Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Gong show  (Read 18207 times)

Zackattack

Re: Vedder Gong show
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

on the topic of a vedder gongshow I could't believe how many huge coolers were being filled up with half decomposed pinks this weekend!
it was my 2nd time river fishing but even I knew these fish were beyond "smokable"
wow

paulbish

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »

Was on the Canal both Saturday and Sunday away from the crowds near the bridge. People around me rather civilized, handled fish well, no taking of boot springs or pinks, no snaggers, about 80% fishing roe. Great group of people.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »

DFO is federal, police can be municipal, provincial or federal (in Chilliwack's case, they are federal RCMP), ICBC is provincial.

The responsibility for enforcement on the Chilliwack/Vedder river is with DFO.

DFO is so strangled with budget cuts right now it's a miracle that you'll see anyone.
Any time you actually see some enforcement on the river, it's probably provincial conservation officers acting on DFO's behalf.

There are major restrictions on cross-enforcement and even sharing information between government organizations.

Yeah agreed, anything public in BC if anybody hasn't noticed is very inefficient and slow. But you have to give some credit to our government for doing an OK job during this recession, I just hope next year our economy will be the same/better and not worse(most likely), then our government will have some more time and resources for departments related to our environment.

I haven't seen myself how the gong shows are like, since i usually take the effort to do some scouting (love long walks on the boulder beaches on the Thompson  :-X . But at least these issue can be addressed by the DFO officers or provincial conservation officers. It is probably a whole different story when FN are involved since they are governed at the Federal level.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

actually i did see dfo present at the vedder crossing. at least there was 1. :'(

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »

actually i did see dfo present at the vedder crossing. at least there was 1. :'(

And he was probably in charge of all the rivers between Squamish and Chilliwack!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »

unfortunately they can write all the tickets they want, its collecting the money that is the problem. It's not like icbc where they can force you to pay( unless its a huge fine).

Increase the fines and give them to a collection agency.  Once their credit is screwed they might find another hobby.
Not all those who wander are lost

Oilcruzer

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:39 AM »

After reading the shared anger, it strikes me as funny that we can't have a volunteer DFO position, for the sole purpose of preserving fishing. 

I would gladly take a course in enforcement. 
Match two volunteers up, and one videos while the other writes tickets. 
Or assist the DFO.
I would gladly Commit half a day on any weekend too.

Just don't send me out solo.  Too may weirdos.

And why isn't there a video on fisheries site showing illegal fishing tactics... Something that must be watched to validate licenses?  I.e. Enter your number as acknowledgement that you saw it.

StillAqua

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »

After reading the shared anger, it strikes me as funny that we can't have a volunteer DFO position, for the sole purpose of preserving fishing. 

I would gladly take a course in enforcement. 
Match two volunteers up, and one videos while the other writes tickets. 
Or assist the DFO.
I would gladly Commit half a day on any weekend too.

Just don't send me out solo.  Too may weirdos.

Don't see why we couldn't have volunteer Fisheries Guardians. Usually they are paired with a Fisheries Officer to double the number of people in the field.
From the DFO Wiki:

Fishery Officers are designated under section 5(1) of the Act and as peace officers employed to educate and enforce all provisions of the Act and other related acts and regulations. They carry firearms and other weapons such as pepper spray while conducting patrols and other enforcement initiatives.

Fishery Guardians are also designated under section 5(1) of the Act and as peace officers but are not necessarily employed by the department. For example, a provincial conservation officer may be designated as a fishery guardian for the purpose of enforcing the Act. In general, fishery guardians cannot conduct a search unless authorized by a warrant or conditions are met under warrantless search of the Criminal Code of Canada. Under the Aboriginal Guardian Program, certain first nations may submit to the Minister to designate certain band members as guardians.

StillAqua

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »

DFO is so strangled with budget cuts right now it's a miracle that you'll see anyone.
And it's going to get worse; all Fed departments including DFO are taking another 5-10% cut in the next Fed budget. The first thing that goes is overtime and thier ability to patrol and do investigations outside of normal working hours when fishing is at its peak. The last Fish Cop I chatted with said even gas for boats and trucks can be a limiting factor. Now that's just getting silly....

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

I believe this year they also didnt recruit any members.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

Hmmm - no mention of the whitewater float flossers?  ??? Don't they get any disdain?  I've never seen so many people with polarized glasses waiting for a coho to come by so they can floss with their tiny piece of white wool (or snag the fish somewhere on the head).  Remember, you don't need a long leader to floss, just an unwilling fish! :P