Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries  (Read 26951 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Steelheading, crowding, Lower Mainland hatchery steelhead fisheries
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »

IMO rotational angling and general etiquette are a lost cause for the busiest runs. It is almost comical to think about walking into a known honey hole of a run that is producing and get pissed when someone walks in below you. Its like getting pissed when someone casts over you at KWB. When a run is really producing the anglers that fish there every day are like a pack of wild dogs out there looking for a piece of action with new dogs showing up everyday! If you choose to fish these runs you have no right to complain about it!!!

Unfortunatly you are correct.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:01 AM »

IMO rotational angling and general etiquette are a lost cause for the busiest runs. It is almost comical to think about walking into a known honey hole of a run that is producing and get pissed when someone walks in below you. Its like getting pissed when someone casts over you at KWB. When a run is really producing the anglers that fish there every day are like a pack of wild dogs out there looking for a piece of action with new dogs showing up everyday! If you choose to fish these runs you have no right to complain about it!!!

Yes I totally agree, but when there is only one other person fishing a run like what happened in Searun's case, then I think you have a right to get a little pissy.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »

I'm assuming the conditions are the same as yesterday as it didn't rain... heading out around noon today.

Can someone please tell me the areas I should AVOID that have too much pressure...
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »

Can someone please tell me the areas I should AVOID that have too much pressure...

K.W.B., Canel, Lickman road etc.., most of the lower section. It was crazy at the weekend..But most of the fish are pull out from there..

roseph

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

Also 100% agree but still think it sucks.  I was at one of these runs (didn't know it was producing as much as it was) last week.  Started at first light at the head of the pool and by the time the sun had come up and I was halfway through the run about a dozen guys had come in each low-holing eachother as they arrived!  

This year seem worse than others.  I haven't caught many fish so I've been keeping low-holing stats in lieu.  Out of 27 'fisherman' just 3 have not low-holed me or have asked to fish below.  

azafai

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »

X3  ...   to wake up and accept the reality

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »

Unfortunate, but true.
Some popular runs on the lower river might have up to a dozen guys showing up at first light and it would be unrealistic to expect them to all start at the top and work down as time is precious at that time of day. Shot gun start, like in golf, is the only realistic alternative, but hope everyone would work down and not fence post giving everyone a rotational chance at the entire run. Today only two rivers on the lower mainland is open for steelhead retention, so crowding is inevitable and some rules made in another era need to be adjusted to reflect reality.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:33:30 AM by bigblue »

hookR

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »

Today only two rivers on the lower mainland is open for steelhead retention, so crowding is inevitable and some rules made in another era need to be adjusted to reflect reality.

2 rivers in the lower mainland open for retention? Which other river is open?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »

2 rivers in the lower mainland open for retention? Which other river is open?

Theres 4 I can think of?
The Bigger The Better!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

Theres 4 I can think of?

There's more, actually.
Read this article and check the regs...easy to figure them out.  ;)

http://www.steelheadermag.com/probertsteelheading.html

hookR

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »

There's more, actually.
Read this article and check the regs...easy to figure them out.  ;)

http://www.steelheadermag.com/probertsteelheading.html

Thanks Milo

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

Even though there are several flows that are open to steelhead retentioin, it is certainly not ethical to do with the exception of the vedder and possibly one other, IMO

river walker

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »

Even though there are several flows that are open to steelhead retentioin, it is certainly not ethical to do with the exception of the vedder and possibly one other, IMO

If it was unethical they wouldnt clip fish . The government funds these programs . Clipped fish are there to bonk.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »

If it was unethical they wouldnt clip fish . The government funds these programs . Clipped fish are there to bonk.

X2

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »

X3
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"