Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green Timbers Lake, September 30th 2011: Great rainbow trout fishing  (Read 2424 times)

frozensalmon

since the fresh water fishery stocked the rainbow in local lakes in lower mainland yesterday, I give it a go this morning

within 2 hours hooked 7~8 , kept 2, (limit is 2 in Green Timber lake in surrey)

using croc spoon, small size, maybe 1/8 oz or a bit bigger , not sure, digged out my tackle box and that's the only small size I got

rod is 10.6 feet baitcasting and abu reel, which was for my salmon fishing, i didn't have too much hope actually since apparently it's not a trout size rod

glad and surprised

anyway it's a great experience  :)

ps: --------------------------------
for more info about stocking lakes
(http://www.gofishbc.com/default.htm)

more coho, more coho... ::)

Sam6140

Re: Green Timbers Lake, September 30th 2011: Great rainbow trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

Cool...thanks.   Have they stocked Lafarge yet?   I checked their website, and there's no info for the fall stocking yet.

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »

they just stocked lafarge yesterday too     

Sam6140

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »

Thanks Frozensalmon!  How did you find out?  I never fished there before, and I live about 5 blocks away.. lol..... I'll be moving soon, so I should try and enjoy that lake while I can.   I'll go right now for an hour and give it a try.  C & R for me though.  

Preliator

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »

I hit Rolley the other day and had fish jumping around me the entire time. I spoke to a couple other anglers there and each person only managed one or two during their outings. The two that I caught were small cutties, not a single stocked rainbow. The closest looking fly I had in my box was the right colour, but shaped nothing of the sort. I couldn't figure why I wasn't slaying them, but I guess it comes in time. It was a nice afternoon at least!

Sam6140

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

Lafarge Lake was a bust for me too today.  There were some rising fish, but towards the middle of the lake - as usual.  I was only there for about half an hour though - had a small emergency phone call come in and had to leave.   A few people started fishing, but everyone left with no luck.  I personally DO NOT like that lake.  If you have to fish from shore it sucks.  I fished it years ago, before I lived in the same neighborhood, and never caught anything.  And something about catching farmed/hatchery raised trout, especially in a man made lake doesn't interest me.  It all feels somewhat artificial and kind of like cheating.

The two otters swimming around doing laps, was somewhat entertaining at least.  I'm pretty sure they scared off the fish as they swam by where I was fishing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:51:12 PM by Sam6140 »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »

Took the dog by there for about an hour got one on a small croc too. Silver with red stripe. Had a few hit the lure too. No pictures though, so as not to start something.

By the way, probably not making any friends leaving your fish on the bench. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam6140

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

LOL @ the bench comment.  I was typing pretty much the same thing, but ended up deleting it.  Yeah man, not cool to leave all that blood all over a bench/picnic table. 

island boy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »

is it just me or does the pic with the hook in it's mouth look odd to you. hooked through the out side of it's mouth. i've had alittle wacky tonight so it might just be me.
you kill it, you clean it.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:30:23 PM »

I saw that too and wondered if the old flossing trout out of another Surrey lake thing would start up again. So it's not just you.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

frozensalmon

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »

no I didn't floss the trout gees.........

it was just hooked like that           

people......

Animal Chin

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »

I was at Como from noon till about 4. No luck, saw a couple jump not too far from shore, but no bites. 500 fish in a pretty small lake, could be me. My rationale was that they were just released and maybe in a bit of shock or the water was too warm, but since you hooked into so many today at Green Timbers, my theory is shot.

Pretty new to this, but whenever I fish up at the alpine lakes (Joffre, Deek) seem to catch one with every cast. I just used 1/8 spinners though, maybe should pick up some spoons or something. Not a fan of float fishing. Nice to be out nonetheless.

purplehelmet

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »

Those hatchery Rainbows sure taste like crap, though.  I learned that when I kept a couple in the spring out of Lafarge--yuk--fun to catch, however! 
It's NOT good for the smoker!