Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, September 25th 2011: Ho's on the beach. A break from Pink fever  (Read 12244 times)

Ed

• I'm a llama!

I guess catching more fish makes you feel like a bigger person? or gives you the need to talk down to someone (on the net or in person)  that is trying their best with what they have? Last time I checked it was under 50 bucks to get a fishing license to go fish (not 200 dollars for waders and 100 for wading boots). Good for Damien in buying a fishing net!

Also i took a look at the "how to release fish the safe way" and it states that,

" A fish that appears unharmed
may not survive if carelessly handled,
so please abide by the following"

Clearly the reason why the government wants us to safely release fish is directly related to the survival of the fishes. But Damien made a good point....maybe some of the "pros" can clarify this too...that fighting a fish for an excessive amount of time also creates threats to the fish's survival? I'm sure a lot of the seasoned anglers that use methods of fishing such as flyfishing or centerpinning are out there for the fight, so should new anglers not attempt those methods just because they will probably end up tiring the fish out (due to lack of experience)? And to some of the posters with "negative" comments, i'm sure some of you work in tackle stores, if it wasn't for the people that are not as experienced but have the $$$ to spend, you would not have your jobs. Try give them the same attitude if they came in your store to share their pictures with you! I'm actually looking into buying a Milner Kingfisher and Talisman right now and honestly if someone gave me that type of attitude i'd probably take my business elsewhere!

Personally, i try my best to release the fish unharmed even if I have to walk a bit in the water in river systems such as the Thompson (very slippery). But to say that you must wear waders to properly release fish then most of the  fishermen on the Thompson would be fined since it isn't very safe to wade in there at all hence none of the fishes are being released properly. Then again to my understanding the "how to release fish" part is awareness for the public and not mandatory rules.

PS. not to sway away from this post too much.... GRATs again Damien on your catch!! Definitely motivates me to take a little more effort in searching for fish on the beaches. I've seen some people actually go fishing around W.van beaches near one of my construction sites by the waterfront, wonder if they are getting any luck  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:07:38 AM by Ed »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

I guess catching more fish makes you feel like a bigger person? or gives you the need to talk down to someone (on the net or in person)  that is trying their best with what they have? Last time I checked it was under 50 bucks to get a fishing license to go fish (not 200 dollars for waders and 100 for wading boots). Good for Damien in buying a fishing net!

Also i took a look at the "how to release fish the safe way" and it states that,

" A fish that appears unharmed
may not survive if carelessly handled,
so please abide by the following"

Clearly the reason why the government wants us to safely release fish is directly related to the survival of the fishes. But Damien made a good point....maybe some of the "pros" can clarify this too...that fighting a fish for an excessive amount of time also creates threats to the fish's survival? I'm sure a lot of the seasoned anglers that use methods of fishing such as flyfishing or centerpinning are out there for the fight, so should new anglers not attempt those methods just because they will probably end up tiring the fish out (due to lack of experience)? And to some of the posters with "negative" comments, i'm sure some of you work in tackle stores, if it wasn't for the people that are not as experienced but have the $$$ to spend, you would not have your jobs. Try give them the same attitude if they came in your store to share their pictures with you! I'm actually looking into buying a Milner Kingfisher and Talisman right now and honestly if someone gave me that type of attitude i'd probably take my business elsewhere!

Personally, i try my best to release the fish unharmed even if I have to walk a bit in the water in river systems such as the Thompson (very slippery). But to say that you must wear waders to properly release fish then most of the  fishermen on the Thompson would be fined since it isn't very safe to wade in there at all hence none of the fishes are being released properly. Then again to my understanding the "how to release fish" part is awareness for the public and not mandatory rules.

In the first pic the fish is lying on the beach above the water.  Why not IN the water...ie)tailing the fish IN the water.

Second pic is similar the net should be IN the water.

So, my point is, as a waderless fisherman myself, I see no reason to keep a fish on a beach like that for a pic.  It is unnecessary.

I didn't really see a lot of "talking down" in this thread other then your posts, Ed.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

I think Damien should release the GPS coordinates for this coho beach and everyone should have a group hug  :-*

Damien

• Old Timer

Ain't gonna happen.  I will narrow it down though.

These fish were caught somewhere between Mud Bay and Horseshoe Bay.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

In the first pic the fish is lying on the beach above the water.  Why not IN the water...ie)tailing the fish IN the water.

Second pic is similar the net should be IN the water.

So, my point is, as a waderless fisherman myself, I see no reason to keep a fish on a beach like that for a pic.  It is unnecessary.

I didn't really see a lot of "talking down" in this thread other then your posts, Ed.

Besides the rocks you see in the picture I dont think it shows too much of the surrounding environment, and besides its a beach there are waves... Honesty if I took the effort in finding such a nice spot and caught an amazing wild coho, I would probably want to keep a picture. Some people might not care for a photo (since you fish so much and catch plentiful), some dont have the same opportunities.

And clearly this is a fishing reports section and not a discussion page? Not sure why people couldn't just mind their own business and be happy for the nice catch.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Sorry i'm not as pro as you in fishing, that must make you smart.

I guess catching more fish makes you feel like a bigger person? or gives you the need to talk down to someone (on the net or in person)

maybe some of the "pros" can clarify this too...

Some people might not care for a photo (since you fish so much and catch plentiful), some dont have the same opportunities.

Hopefully you have not employed the same approach when engaging in a discussion with others away from the keyboard, in case you're wonder why others are not taking you too seriously. ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:46:34 PM by Rodney »

bigblue

• Old Timer

Besides the rocks you see in the picture I dont think it shows too much of the surrounding environment, and besides its a beach there are waves... Honesty if I took the effort in finding such a nice spot and caught an amazing wild coho, I would probably want to keep a picture. Some people might not care for a photo (since you fish so much and catch plentiful), some dont have the same opportunities.

And clearly this is a fishing reports section and not a discussion page? Not sure why people couldn't just mind their own business and be happy for the nice catch.

If you go back and read the thread carefully, most of the comments were constructive advice on how things might be improved for the welfare of the realeased wild coho. I think I know where that location is and barnacle covered rocks and gravel are not the most friendly place for any salmon to be released. Especially an angry wild salmon. I am happy for OPs nice catch and hope his release technique will also improve after this episode. :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Ed - what's so wrong with gently pointing out some suggestions on fish handling techniques after congratulating Damien on his catch?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Tex, just because you catch more fish and have a bigger rod, doesn't mean you can act this way and talk someone down ok?

Sorry... Couldn't help it. Going out now. :-[ ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Tex, just because you catch more fish and have a bigger rod, doesn't mean you can act this way and talk someone down ok?

LOL!

Good luck, Rod!  :)

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Hopefully you have not employed the same approach when engaging in a discussion with others away from the keyboard, in case you're wonder why others are not taking you too seriously. ;)

Outside the keyboard, people don't usually make a fuss about releasing fish or say, "GOOD job on the fish man! but learn how to release the fish properly!". Well sadly for some... fishing is the only thing some know how to do. I guess it is my fault for ruining it for the select few who enjoy giving other people "constructive advice". Since i'm just an unselfish guy, I will give some constructive advice to people that like to give "advice". "If you dont have anything good to say to the person, dont say it at all" because nobody cares!

LOL!

Good luck, Rod!  :)

I hope everybody does what you say Rod and not take me too seriously, the truth is sometimes sad and honestly I shouldn't be saying these things during a recession! SHAME ON ME! No point for me to continue to argue this since it seems that you two enjoy relating fishing with "big rods". Unless that's your nickname Big Rod.  :-\

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Since i'm just an unselfish guy, I will give some constructive advice to people that like to give "advice". "If you dont have anything good to say to the person, dont say it at all" because nobody cares!

Alright Ed, here's a scenario for you:

So you're out getting groceries.  You've picked up everything you need and are heading to the checkout, when you see some punk cut in front of an elderly lady in the line-up.  If I'm reading you correctly, you wouldn't say anything to the guy, because "you don't have anything good to say"?

And before you say it - no, I'm not taking this out of context, I'm demonstrating why society is so f&#^ed up right now... it's (in part) because people like you sit idly by and say nothing when something that SHOULDN'T be happening IS happening.

I'll tell you right now, when I see something going on that I perceive to be an injustice, or illegal, or what have you, I'm gonna damn well say something.  I'll almost always say it politely and as a suggestion, but I'll say it.  It's sad to me that there are so many people out there like you whoturn the other way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Holy moly, which school of sarcasm did you attend? Because I am really curious and interested in going there now... lol...

Big Rod, signing out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:57:09 PM by Rodney »

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Alright Ed, here's a scenario for you:

So you're out getting groceries.  You've picked up everything you need and are heading to the checkout, when you see some punk cut in front of an elderly lady in the line-up.  If I'm reading you correctly, you wouldn't say anything to the guy, because "you don't have anything good to say"?

And before you say it - no, I'm not taking this out of context, I'm demonstrating why society is so f&#^ed up right now... it's (in part) because people like you sit idly by and say nothing when something that SHOULDN'T be happening IS happening.

I'll tell you right now, when I see something going on that I perceive to be an injustice, or illegal, or what have you, I'm gonna damn well say something.  I'll almost always say it politely and as a suggestion, but I'll say it.  It's sad to me that there are so many people out there like you whoturn the other way.

I would totally say something based on your scenario and say something or maybe even tell him what he did was wrong ( even though i'm sure he knows already). But its a big difference comparing that to the situation in this thread.

My point is that there are many factors contributing negatively to the fishery and releasing fish is probably not one of the bigger ones. Personally i find it messed up that some people care so much about the well being of the fish when they are released but they fail to acknowledge that fighting the fish on fly tackle or centerpin for a prolonged duration of time is also harmful to the fish's survival. What is this argument really about? being anal and finding it necessary to make a negative comment towards someone or that they actually care about the well being of the fish ? No matter what sportfishing itself creates an impact on our fisheries, so why can't people keep their panties on and just relax since the fish was released?

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Holy moly, which school of sarcasm did you attend? Because I am really curious and interested in going there now... lol...

Big Rod, signing out.

You like that new nick name dont you!  ;D but you missed out.. Dick Cheney left Vancouver already.. (to answer the question regarding the school of sarcasm). *hides* Please dont beat me up Big Rod!