Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries  (Read 26952 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Got to a run yesterday and right off the bat there was a double header by a fly guy down river and a guy beside me. So many people out there, lots of fence posting and low holing, made me wanna stop fishing, that was a first.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »

Saw 4 guys almost get into a fight because of low holing below Allison yesterday.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

Saw 4 guys almost get into a fight because of low holing below Allison yesterday.

I heard about that. It's pretty sad that it has to come down to that. I remember when Steelheading season meant friendlier people on the river.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:02:41 PM »

I saw a lot of fishermen ,old timers or even some of the fishing forum members(not just F.W.R members) do the same thing. It is sad.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »

I saw a lot of fishermen ,old timers or even some of the fishing forum members(not just F.W.R members) do the same thing. It is sad.

Low holers will get no less than an earful from me, just like the two Asian gentlemen who tried to plant themselves 10 feet downstream from me did on Saturday.
Low holing is not cool, even on the Vedder. Do it at your own risk.

On a more positive note, approach me nicely, and I may even offer you to fish beside me.

opwins

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »

Fished everyday last week and seemed like a good hardcore group of steelheaders but Saw a lot of low holing this weekend and friday, even from a couple of vets that are out there everyday......they know better.  I want more snowy conditions  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:36:39 PM by opwins »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

I followed a group of older gents through a series of 'new' small runs at mid-river. I reached a corner run with back eddies that was maybe 40 feet long.
I drifted through the seam and was surprised to see 2 younger fishers (maybe 18 yrs) had moved up from the previous run.  One of them essentially stood beside me, casted over me and hooked my line (!!)
He apologized and I calmly explained to him that it was inappropriate for him to fish below someone in a run and that he should be starting at the head of the run.
He moved 4 feet downstream, ignored me, and continued casting.
That area was a complete zoo. There was probably 80 fishers in 500m and ZERO fish hooked in the 3 hours we fished the area.   

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »

Low holers will get no less than an earful from me, just like the two Asian gentlemen who tried to plant themselves 10 feet downstream from me did on Saturday.
Low holing is not cool, even on the Vedder. Do it at your own risk.

On a more positive note, approach me nicely, and I may even offer you to fish beside me.

you didn't mean flyfishing magician and I did you? ;)

Just kidding. :D it was nice meeting you and Mastercaster.  I think I kind of low holed him when we all fished our way down to the next hole.  I didn't feel too bad about it either since he hooked three fish in a row right next to me in less than a half hour ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »

I dont know about you guys, but I go out to fish and have a good time and if a couple of idiots are out there want to low hole me than cool - that's their deal - but at the end of the day it is what it is - an internet river; heck, there's probably going to be a "vedder river beak" iPhone app soon - if I wanted to fish alone or with the most well mannered anglers then well...I probably wouldn't be fishing at all!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »

Searun17 was out fishing on Saturday and got low-holed as he was working down stream along the run and the guy hooked and landed a hatchery. That guy was lucky that I was not there as I am not as nice as searun is. I would of given the guy such an ear full.

Even though this is an internet river you would still expect people to know how to fish properly. I mean there are so many people that come to this and other sites that you would think that alot more fishermen would know about rotational angling. I am just glad that I can no longer fish this river as much as I used too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:42:13 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »

. That guy was lucky that I was not there as I am not as nice as searun is. I would of given the guy such an ear full.

Hey Geff, some of those guys doesn't give a sh**, then what ? Just don't like confrontation.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »

I always ask guys before stepping in a run if there is no space above and will continue to use good ethics while on the water - but at the same time it's not worth getting into a fist fight over IMO

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

It is not unusual to see someone walk into the run you are fishing and go fish below you. If we were to stop everyone, we will see lots of angry fishermen.
It would definitely be a perfect world if everyone do the rotations.

A good example is the Bergman Run. Most fishermen that comes to the run park themselves anywhere they can.
Unfortunately, most do not know how to fish in rotation.

On Saturday morning 7:30am, I walked into the run. I saw three fishermen fence posting the tailend. 2 in the middle and 2 flyfishers working their way down from the top of the run.

I waited for the flyfishers to work their way down before stepping into the top of the run. I made 3 casts and got one. While I was playing that fish down towards the middle of the run, someone decided to step into the spot I got the fish. As I was making my way down anyways, I did not mind. I started to fish below this guy and got another one. More people started to come and some decided to fish in between the fishers down towards the tailend and some above me. I worked my way down just behind the flyfishers and got into another one.

I am just saying that not everyone is willing to learn from someone else. I started steelheading like everyoine else- fence posting until I started reading and understand why we need to move.
I found that I caught more fish by moving constantly.

Just my 2 cents worth...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:11:54 PM by CohoMan »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »

IMO rotational angling and general etiquette are a lost cause for the busiest runs. It is almost comical to think about walking into a known honey hole of a run that is producing and get pissed when someone walks in below you. Its like getting pissed when someone casts over you at KWB. When a run is really producing the anglers that fish there every day are like a pack of wild dogs out there looking for a piece of action with new dogs showing up everyday! If you choose to fish these runs you have no right to complain about it!!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

you didn't mean flyfishing magician and I did you? ;)

No, of course not.
I was referring to the two guys that showed up and started setting camp just below us.
Oh, by the way, nice fish you caught there! ;)