Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin vs Levelwind vs Baitcasting vs Spinning vs etc  (Read 16036 times)

minsyoo

Centerpin vs Levelwind vs Baitcasting vs Spinning vs etc
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

I'm basically trying to learn the differences among them and what each of them is mostly used for. I understand this question is basic, and the answers can be pretty long, so if someone could just point me in the right direction for teaching myself, I'd appreciate it!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin vs Levelwind vs Baitcasting vs Spinning vs etc
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »

this one is easy, cp  :D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »

I agree with Fishforever. But I prefer centerpin. ;D :P

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

I have recently bought a centerpin and found it very nice to fish with.

Casting is a bit of trick (I had to start the cast well behind me) but it's simplicity was great.
I seemed to have to pay a lot less attention to it once it was cast - hard to explain but it was more peaceful to fish with?

Spinning reels are useless for salmon - you need to be able to let line out at a controlled rate.
You do this with your thumb on a levelwind and your fingers with a cp.

I tried using a large spinning reel for salmon when I first started but lost a very nice fish when the bail didn't close properly.

I will still fish with levelwinds (baitcasters & levelwinds are basically the same thing) because I can cast further than with a cp.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

Spinning reels are not useless for salmon.they are however not ideal for drift fishing.
minsyoo maybe your best bet is to talk to  tackle shops, then you can see each style in person, and get an idea of what they are most suited for.
Its more than what each style can do its what the prey is, the kind of water fished, kind of terminal tackle, from shore or boat, users ability budget etc.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

levelwind/baitcaster is the most versatile.... i can toss spoons and spinners and then float fish easily and casting and retrieving is fast

centerpin is still my preference though.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

hookme

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

I just bought a CP last week at reaction second hand.  it's kinda hard at first cause I'm fishing during dawn and the bite are just starting so I switch with my Baitcaster and start practicing with the CP late afternoon very sensitive,  but I  still have to practice on my cast specially the long one ..no regret buying one it's an Okuma aVenda and a fenwick Rod Supersensitive.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

Level-wind works well.  Spinning reels seem to always fall apart within a couple months- I'd suggest you don't waste your time as they aren't well suited to drift/ float fishing.  Centerpin would be nice if I could afford it.

The 5600C3 a pretty good all-round reel for around the Lower Mainland.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:18:45 PM by Matt »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »

Levelwind and baitcaster is the same thing.  As stated they are good for float fishing and can cast lures although it is difficult to cast light weighted lures.  Smaller sized baitcasters cast light lure better.  Baitcasters take some time to learn how to cast correctly without tangling the line a.k.a getting a birds nest.  Spinning reels are cast light lures well (also depends on the rod used) but are not ideal for float fishing bait etc.  Apparently they are good for float fishing jigs though. Centrepins are simple in design and require the angler to thumb the spool to create drag when fighting a fish.  Apparently they pay out line more fluidly and therefore are ideal for float fishing.  Baitcasters are the most versatile of the bunch.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »

baitcaster or centerpin
leave the spinning reels for stillwater fishing

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »

Don't be afraid to use a spinning reel in freshwater. I just gave a Shimano Symetre 4000 to a young angler that has landed lots of coho, pinks, chum and the odd steelhead. I mainly use a spinning reel for spoons, spinners and short floating colorados. Have just upgraded to a Shimano Sustain FE4000 and have landed a few pinks and a couple of coho with it. A levelwind is the best bet for an all around reel. Just remember that as the quality of the reels goes the price does also.

Agreed on the spinning reel. I primarily use a spinning reel for all my low water fishing....including short floating. However, I feel that I am more of an exception than the rule when it comes to this. In fact, I know a certain symetre 4000 that has in the last 2 months caught several steelhead, a red spring and more coho over 15lbs than most people will see in 10 years on the Vedder.

That said, if I could only own one reel for salmon/steelhead fishing in the lowermainland it would be a mid sized levelwind such a calcutta 200.
Actions speak louder than words.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

a good smooth centerpin will never be outmatched. u can float fish, spinner fish, spoon fish. u can cast spoons on a pin! fish spinners under a float, and then everything else can be run down the river under a float.
Fish killer 101

bluesteele

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »

a good smooth centerpin will never be outmatched. u can float fish, spinner fish, spoon fish. u can cast spoons on a pin! fish spinners under a float, and then everything else can be run down the river under a float.

I'd have to agree with ya 100% YG. Overall it's the most useful reel for me.
Just my 2 cents.

Bluesteele

minsyoo

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »

sigh.... I did it.  ;)

I just purchased a Okuma Aventa VT-1002.

Any of you guys know/hear anything about this reel? What are the thoughts?

Are there any specific ways to take care of it?

And.. I need to learn how to cast it. haha! ..this is gonna be interesting.

I got a 10# PLine on it... guy at the shop said this is a strong line and would do fine with 20# fishes...

floatfishin

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

I've bee on a Center Pin for over 10 yrs now, I've used all oter reels, though being from Ont, the rivers are smaller, but the CP is the best way o drift naturally and control not only your drift, but your fish aswel.

I just joined the board, can anyone tell me how to start a new topic? New to BC and would love to head out this weekend, but can't find a "New topic" Button to start a thread???