Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Gong show  (Read 18179 times)

poper

Vedder Gong show
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »

I took a look CPR bridge to see how many anglers were out today, and It was packed, there were tugawars going on,pinks getting launched on the rocks and punted back in,people snagging 90% of fish caught. It was a joke! Other than that it was nice day on the river.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Gong show
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »

I took a look CPR bridge to see how many anglers were out today, and It was packed, there were tugawars going on,pinks getting launched on the rocks and punted back in,people snagging 90% of fish caught. It was a joke! Other than that it was nice day on the river.

Are you sure it wasn't just 89%?  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

noobfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

another reminder why I don't plan to fish the vedder ... it would make me sick and ruin my day.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »

another reminder why I don't plan to fish the vedder ... it would make me sick and ruin my day.

Agreed. Fished a different river for only over an hour and hooked into a few fish but lost them. Still rather fish this particular river even if I dont get the results that the Vedder would give me.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »

I think there are about 20 kilometers of Vedder to fish. Virtually every salmon that enters the river passes by somewhere along that 20 km's.

I don't get why people go to where the crowds congregate, then come on forums like this and post how terrible the Vedder is....   I live in Chilliwack and am proud of what a gem of a river we have. Unfortunately it draws a lot of fishermen.

Avoid the crowds and you can enjoy a day on the Vedder as much as many of us do.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:16:36 AM »

Don't encourage them to spread out.   ;)
There would be more empty runs available   ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »

It's mob mentality. Guys show up at the river and see other fishermen there, they assume that fishing is good so they join in. Others see this and they join in. Well, you get the picture.

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't encourage them to spread out.   ;)
There would be more empty runs available   ;D

Sea Nymph

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:53:22 AM »

I was up by Peach  rd  yesterday with my daughter and witnessed some great behavior by these so called fishermen. One snagging ugly pinks that I wouldn't feed to my dog and of course keeping them. Unfortunately he was across the river so it was to hard to say anything to him. Another one beside me halls out a clean healthy doe pink onto the rocks bleeding, takes a picture and then gently releases it back into the water. Come on do you really think it's going to survive? I said to him as politely as possible having my daughter there that if he does not intend to keep the fish to release them in the water. Of course he pretends to understand me and continues on fishing. it really makes me think on why I my brought my daughter down there.

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »

paul1971

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:49 AM »

What I witnessed at the browne rd area today was stomach churning people killing foul hooked pinks, kids fishing with there fathers no bait not even the token piece of wool just a bare hook snagging pinks in 6 inches of water. Throwing garbage down on the river bank. I had to leave (after making a call to the dfo) it was to sickening to watch anymore.On a brighter note had a good morning fishing the thompson park area with like minded fisherman all short floating and doing there best to not to foul hook the pink salmon that where schooled up in the pools. >:(

Weatherby

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »

why cant the dfo just designate one officer to that stretch of river. Doesnt sound hard to do.....and they would be writing tickets all day long

frozensalmon

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »

did they come
more coho, more coho... ::)

RG

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

Unfortunately this is just one of many disgusting and dissapointing stories from the Vedder.  From an ethical standpoint I can't even comprehend the complete and utter disregard of something as important and sacred as the salmon, not to mention the lack of sportsmanship.  Many of us can't and will never understand, and many of us see our recreational opportunities as a privilege and not a right, and there are many of us who contribute to the conservation and enhancement of our fisheries and educate themselves of the importance and fragility of our resources.  I would personally gladly give up my salmon fishing privilege If it meant we could clean up the act of a certain few and bring respect back to the rivers in this region.  Sadly,  the conservation authority is under staffed and cannot be everywhere, perhaps there is more we can do?  Learn to fish programs for adults, river watcher programs and more community involvement.   Some of these things already exist in one form or another, just have to get the word out and get involved.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »

I know some people may not agree with me, but its time to close retention of pinks on the Vedder for the year.  We've had a good kick at the can with the Fraser and most of the pinks in the system now are too far gone to be considered "smokers".  In my opinion, it should have been closed by the 15th of Sept.  No, its not a conservation concern with respect to pinks, its a conservation concern with respect to other salmon.  The DFO shows concern for threatened interior coho stocks by instituting bait bans on the fraser rightfully so) yet allows this gong show to perpetuate on the Vedder.  Yesterday I saw another Cultus Lake sockeye dead in a pool caught by an angler thinking that it was a hatchery coho and yes I let him know what he did wrong (didn't have my phone with me to call it in).

In other rivers, we close off spawning channels and areas where spawing fish are stacked but in the Vedder, where pinks are spawning everywhere, its a free for all.

In the absence of increased enforcement on the river, this would be the only solution in my opinion.