Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Gong show  (Read 18039 times)

RG

Re: Vedder Gong show
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »

I couldn't agree more

kindalonismo

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »

What I witnessed at the browne rd area today was stomach churning people killing foul hooked pinks, kids fishing with there fathers no bait not even the token piece of wool just a bare hook snagging pinks in 6 inches of water. Throwing garbage down on the river bank. I had to leave (after making a call to the dfo) it was to sickening to watch anymore.On a brighter note had a good morning fishing the thompson park area with like minded fisherman all short floating and doing there best to not to foul hook the pink salmon that where schooled up in the pools. >:(

Was there Friday before work for a few hours at a couple of different spots and witnessed the same things.  I couple of guys "catching" there limit of pinks, walked by them and had a word and it did not seem to phase them at all!

Really slow day for me...guess I was used the wrong set-up! How dare do I use a short float, with barbless hooks!  ;)

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 11:08:55 AM »

What I witnessed at the browne rd area today was stomach churning people killing foul hooked pinks, kids fishing with there fathers no bait not even the token piece of wool just a bare hook snagging pinks in 6 inches of water. Throwing garbage down on the river bank. I had to leave (after making a call to the dfo) it was to sickening to watch anymore.On a brighter note had a good morning fishing the thompson park area with like minded fisherman all short floating and doing there best to not to foul hook the pink salmon that where schooled up in the pools. >:(

Wow... it's sad that all those dads are teaching their kids how to snag fish...

strobes

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »

I too witnessed the patheticness of the meat hungry "anglers". I was just upstream from the vedder crossing and the guy down from me was fishing with a bare hook and weight. Couldnt tell him he was wrong becuase he couldn't understand what I was telling him. Then a group of guys showed up and were casting and then ripping the hook back. They were speaking in a European language.  Enough was enough and I made the call to RAPP.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

RG

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »

Good on ya, maybe if we flood the RAPP hotline we'll get our point across

noobfisher

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

Good on ya, maybe if we flood the RAPP hotline we'll get our point across

I agree totally, if the violations don't get reported, DFO can't justify people extra resources out there to deal with these idiots.  The more complaints, perhaps the more patrols and enforcement they can put on the Vedder.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »

This is why i fish stillwater only. Quality fishing no hassles ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »

I think that if we all call in violations we witness, more officers will be sent out to the hot spots. although I hate playing junior fish cop, I think its the only way to stop the snaggery and beakery

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

The vedder is no secret, if they actually cared they would be there.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

Saw two Asian men snagging pinks in a puddle which was about a half foot deep. Cooler was right beside them and they were just dropping them in.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

This is why i fish stillwater only. Quality fishing no hassles ;D

imo you are missing out on some great fishing. It's beyond me why many of the people on here constantly fish the beek holes and then B*tch about the unethical methods. i've been fishing the vedder since late august and have yet to do much fishing within 50 yards of another angler unless I am there with a buddy. The meat holes of the Vedder live up to their rep but the rest of the river will give you some pretty good fishing opportunities.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »

imo you are missing out on some great fishing. It's beyond me why many of the people on here constantly fish the beek holes and then B*tch about the unethical methods. i've been fishing the vedder since late august and have yet to do much fishing within 50 yards of another angler unless I am there with a buddy. The meat holes of the Vedder live up to their rep but the rest of the river will give you some pretty good fishing opportunities.

Shhhh.... ;D

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »

I think there are about 20 kilometers of Vedder to fish. Virtually every salmon that enters the river passes by somewhere along that 20 km's.

I don't get why people go to where the crowds congregate, then come on forums like this and post how terrible the Vedder is....   I live in Chilliwack and am proud of what a gem of a river we have. Unfortunately it draws a lot of fishermen.

Avoid the crowds and you can enjoy a day on the Vedder as much as many of us do.
I certainly agree what a gem that river is.   For what its worth I have been fishing that river for a number of years and its taking a long time to learn how to avoid crowded areas - anywhere within easy reach of parking is crowded.   Even spots that I knew about last year that were relatively uncrowded are no longer there because the river is constantly changing.

If you live in Chilliwack I can quite see how you would find those uncrowded areas by hiking in advance or whatever is necessary.  If you don't live in the area it is far easier to gravitate to crowded areas just because it saves on time (..especially for people who can't get out all that often).   Yesterday I took the whole day out just to explore the entire river from top to bottom to see if I could locate uncrowded spots that looked promising - I think I found a few areas but it requires a lot of work up front for someone less familiar with the river as in my case.   I think that may answer the question as to why people gravitate to crowded areas.

One other thing I don't get is I have been watching people quite closely and I could not find one example of anybody fishing with his or her leader less than twice the depth of the water in any of the areas I was watching.   I can only assume that none of the people from this forum were there yesterday  ???

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »

Thoughtful post by Floater. Although I agree with alwaysfishin that there's always water away from the crowds, finding good water is difficult to do if you don't live in the area.  The river changes from year to year, and finding that magic spot without crowds is hard to do when you have limited time on the water and you don't live nearby (i.e. you have a 9 - 5 job in Vancouver).  I really found that out the hard way, now that I have 2 kids (one just 5 months old).  It takes a long time to check out spots, and you end up sacrificing fishing time.  Tough to do when you're a weekend warrior and you don't live in the area.  I can see living in Chilliwack to be a great advantage to scouting out the river!  I'm just lucky that I have good vacation benefits!   :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:16:10 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »

its is hard to watch. i don't understand why there isn't more enforcement. with all the tickets they could have handed today,would have payed for 10 officers. why cant they make a guy who just rights tickets and doesn't have to do the investigating part, kinda like a bylaw enforcement. then call dfo when there someting serious. think of all the barbed tickets and no licence tickets they could have handed out. i bet people would volunteer for this position to help educate people. any enforcement would get people to think twice. on a better note managed to catch a 16lb spring on my new g-loomis pin rod on some pink roe. bring on the rain, move some fresh cohos in ;D