Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, September 25th 2011: Ho's on the beach. A break from Pink fever  (Read 12243 times)

Damien

• Old Timer

I decided to take a break from the Pinks and the recent cold streak due to commercial netting.  I have done nothing but catch the odd pink after putting in HOURS of time and losing too many lures, so I did some investigating, driving around, looking for some new places to haunt in the lower mainland in search of Hos.  Brought my keen eye and trusty binoculars to find some signs of coho moving around the local estuaries and beaches.

I spotted a couple fins moving around a few more breach the water, so I decided to tie up and have at it, at a couple different spots. 

I managed to land and release two wild coho (well, at least they had their adipose in tact, fully).  I threw the kitchen sink at them as I knew they were there, but couldn't get them to bite. 

Finally an orange Blue Fox (#4) tricked them.  None of my usual coho friendly gear was working, but this is a fail safe for almost every species, any light, any water type and (most importantly for me) a lure I have confidence in.  They wouldn't touch blue, straight silver, brass etc....notta.

Hard work, a lot of driving, a lot of investigating and even more 'sighting' for fish.  Took me a good 6 hours to find these fish, but it feels very satisfying to escape the crowds and seek out new environs.

When I got the first one, I was all alone, so I had to beach it and get it back into the water quickly, hence the crappy pic.  On the second fish, a passerby saw I had one on and came down check out the commotion, I got him to to help me out with a picture, I handed him my BlackBerry to take a pic as I gently netted, removed the hook and sent him away.  No "hero" shot unfortunately as I didn't want the fish out of the water if I could reasonably avoid it.  Boy these Coho put pinks to shame in the fight category.  They go freakin BALLISTIC. 

BNF861

• Old Timer

Always feels rewarding when you find what you are looking for after putting in the effort.

You are right about the fight. A fresh coho usually puts up a great scrap, far from the fight of a pink.

Nice Ho's for sure but remeber to keep any fish to be released in the water and off the sand and rocks, especially wild coho.

Damien

• Old Timer

Next time I will tire the fish out until it is basically dead so I can tail it easy so it makes for a better picture and a better perceived release.  Like the wading flyfisherman who caught a fish beside me that fought it for 15 minutes as he couldn't make the hero tail grab by himself until he finally dragged the fish towards him belly up.

The first fish was just swung towards my feet, hook out, and it was swung and around and I slid back into the water.  It wasnt dragged up onto the rocks to flop around.

The second fish was netted (soft mesh),fish was tailed and hook removed then slid back in the water in under 5 seconds.  (that is froth from the water, not scales from the fish).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:17:18 PM by Damien »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

Nice catches!

You forgot to mention where you were fishing  :)

DionJL

• Old Timer

Next time I will tire the fish out until it is basically dead so I can tail it easy so it makes for a better picture and a better perceived release.  Like the wading flyfisherman who caught a fish beside me that fought it for 15 minutes as he couldn't make the hero tail grab by himself until he finally dragged the fish towards him belly up.

The first fish was just swung towards my feet, hook out, and it was swung and around and I slid back into the water.  It wasnt dragged up onto the rocks to flop around.

The second fish was netted (soft mesh),fish was tailed and hook removed then slid back in the water in under 5 seconds.  (that is froth from the water, not scales from the fish).

What did you expect from the pictures you posted? It isn't like you are a new member; you know the flack you are going to get. It's been stated multiple times that it is nearly impossible to correctly handle and release fish if you don't have waders on.

Damien

• Old Timer

Cutthroat, I did mention where I was.

On the beach.

:D

hue-nut

• Old Timer

your title says it all "ho's on the beach"!!!! they are ho's and they are on the beach. And you would have to tire the fish out till near dead to tail it because you are standing on the freaking shore in your shoes.....so yeah it would be kinda tough considering you would be tailing it.....on the beach!

Damien

• Old Timer

You know, that rock your Ho is rubbing against is negatively effecting its protective slime. 

You should try to be more carefull next time.

younggun

• Old Timer

You know you guys should really stop being so dramatic and just stop posting, because people don't really care about how great of an angler you are, or how many you personally caught, they just want to know your spot, and know that there are coho around this time of year. They have nothing better to do than cry about your photos, rather than go out and fish. I learned this the hard way, time and time again... Congrats, you caught a coho, nice wild fish.
Fish killer 101

bigblue

• Old Timer

your title says it all "ho's on the beach"!!!! they are ho's and they are on the beach. And you would have to tire the fish out till near dead to tail it because you are standing on the freaking shore in your shoes.....so yeah it would be kinda tough considering you would be tailing it.....on the beach!

Off thead, but what kind of line is that on your reel?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

your right youngun.....so many experts on here who have never ever made any mistakes ever while fishing are ready to criticize other peoples photos. just offer advise on fish handling instead of chopping the guys head off for posting pictures that you think is immoral to the fish. There are alot of young anglers on this forum who appreciate seeing  photos of fish caught. it boosts their moral and gets them out on the water to catch their own. Good job with locating and catching those coho on the beach. your pictures inspire other anglers to do the same. However in the future lets keep any fish which needs to be released clearly in the water....even for a photo. :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

The advise to keep the fish in the water was offered constructively, positively, and always followed compliments.  I think this is the right way to ensure people hear the ways things SHOULD be done.  Don't get your panties in a knot, Damien.  ;)

They're beauty fish.  I've made my share of mistakes in fish handling, but I've learned from it.  Hopefully you will too.   Congrats on getting out there and getting 'er done!

Dr. Backlash

Nice fish man - way to go!  Can't wait till we're allowed to keep them.

dmoney

The advise to keep the fish in the water was offered constructively, positively, and always followed compliments.  I think this is the right way to ensure people hear the ways things SHOULD be done.  Don't get your panties in a knot, Damien.  ;)

I agree Tex, good post.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard

You know you guys should really stop being so dramatic and just stop posting, because people don't really care about how great of an angler you are, or how many you personally caught, they just want to know your spot, and know that there are coho around this time of year. They have nothing better to do than cry about your photos, rather than go out and fish. I learned this the hard way, time and time again... Congrats, you caught a coho, nice wild fish.

Well put Dim

PEACE!
weeeeeeeeeow!