Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, September 25th 2011: Ho's on the beach. A break from Pink fever  (Read 13082 times)

Damien

• Old Timer

This thread turned awesome.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

:D

This thread has changed my future fishing experiences.

I say screw releasing fish in the water.  There are waves and the water is cold.

Going to buy a glove to release, I hate fish slime on my hands.

Will pick up a new pair of steel-toes so I can boot the chums back into the Stave.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

I would totally say something based on your scenario and say something or maybe even tell him what he did was wrong ( even though i'm sure he knows already). But its a big difference comparing that to the situation in this thread.

My point is that there are many factors contributing negatively to the fishery and releasing fish is probably not one of the bigger ones. Personally i find it messed up that some people care so much about the well being of the fish when they are released but they fail to acknowledge that fighting the fish on fly tackle or centerpin for a prolonged duration of time is also harmful to the fish's survival. What is this argument really about? being anal and finding it necessary to make a negative comment towards someone or that they actually care about the well being of the fish ? No matter what sportfishing itself creates an impact on our fisheries, so why can't people keep their panties on and just relax since the fish was released?

Fishing in general is detrimental to the fishes health, whether we wack it on the head or release it.  But for those fish that we plan on releasing, we try as much as we can to minimize the damage to the fishes health.  The fighting part of fishing is part of fishing, mishandling the fish after its been landed is NOT.  You can get a ticket from DFO for dragging a fish you plan or need to release out of the water.  I've yet to hear of or see anyone get a ticket for fighting a fish too long. 

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache

Fishing in general is detrimental to the fishes health, whether we wack it on the head or release it.  But for those fish that we plan on releasing, we try as much as we can to minimize the damage to the fishes health.  The fighting part of fishing is part of fishing, mishandling the fish after its been landed is NOT.  You can get a ticket from DFO for dragging a fish you plan or need to release out of the water.  I've yet to hear of or see anyone get a ticket for fighting a fish too long. 

x2 what he said
A swung fly is the best fly.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

:D

This thread has changed my future fishing experiences.

I say screw releasing fish in the water.  There are waves and the water is cold.

Going to buy a glove to release, I hate fish slime on my hands.

Will pick up a new pair of steel-toes so I can boot the chums back into the Stave.

If this was facebook i would click "like". Yeah... the fish are so slimey, next time i'll bring some soap so I can wash them real quick... clean some lice off.

Ed

• I'm a llama!

x2 what he said

I agree. people should have awareness of how to release fish. I'm just arguing that it isn't neccesary to post it so many times on someone's fishing report.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Please dont beat me up Big Rod!

Don't worry, looks like you've already beaten yourself up in this thread. You're not getting what this discussion is really about, which is to minimize, not eliminate, negative impact on our fishery resource when participating in recreational fishing. Other issues such as overplaying fish are also brought up regularly in this discussion forum. It has not been brought up in this discussion simply because, it has no relevance to it.

As mentioned earlier, aside from most posters' constructive criticisms (what are you scared of anyway, how else do you learn and progress), it seems like you're the only one who is getting a pair of knotty panties. Since you don't seem to get it, the rest of this post is more relevant to others who are interested in this issue.

Just like any other technical aspects in sport fishing, there is a learning curve to catching and releasing. Chancing are, beginners will not know what to do when starting out, so it's important that seasoned anglers are there to provide feedbacks when it is being done incorrectly.

This is not to suggest that Damien is not a seasoned angler. In fact, he most likely is, based on his contributions on the forum. That's why some are probably a bit surprised by the photos posted. Personally, that is not how I would have handled those fish. A pair of waders is indeed a great asset when beach fishing, not just for proper fish handling but for accessing better waters. I would have kept that catch and release net submerged while the fish was in it. I wouldn't have left the fish laying out of the water until it is still for a photo op.

This is not to say that I've never done my fair share of fish mishandling when they are released. I've left my first big bull trout on dry land so a photo could be taken before released. Last year I deep hooked a small bull trout with a spinner and couldn't get the hook out. While the fish was in the water the whole time, the waves made it especially difficult and the fish went belly up in the horizon after it was released. These things happen, and it's never a bad idea to review and decide if it could have been done differently.

These days, I always have a pair of waders on when I am fishing on a beach. When I am fishing in the tidal Fraser River during fall, a catch and release net is always with me. Why? Because I see fishing as a privilege and try not to take it for granted. If that makes me an elitist, so be it. At the end of the day, what makes me happy is knowing that I have done my best, not what others think of me.

Fish mishandling indeed occurs more frequently among beginners than seasoned anglers. Beginners, as another mentioned, of course want to get a photo of that special fish (first coho, biggest rainbow trout to date) if it is to be released. As an angler who progresses and catches more fish, the interest will shift from photo collection to the welfare of the released fish. It may just be another coho salmon, but it is an opportunity of thousands more offsprings if it spawns successfully. The least anglers can do is to minimize its chance of mortality prior to its spawning.

Does Damien agree and take others advices in this thread? Who cares? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he'll admit it, but most likely not, nobody likes to be told wrongful doings. Regardless, discussions like this will continue to pop up and are good for the fisheries as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Hundreds of others will read this and take note of the do's and don'ts. To say that we should all just keep quiet and pretend everything is fine in this activity, it is irresponsible IMO.

Stop stirring up the forum. :)

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Don't worry, looks like you've already beaten yourself up in this thread. You're not getting what this discussion is really about, which is to minimize, not eliminate, negative impact on our fishery resource when participating in recreational fishing. Other issues such as overplaying fish are also brought up regularly in this discussion forum. It has not been brought up in this discussion simply because, it has no relevance to it.

As mentioned earlier, aside from most posters' constructive criticisms (what are you scared of anyway, how else do you learn and progress), it seems like you're the only one who is getting a pair of knotty panties. Since you don't seem to get it, the rest of this post is more relevant to others who are interested in this issue.

Just like any other technical aspects in sport fishing, there is a learning curve to catching and releasing. Chancing are, beginners will not know what to do when starting out, so it's important that seasoned anglers are there to provide feedbacks when it is being done incorrectly.

This is not to suggest that Damien is not a seasoned angler. In fact, he most likely is, based on his contributions on the forum. That's why some are probably a bit surprised by the photos posted. Personally, that is not how I would have handled those fish. A pair of waders is indeed a great asset when beach fishing, not just for proper fish handling but for accessing better waters. I would have kept that catch and release net submerged while the fish was in it. I wouldn't have left the fish laying out of the water until it is still for a photo op.

This is not to say that I've never done my fair share of fish mishandling when they are released. I've left my first big bull trout on dry land so a photo could be taken before released. Last year I deep hooked a small bull trout with a spinner and couldn't get the hook out. While the fish was in the water the whole time, the waves made it especially difficult and the fish went belly up in the horizon after it was released. These things happen, and it's never a bad idea to review and decide if it could have been done differently.

These days, I always have a pair of waders on when I am fishing on a beach. When I am fishing in the tidal Fraser River during fall, a catch and release net is always with me. Why? Because I see fishing as a privilege and try not to take it for granted. If that makes me an elitist, so be it. At the end of the day, what makes me happy is knowing that I have done my best, not what others think of me.

Fish mishandling indeed occurs more frequently among beginners than seasoned anglers. Beginners, as another mentioned, of course want to get a photo of that special fish (first coho, biggest rainbow trout to date) if it is to be released. As an angler who progresses and catches more fish, the interest will shift from photo collection to the welfare of the released fish. It may just be another coho salmon, but it is an opportunity of thousands more offsprings if it spawns successfully. The least anglers can do is to minimize its chance of mortality prior to its spawning.

Does Damien agree and take others advices in this thread? Who cares? Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he'll admit it, but most likely not, nobody likes to be told wrongful doings. Regardless, discussions like this will continue to pop up and are good for the fisheries as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Hundreds of others will read this and take note of the do's and don'ts. To say that we should all just keep quiet and pretend everything is fine in this activity, it is irresponsible IMO.

Stop stirring up the forum. :)

Although i dont feel much for beating myself up... I do agree with what you posted so I have nothing to say  :P Fishing is serious business.. puts me on an emotional rollercoaster sometimes!!   ::)

poper

Go see a shrink!

Ed

• I'm a llama!

What a joke. Starting to understand why you have I'm a llama by your avatar. Theres no way for people to learn if they arent told the correct way to do something. I don't even understand why you are arguing in this situation... Not your fish, and you dont seem to care about proper fish handling skills. Gotta love how a little bit of advice with some compliments turns into this...

Actually i'm pretty sure Damien knows how to release a fish properly or else he wouldn't have bought a net. Dont need to get all offensive with the llama jokes.... isn't the proper way to release a fish to use a treble hook to fish, cut the leader, and punt it like a football? Gotta love some of the posters on this forum...quite ignorant outside the fishing world. Oh wait you work for a float company..explains a lot...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:03:03 PM by Ed »

Ed

• I'm a llama!

Go see a shrink!

Can you pay for it ??

Hook Set

I would totally say something based on your scenario and say something or maybe even tell him what he did was wrong ( even though i'm sure he knows already). But its a big difference comparing that to the situation in this thread.

My point is that there are many factors contributing negatively to the fishery and releasing fish is probably not one of the bigger ones. Personally i find it messed up that some people care so much about the well being of the fish when they are released but they fail to acknowledge that fighting the fish on fly tackle or centerpin for a prolonged duration of time is also harmful to the fish's survival. What is this argument really about? being anal and finding it necessary to make a negative comment towards someone or that they actually care about the well being of the fish ? No matter what sportfishing itself creates an impact on our fisheries, so why can't people keep their panties on and just relax since the fish was released?

So the smaller problems should just be ignored? Proper handling of fish is one situation that we as sport fishers can actually control. If we dont care about the fish we catch then how can we even start to think about solving the bigger ones. I wouldnt be calling others ignorant based on your posts

Ed

• I'm a llama!

So the smaller problems should just be ignored? Proper handling of fish is one situation that we as sport fishers can actually control. If we dont care about the fish we catch then how can we even start to think about solving the bigger ones. I wouldnt be calling others ignorant based on your posts

No, i didn't say the smaller problems should be ignored. I just said people should relax because it is unnecessary to post it on fishing report thread. If you really care go make a thread on releasing fish and discuss there.

iblly

• Old Timer

:'(   Sorry i'm not as pro as you in fishing, that must make you smart. is there a regulation regarding the proper method of handling fish ? I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it properly... but to say you need waders to learn to fish is pretty stupid. Also that glove you are wearing in your banner/avatar is removing slime off the fish

What, no reply to the glove in the banner/avatar after the remark about ignorance ! I can only hope that some of you apply the same level of ethics to the rest of your life as you do to fishing. Just roll with it Ed, it's all you can do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:39:58 PM by iblly »

nickredway

• Old Timer

Yawn.........................