe 20 yards above the guy. At that point, he stopped fishing and walked towards me and offered me to have a crack at the prime water. We exchanged some pleasantries and even made a fly swap on the spot. He then proceeded to fish the top pf the run while first myself, and later Donny, got to fish the tail-out. The whole experience put a huge smile on my face. :)

Such things hardly ever happen in the lower river areas...too many me-me-meatheads.

skitterbug

Low holers!
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »

90% of people I find are very polite when fishing. When ever I come to run, I always ask if I can go below them if they're not moving, never had a problem yet and I've had some good conversations aswell. People seem very relieved when I ask them, rather than plunking myself below them.

Everyone that I've talked to says "low holing" the worst they've ever seen it. Why is this?

I was having a very enjoyable day fishing with my Dad, when a guy stepped in 5 ft below him and casted over his line!!! I've decided this is a form of BULLYING, he didn't get a reaction from my father or myself, not worth having a confrontation, but because we didn't say anything he got away with it. How do you handle getting "low holed" without violence?

For those of you that can't play nice in the sandbox, ever heard of a thing called Karma???

Thank you for the guys that "get it" , you rock and never lower your standards to these bullies.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Low holers!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

90% of people I find are very polite when fishing. When ever I come to run, I always ask if I can go below them if they're not moving, never had a problem yet and I've had some good conversations aswell. People seem very relieved when I ask them, rather than plunking myself below them.

Everyone that I've talked to says "low holing" the worst they've ever seen it. Why is this?

I was having a very enjoyable day fishing with my Dad, when a guy stepped in 5 ft below him and casted over his line!!! I've decided this is a form of BULLYING, he didn't get a reaction from my father or myself, not worth having a confrontation, but because we didn't say anything he got away with it. How do you handle getting "low holed" without violence?

For those of you that can't play nice in the sandbox, ever heard of a thing called Karma???

Thank you for the guys that "get it" , you rock and never lower your standards to these bullies.

Just talk to him. You dont have to get super angry, or completely sarcastic and obnoxious and rude. But you can spark up a conversation with the person, and maybe find out WHY they did what they did. If they dont know any better, as in its their first season, let them know what low holing is, why its rude, and preventative measures for the future. Or, if they do know what it is, and that they just did it, push em in the water.

Or, just call them on their BS and move on. LOW HOLE THEM HARDER! Go 2 feet below them.

Personally, I got low holed once. At an extremely small system no less. You could tell these guys thought they owned the river. They knew what they were doing, and Im sure felt quite entitled to the spot they were in. I was fishing a tiny run, and bam. 3 of em move in within 6 feet of me. I didnt say anything, as I knew they were just being dicks. I simply casted my fly line with zero grace, made em nervous, and then let my drift go an extra 20 feet down stream. If they want to come into MY space, they can work around me (Read: Not MY water, but my personal, and casting space.)
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

DRP79

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »

This happened a few times to me this summer near a popular meathole and what I did was make sure to use a good side arm cast using my 10.5 foot rod nd the guy beside me was, whoa crap. I just pleaded ignorance, said sorry and he moved away, lol.

opwins

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »

Most new fishermen dont understand the proper procedue, and some reason that "you" dont own the river which makes me chuckle.  But the the reality is that certain people do feel entitlement and they do know better....sad!  I got low holed badly a couple times last week.....  I simply left and moved on, as much as I want to say something its not always worth the trouble.  With so much river, I choose spots off the beaten path ;-)

firebird

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »

How do you handle getting "low holed" without violence?

Ummmm .... stay there and put up with it or move on?

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »

with as busy as the river gets there seems to be no way to avoid it . I have some injuries that limit my walking but i try to do as much as possible but some days i just can't ! so does that mean i cant fish because i cant get away from the totem pole people?  If i come to a run with a few people and ask but dont get a response then hell ya i'm going to toss in where i can :-\

blacktail2

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »

I too have some injuries that make it difficult to fish certain spots on the river, but being a keen fisherman and having my two sons with me we ventured out to the Chehailus this past coho season to do a little fishing. Those of you that know the area know just how tough it can be to get in there. At any rate we were fishing a certain section of the river evenly spaced out from near the top of the pool to the tailout. In comes a guy not twenty feet from me and wades right out into the river spooking all the coho, and nearly being swept away after stumbling and falling. My kids watched this in amazement and shrugged their heads. This guys actions made it near impossible for me to fish, he thought nothing of casting across my line many times resulting in some very nasty tangles.It was a bullying tactic to get me to move. Everytime he hooked my line from casting over it he always yanked the line towards him and untangled it. I tried giving him the stink eye a couple of times but he was clueless and actually reminded me of some Hill Billy from the movie "Deliverance". This was far from having no clue, it was a case of plain old bullying and arrogance.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »

That's when you cast over him and snag him in the my friend and go oops my bad :)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »

While you may occasionally meet a nice guy or two in the busier sections of the lower river, it seems that the farther you fish from the road/parking areas, the nicer the people you encounter. Case in point:

Last Saturday while working my way downstream with DRP79, we got to a beautiful run in the middle of nowhere. There was one lonely spey caster fishing a truly succulent tail-out. Don and I kept working our way downstream until I was maybe 20 yards above the guy. At that point, he stopped fishing and walked towards me and offered me to have a crack at the prime water. We exchanged some pleasantries and even made a fly swap on the spot. He then proceeded to fish the top pf the run while first myself, and later Donny, got to fish the tail-out. The whole experience put a huge smile on my face. :)

Such things hardly ever happen in the lower river areas...too many me-me-meatheads.

at one time very common,

but remember the'res good everywhere ::) even on the lower section  :o
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »

That's when you cast over him and snag him in the *** and go oops my bad :)

Exactly

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

Some people fencepost some runs and when you enter the top of the run and start pushing down the people just get agitated and mad. When you jump and walk past them they get all mad and what not. Would that be considered low holing?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

The very reason that "rotational or cast and step" angling is enforced in many jurisdictions many of those same jurisdictions also have a no mixed methods/style , ie: the run is being fished by a fly angler, the gear guy has to wait until it's clear and visa verse. My home river was that way until the advent of methods were control ed by water heights. ie: gear(spinning) or worming (pins) and fly (sunk or dry ) on top of the rotational rules ( when another angler is/was waiting) under twelves were exempt from method rules.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:30:48 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »

How about first come first serve??? If i get to the river at 4:30 am to get to a certain spot why should i move?? Just a scenario :)