Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Gong show  (Read 18190 times)

salmonsturgeontrout

Re: Vedder Gong show
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »

unfortunately they can write all the tickets they want, its collecting the money that is the problem. It's not like icbc where they can force you to pay( unless its a huge fine).

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »

imo you are missing out on some great fishing. It's beyond me why many of the people on here constantly fish the beek holes and then B*tch about the unethical methods. i've been fishing the vedder since late august and have yet to do much fishing within 50 yards of another angler unless I am there with a buddy. The meat holes of the Vedder live up to their rep but the rest of the river will give you some pretty good fishing opportunities.

Let them stick to their hunny holes.   ;D   ;)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »

imo you are missing out on some great fishing. It's beyond me why many of the people on here constantly fish the beek holes and then B*tch about the unethical methods. i've been fishing the vedder since late august and have yet to do much fishing within 50 yards of another angler unless I am there with a buddy. The meat holes of the Vedder live up to their rep but the rest of the river will give you some pretty good fishing opportunities.

Could'nt agree more HN. Was out today with a couple buddies and we had no problem finding a quiet spot and finding plenty of fish as well. We hooked into very few pinks as the roe we were using worked quite well for the jacks, coho's and one very large hatchery doe springer. We had lot's of fun, enjoyed a beautiful day and only encountered very few fishermen that left us all to ourselves.

Get out while the weather's fairly good and enjoy our beautiful land. Forget the beeks and all the other loser's that have no skill and no ethic's. I used to just get all worked up when I saw people do their sad stuff but now it's better and safer to instruct and advise than to raise my voice. I still raise my voice sometimes but only if the fellow is less than 6 ft. tall, (just kidding).

Life and enjoying it is a state of mind. If you're mentally prepared for what you know may occurr then if makes it a lot easier to enjoy your day. In other words, when you go to a fair expect to see a few clowns.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »

I think there are about 20 kilometers of Vedder to fish. Virtually every salmon that enters the river passes by somewhere along that 20 km's.

I don't get why people go to where the crowds congregate, then come on forums like this and post how terrible the Vedder is....   I live in Chilliwack and am proud of what a gem of a river we have. Unfortunately it draws a lot of fishermen.

Avoid the crowds and you can enjoy a day on the Vedder as much as many of us do.

Huge number of the people fishing the Vedder are not fishermen, they are garbage.
I am beginning to understand why some people I know who have fished BC rivers for a long time don't even consider the Vedder a river.
I spent half a day in the lower river yesterday and fishermen were outnumbered 10:1 by the long liners. Out of 30 people who passed through the run there were 5 of perhaps who had leaders shorter than 2 feet.
Everyone else was using bouncing betties, and 2/0 hooks with 10 foot leaders.
They use nothing on the hook at all.
There were 7-8 adult springs taken from the run by the long liners, none of them legally.
There is snagging going on, flossing, rod passing to uncles, fathers, sons.
I've fished this run in previous years and have never seen this before.
Where are all the guys I was seeing the previous years???
The reason people gravitate to some runs is because those runs are good and accessible.

It's shameful what has allowed to happen to this "gem".
It's a disgrace of the DFO and the police that they don't have the mustard to jail this garbage.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:09:07 PM by adriaticum »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

I think referring to a lot of the people as "garbage" is a little strong but I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately people learn as I did by observing what others around them are doing and there is no worse way to learn than by watching people on the Vedder.   

There is an easy solution to the whole problem.  Just make the vedder catch and release only and I bet you all the snaggers would be gone for the most part.   It would be a shame because I like to keep a nice fish as much as anyone but I like fishing even more.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »

I think referring to a lot of the people as "garbage" is a little strong but I understand your frustration.  Unfortunately people learn as I did by observing what others around them are doing and there is no worse way to learn than by watching people on the Vedder.   

There is an easy solution to the whole problem.  Just make the vedder catch and release only and I bet you all the snaggers would be gone for the most part.   It would be a shame because I like to keep a nice fish as much as anyone but I like fishing even more.

Make it C&R and say goodbye to the hatchery. Enforcement is the only way.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »

some good points raised here boys. I agree, most people on the vedder are just complete GARBAGE! there's no way to sugar coated it is what it is...I too have seen people using betties there and couldn't believe my eyes....wtf people, really?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »

Huge number of the people fishing the Vedder are not fishermen, they are garbage.
I am beginning to understand why some people I know who have fished BC rivers for a long time don't even consider the Vedder a river. I have so many friends that think i'm crazy for fishing there, and probably don't want to fish with me just because I fish in a community of snaggers, despite the fact I fish ethically and with integrity
I spent half a day in the lower river yesterday and fishermen were outnumbered 10:1 by the long liners. Out of 30 people who passed through the run there were 5 of perhaps who had leaders shorter than 2 feet. It should be illegal to fish with leaders longer then 3 feet when it's not sockeye
Everyone else was using bouncing betties, and 2/0 hooks with 10 foot leaders.  gross.
They use nothing on the hook at all. I consider it a plus when they are actually using barbless
There were 7-8 adult springs taken from the run by the long liners, none of them legally. they bonk the fish quicker than they can say "fish on"
There is snagging going on, flossing, rod passing to uncles, fathers, sons. gang fishing at it's finest!
I've fished this run in previous years and have never seen this before.
Where are all the guys I was seeing the previous years??? real rivers that should not be discussed on this site ;)
The reason people gravitate to some runs is because those runs are good and accessible.

It's shameful what has allowed to happen to this "gem".
It's a disgrace of the DFO and the police that they don't have the mustard to jail this garbage.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »

Why don't we all just get together and take over the popular runs with proper fishing techniques?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:23 PM »

Why don't we all just get together and take over the popular runs with proper fishing techniques?

They'll just stand behind and cast over you.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

Gonna be hard for them to cast when they get my hook in their eye from my back cast

RossP

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »

Eight of us did that a few years ago at KWB I have never seen so many pissed off fishermen. We were fly and spey fishi g and working our way down the run, cast, strip in steop down and repeat. I was the low man on the run and took a lot of flak and was called some unmentionable names from some genntlemen that were glued to their spots. They did learn a little about rotational fishing that day. WS fun but I do not think we made a difference we just POed  some snaggers and fence posts, it was fun though.

I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »

unfortunately they can write all the tickets they want, its collecting the money that is the problem. It's not like icbc where they can force you to pay( unless its a huge fine).

I don't agree, DFO, Police and ICBC are a part of the same organization.
Government. They should be able to cross-enforce the law. Law is the law, is the law no matter what it applies to and no matter where it's broken.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »

Government. They should be able to cross-enforce the law. Law is the law, is the law no matter what it applies to and no matter where it's broken.

I do agree that they are somewhat part of the same organization but they probably have priorities on how they are supposed to spend their resources. Unfortunately the government probably feels that ICBC being an insurance company is much more profitable to "invest" in than to hire more DFO officers or to enforce their fines.

Nonetheless, i hope the snaggers out there will one day get some bad karma for the cupcakes they do. On the side note, it really makes me angry when me and a buddy arrive at a location early in the morning to fly fish and then some "locals" or so they seem come in to cast their bait casters right between us.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

DFO is federal, police can be municipal, provincial or federal (in Chilliwack's case, they are federal RCMP), ICBC is provincial.

The responsibility for enforcement on the Chilliwack/Vedder river is with DFO.

DFO is so strangled with budget cuts right now it's a miracle that you'll see anyone.
Any time you actually see some enforcement on the river, it's probably provincial conservation officers acting on DFO's behalf.

There are major restrictions on cross-enforcement and even sharing information between government organizations.