Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, September 25th 2011: Ho's on the beach. A break from Pink fever  (Read 13058 times)

MIKE1

Sandman

• Old Timer

One way to avoid the criticism is to not take a photo of a fish you are going to release unless it is on the line and in the water:

or

or

... not as heroic perhaps, but you avoid the criticism of over handling.  These two were released without removing them from the water or even touching them (grab the fly and twist).

Otherwise, if you are bonking it, take the pic any way you like.

or

..no one cares because they are dead already.
Not all those who wander are lost

hue-nut

• Old Timer

Off thead, but what kind of line is that on your reel?

siglon f floating mono

Also no one would of jumped all over this guy if he had just taken the original advise offered by bren without getting so defensive. We've all done dumb stuff with fish  and sometimes we post it and get ripped

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

siglon f floating mono

Also no one would of jumped all over this guy if he had just taken the original advise offered by bren without getting so defensive. We've all done dumb stuff with fish  and sometimes we post it and get ripped

I agree.  A simple "sorry, my mistake" would have ended it.  Had he posted his pics in any other forum, the reaction would be the same or even harsher.  I don't think we should discourage anyone from posting pics, just be mindful of what you are posting.   Nice fish BTW and a good catch on the beach. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Some fish will swim onto the shore after you let them go. Happened to me that same day after i took a pic of it in the water.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

oddjob

• woof woof

Would I use any different bait or spinner to catch jack coho ???? Would they be swimming among the adult cohos ? What I am asking is how do I catch jack coho ???

Dennis.t

• Old Timer

You know, that rock your Ho is rubbing against is negatively effecting its protective slime. 

You should try to be more carefull next time.
Dude-I will take Hue-nuts release over yours everytime.Buy some waders and learn how to fish man.

nickredway

• Old Timer

Would I use any different bait or spinner to catch jack coho ???? Would they be swimming among the adult cohos ? What I am asking is how do I catch jack coho ???
Just fish for Coho and you will get Jacks, they are generally more aggressive than the adults. Roe or hardware.

Sandman

• Old Timer

The bluebacks in the Cap love a small black wolly bugger with Grizzly hackle over the silver ribbing.
Not all those who wander are lost

bigblue

• Old Timer

As early season coho jacks are generally small, 10~12", for hardware, smaller spoons and spinners work better.
If a pool is full of cohos, jacks will tend to occupy least favourable positions due to their lower pecking order.
Sometimes they will sit in shallow tailouts and close to bank under bright sun light due to this reason.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Nice fish! sucks that you have to deal with all the haters..honestly if the people with all the opinions on how to release fish (very little impact on the fish compared to other factors) care so much about the well being of fish, then stop fishing! To say you need waders to learn how to fish..... lol.

DionJL

• Old Timer

Nice fish! sucks that you have to deal with all the haters..honestly if the people with all the opinions on how to release fish (very little impact on the fish compared to other factors) care so much about the well being of fish, then stop fishing! To say you need waders to learn how to fish..... lol.

It is ignorance like this that perpetuates the poor handling of fish.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

It is ignorance like this that perpetuates the poor handling of fish.

:'(   Sorry i'm not as pro as you in fishing, that must make you smart. is there a regulation regarding the proper method of handling fish ? I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it properly... but to say you need waders to learn to fish is pretty stupid. Also that glove you are wearing in your banner/avatar is removing slime off the fish
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:41:15 PM by Ed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

:'(   Sorry i'm not as pro as you in fishing, that must make you smart. is there a regulation regarding the proper method of handling fish ?

There is actually. halfway down in middle column of page 9 and second half of page 11 in the following document.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_provincial.pdf

but to say you need waders to learn to fish is pretty stupid.

You're misquoting what the poster originally wrote:

Buy some waders and learn how to fish man.

Buy some waders and learn how to fish, not buy some waders to learn how to fish.

You don't need waders to learn how to fish, but you certainly need waders to release big fish correctly under most situations.

There's no need to generalize all comments toward Damien in this thread as "haters". People are way too afraid of criticisms and are always brushing all of them off as bashing, even the constructive ones such as most of the replies in this thread. Without people pointing out the wrongs, the individual making the mistake will not learn. The day when nobody points out the wrongs is when everyone no longer cares, probably because it is too late to do anything to make a big difference. So please, no need to insult all posters by referring them as haters.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

haters.....in waders releasing fish :o

Poor old Damien buys some rubber net to let his fish off without taken the slime or scale off. But forgets to get some waders to fish some place he just found. Foolishly post pictures of the fish in question. Responds probably in less than tactfully to the gailstorm.

Make a good daytime soap ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?