Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 1st 2011  (Read 4794 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 1st 2011
« on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »

Out this morning, river is a bit low and very clear water. Started in the upper with nothing to show for an hour or more so i decided to move to the lower. WOW! the number of anglers has gone up two fold since last year alone. The parking area next to the CPR bridge was so full that most people had to park right on the gravel bar. Fishing seemed better than the upper but most of the people were just hitting old male pinks. After looking around for a while i decided to to take a little walk up river to a hole i fished last year that not many people fish because its 10 mins walk from the car  :P. Long story short it was the right decision as i lost one very big coho doe that showed off its beauty as it put on an aerial display before the line went slack :( After about Five minutes of gathering myself i fished on with not a bite for nearly 2 hours. Persistence finally payed off as i was rewarded with a VERY chrome jack spring that fought just as hard as his bigger cousins. Roe was the ticket it also kept the spawning pinks off the hook :)
[

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 1st 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »

3 jack springs hooked, 1 landed, 17 cohos hooked between my dad and I, mix of jacks and adults, 8 landed between us, 2 hatchery and 6 wilds. Horrible landing ratio for me, lost way to many hoes. Thankfully I didn't hook into any pinks. All fish were hooked on roe and lost the three biggest cohos by shore on blades. All fish had my hook well inside their mouth, seemed the group of guys I was fishing with were the only people trying to get the fish to bite. Not packed where I was fishing, plenty of room. At the end of the day there were 3 seals in the canal chasing the fish around. Lots of hoes in the river along with plenty of spring.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »

3 jack springs hooked, 1 landed, 17 cohos hooked between my dad and I, mix of jacks and adults, 8 landed between us, 2 hatchery and 6 wilds. Horrible landing ratio for me, lost way to many hoes. Thankfully I didn't hook into any pinks. All fish were hooked on roe and lost the three biggest cohos by shore on blades. All fish had my hook well inside their mouth, seemed the group of guys I was fishing with were the only people trying to get the fish to bite. Not packed where I was fishing, plenty of room. At the end of the day there were 3 seals in the canal chasing the fish around. Lots of hoes in the river along with plenty of spring.
Thats a lot of coho :o I'll just take a couple on my trip up there tomorrow :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

Dads first Vedder fish on the centerpin so he decided to keep it.

First Coho of the season, nice wild after loosing a larger hatchery by my feet while I was trying to tail it.

Messy hands and a difficult bank led to little pictures, but what a great day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »

I've moved most of the posts in this thread to this year's official Vedder River whine at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=28121.0

Please proceed to the above link to express how unfortunate Lower Mainland anglers are by allowing ourselves to be surrounded by this type of abuse.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:15:54 AM »

Dads first Vedder fish on the centerpin so he decided to keep it.

First Coho of the season, nice wild after loosing a larger hatchery by my feet while I was trying to tail it.

Messy hands and a difficult bank led to little pictures, but what a great day.

Nice "jacques". They have been few and far between this year for me.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »

Please proceed to the above link to express how unfortunate Lower Mainland anglers are by allowing ourselves to be surrounded by this type of abuse.

LOL!!!!!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »

this tidal fraser bait ban is just stupid in my opinion.  >:(  its just as hard to catch coho and springs without a bait ban.  :-[but at least you have a fighting chance when your out there. I personally think this sort of thing is not needed anymore. looks like the majority of the hatchery salmon we would catch in the tidal fraser end up in the vedder/ harrison/ stave river anyways. GOOD!.......... now i got that out of my system.  i feel better already

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »

looks like the majority of the hatchery salmon we would catch in the tidal fraser end up in the vedder/ harrison/ stave river anyways.

The majority yes, but it's the protected runs (interior coho and steelhead) that are running at the same time that the bait ban is intended to help protect. There are many more issues that these fish face, some worse than a rec angler using bait, but it's one step that is there to protect them on their way

mikeyman

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »

Okay lets put a bait ban on the Fraser, Okay now lets seine the straight all the way to the end of September, what a great idea! Our fisheries dept. is  F'ed.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

GOOD STUFF! Thanks again for the advice for the Thompson!