Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries  (Read 26960 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Sure they are there to bonk...in some cases. But just because a fish is clipped doesn't make it legal to bonk! RE: cap, seymour...

milo

• Old Timer
Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »

Sure they are there to bonk...in some cases. But just because a fish is clipped doesn't make it legal to bonk! RE: cap, seymour...
You are back pedalling now...without success.

You stated in your first post: "Even though there are several flows that are open to steelhead retentioin, it is certainly not ethical to do with the exception of the vedder and possibly one other, IMO."

From the above post any reader will understand that it is NOT ethical
to retain hatchery steelhead from some rivers other than the Vedder and maybe another river although doing so is permitted.

When called on it, you bring up the Capilano and the Seymour rivers, which are CLOSED to steelhead retention - regardless of whether the fish are clipped or not. Well, DOH!

Make up your mind.

norton

Re: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

wow!, lol.  if you dont like the crowds, why are you fishing there. go explore, do a bit of hiking. theres lots of places on the vedder where there is no one fishing. if i see a bunch of fisherman in a run , thats the last place im going. today i landed and released a wild fish and there wasnt a soul in sight. im all for starting at the top of a run and working down, but some fisherman stand in the same place for hours. what are you supposed to do, sit on a log , and watch them, until they move?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »

You are back pedalling now...without success.

You stated in your first post: "Even though there are several flows that are open to steelhead retentioin, it is certainly not ethical to do with the exception of the vedder and possibly one other, IMO."

From the above post any reader will understand that it is NOT ethical
to retain hatchery steelhead from some rivers other than the Vedder and maybe another river although doing so is permitted.

When called on it, you bring up the Capilano and the Seymour rivers, which are CLOSED to steelhead retention - regardless of whether the fish are clipped or not. Well, DOH!

Make up your mind.

okay cool I'm really not too worried about it

steve B

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »

what the hell is low holeing ???????? explain

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

what the hell is low holeing ???????? explain

traditionally you work a run from the top (head) and work your way down to the tail trying to cover as much water as possible...low holing is when someone cuts in down stream from you (before you've reached the tail of the run) and starts fishing.

Carich980

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »

I'd say 90% of the time while using my spey rod, gear guys cut in directly below me as I'm working through a run and then statue. I have yet to have a single gear guy ask me or say anything before fishing below me. Doesn't bother me much I just walk back to the top of the run and if they haven't moved through go around them and continue on down, I think a lot of guys out there are ignorant to the river ethics. Then there are others that just dont give a crap.

LOL!!! Which reminds me of when we had all that cold and snow recently. I was on a run by myself braving the wind and this CP guy comes directly up to me, I thought for sure he was going to talk or ask. Nope! there goes the float directly over my swinging fly line..... doesn't even say hello /facepalm! Now you gotta think this guy would know the river ethics? Considering I respect all the gear Guys and ask them all the time, a little mutual respect would be nice once in a while. At least all the other Fly guys I've met on the river have always been polite and courteous and seem to follow the river ethics as posted on these forums.

I just recently got a CP reel and rod, still figuring out the whole cast and drift technique, so I'll be intrested to see if the attitude of other gear guys changes or not. I suspect some guys just have an " Us vs them " attitude.

Loop

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

Hey guys,
I am new on this site but this topic is of interest to me.

My two cents. I think it is mostly about education for new fisherman and communication. Some people will "low hole" because they don't care, but I think the majority of people that do it, just don't know the standard river eithics. The vedder gets more newbie fisherman than any other in BC. At least once a day during coho season, I was teaching guys how to identify a wild coho, so that I didn't have to watch people killing wild fish all day.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »

IMO rotational angling and general etiquette are a lost cause for the busiest runs. It is almost comical to think about walking into a known honey hole of a run that is producing and get pissed when someone walks in below you. Its like getting pissed when someone casts over you at KWB. When a run is really producing the anglers that fish there every day are like a pack of wild dogs out there looking for a piece of action with new dogs showing up everyday! If you choose to fish these runs you have no right to complain about it!!!

Unfortunatly you are correct.

x3

crowding is inevitable and some rules made in another era need to be adjusted to reflect reality.

LOL! You must be lower-river meatheads then. ;D

]Wow!, lol.  if you dont like the crowds, why are you fishing there. go explore, do a bit of hiking. theres lots of places on the vedder where there is no one fishing.

Bingo, Norton. Especially in the Upper and Mid river. :)
The more you move, the better the chances to find some empty undisturbed water... ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »

wow!, lol.  if you dont like the crowds, why are you fishing there. go explore, do a bit of hiking. theres lots of places on the vedder where there is no one fishing. if i see a bunch of fisherman in a run , thats the last place im going. today i landed and released a wild fish and there wasnt a soul in sight. im all for starting at the top of a run and working down, but some fisherman stand in the same place for hours. what are you supposed to do, sit on a log , and watch them, until they move?

You ask if you can fish below them. If they truly are fence posting they'll let you fish below them.

I remember being the only one fishing a big run (think 500) and having another fisherman walk in no less 30 feet below me and then walk out waste deep into the river. I politely asked him to put in above me which he ignored. The funniest thing happened, the fish started schooling up around his feet so naturally I started drifting to where the fish were. I even think I got a few bites but every time I set the hook I missed. He left shortly after and the fish swam back out to where they normally lie.
Actions speak louder than words.

Bandit420

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

Me and my buddy were fishing a run and we were at the tailout. There was one guy who was fishing the head of the run and he was slowly making his way down. These two low holers came down, didnt even ask the guy if they could fish below him and started fishing 20ft from the guy. I think it was 3 or 4 casts in the one guy closest to the head of the run(low holer) hooked into a steel but lost it after about 30 seconds. The guy that was originaly fishing the run obviously noticed this and just stepped back from the run and just sat down on a near by log. I felt really bad for this guy because that basically should have been his fish. The low holer after hooking into that fish was instantly on his phone bragging away to someone and had no regard or respect for buddy. Atleast the low holer lost that fish because he didnt deserve to land it  ;D
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »

K.W.B., Canel, Lickman road etc.., most of the lower section. It was crazy at the weekend..But most of the fish are pull out from there..
I avoid those places like a" fat kid avoids vegetables".It only takes one fish to make my day.To get that fish with no one else around is heaven on earth.I hope you fellas keep crowding each other out in the lower end.Makes for less people where i like to fish."NEWS FLASH" there fish spread out the entire system!!! ;)

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »

Bandit420,

How was that fish basically his? He didnt hook it or catch it? I walk up to people on runs all the time, and will catch fish even if the person was there all day. The river belongs to everyone so I don't see a problem with you guys and "low holers." I dont fish steelhead runs with people on them. But seriously anyone who complains about a "low holer" is a "big whiner."

Bandit420

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

Joyoffishing, its called common courtesy and BASIC fishing etiquete. low holing and low holers(im not going to name anyone), is just plain arrogant and selfish and makes for confrontation. you say that you dont fish runs with people on it yet you said you will catch a fish with people fishing the run, so make up your mind. That fish was basically his because he was fishing the head of the run and he would have likely caught it if that guy(low holer) didnt barge in and cast below him.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

X3

like it or not; it's a put and take fishery, the merits of which will often lead to heated debates. That said, when more mobile I had more satisfaction trecking and fishing pocket water, whether with gear or fly and very often I met and chatted with good, like minded souls.
Never could seem to be comforatable in that over crowded lower section, though again ,sometimes I met folks that were helpful and pleasant to be with.
My brother on the other hand often fished low down and was not one to mess with, seemed he would enforce the rules PDQ should an oaf or bully appear on the scene, no matter what river!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!