Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 53355 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2010's spring is approaching and rainbow trout fishing in lakes across the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley will begin shortly. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, will be starting their rainbow trout stocking in late March. Stockings will take place between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

We will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page. You can also find archived reports of catchable rainbow trout stockings across BC in this section of the website.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes, unless stated otherwise in lake-specific regulations.
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Stockings have not started. It will likely start towards the end of next week. The plan will most likely be formulated early next week and will be posted if it is available.

vancook

• Old Timer

thanks for the info as always
I saw some fish swimming in Rice lake this morning...but they didn't have any interest in what I was presenting them. Very cold out still

kid fisherman

Thanks, now to plan a weekend of fun!!!

ssd0904

Is it stocked? I thought stocking started in 03-16 why are you saying that it hasn't started yet? It says it started at 16th already..  ??? (On the website)

ssd0904

March 11th, 2010  Green Timbers 100 2,000.0 6.0
March 11th, 2010 Mill 100 2,000.0 8.0

Doesnt this mean it is stocked? And 2000g, i didnt know that i should have gone there already :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Those are broodstocks. Catchable rainbow trout stockings have not begun.

jimmywits

Those are broodstocks. Catchable rainbow trout stockings have not begun.
Thanks for the info rodney

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

Anyone know why Fawn Lake in Alice Lake Park is not being stocked? 

It is smaller but a very pretty little lake (pond) and used to have some great days there with poppers.  The little fish use to hammer them.

jimmywits

Anyone know why Fawn Lake in Alice Lake Park is not being stocked? 

It is smaller but a very pretty little lake (pond) and used to have some great days there with poppers.  The little fish use to hammer them.
Because the over crowded urban meat fishery get's all the allocation, and I agree with you Fawn lake is a beautiful place to spend the day fly-fishing.

dan-o

Re: 2010 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

If They send some fish my way to Squamish I promise I will take good care of them.  I don't even need any help ;)

azafai

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

what about Deer Lake in Burnaby
why it is not getting the attention it deserves and needs??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:18:47 PM by azafai »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »

what about Deer Lake in Burnaby
why it is not getting the attention it deserves and needs??

Deer Lake is stocked a couple of times per year. It receives less fish than other lakes because the water quality simply isn't ideal. That being said, there are potentials and FFSBC has designated it as one of the "Fishing in the City" lakes this year. Look for future projects to make this a better urban fishery.

I'll ask about Fawn Lake.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 11:24:05 PM »

Thank you.

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »

Deer Lake is stocked a couple of times per year. It receives less fish than other lakes because the water quality simply isn't ideal. That being said, there are potentials and FFSBC has designated it as one of the "Fishing in the City" lakes this year. Look for future projects to make this a better urban fishery.

That's great news Rod, and I know you provided the impetus to get that going(Deer Lake). I have had great day's on both those lakes, and I see Deer lake as a huge urban fishery asset for reasons I have previously laid out. My guess as to Fawn Lakes situation is that they feel by stocking the other three bigger lakes in that park, with easier access, that should suffice. How much more is it going to tax the system to stock a few more in fawn lake, especially when/while they are up at Edith anyway?