Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin vs Levelwind vs Baitcasting vs Spinning vs etc  (Read 15940 times)

minsyoo

Re: Centerpin vs Levelwind vs Baitcasting vs Spinning vs etc
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »

I've bee on a Center Pin for over 10 yrs now, I've used all oter reels, though being from Ont, the rivers are smaller, but the CP is the best way o drift naturally and control not only your drift, but your fish aswel.

I just joined the board, can anyone tell me how to start a new topic? New to BC and would love to head out this weekend, but can't find a "New topic" Button to start a thread???

the new topic button is visible when you're on the "general discussion" page where you can see all the topics. on the right, top side of the screen.

So if you're reading this, on the left hand side towards the top, you should be able to see "general discussion" with a little folder icon next to it. click on it, and then you'll see the new topic button on right top.

Welcome to BC and welcome to the forum!

minsyoo

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »

AH! that's what I tried to tell the guy! he had me going for 8lb at first, and i was like "no way" but the guy insisted i wouldnt need more than a 10#...

argh, if i take my reel to a tackle shop, they should be able to save my line somehow and get me on a heavier line, right?

minsyoo

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

oh, this is down in seattle, outdoor emporium. a huge shop in sodo.

they have TONS of products and you could probably find ANYTHING fishing/hunting/camping/hiking related... but clearly not the greatest place for advice...

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »

I put a couple of hundred feet of braid as backing and a couple of hundred yards of 20lb mono on my CP.

I expect to use it mostly for large chinook and chum salmon, hence the 20lb.

minsyoo

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

I put a couple of hundred feet of braid as backing and a couple of hundred yards of 20lb mono on my CP.

I expect to use it mostly for large chinook and chum salmon, hence the 20lb.

I heard about the whole "backing" deal... is this necessary to do? on the box that my cp came in, it does have instructions on that, but i'm wondering if it's a must?

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »

I heard about the whole "backing" deal... is this necessary to do? on the box that my cp came in, it does have instructions on that, but i'm wondering if it's a must?

do it, it's cheaper than filling it all up with regular line anyways

minsyoo

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »

i'll take the advice and do it.

what is the purpopse for it though?

minsyoo

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »

im back in canada now and took my cp reel to berry's to possibly get new line. i was once again told i'd be just fine with the 10lb i have.
i'm going to be fishing vedder with roe tomorrow and sunday, i don't know what to do!

minsyoo

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »

actually, i plan on going tomorrow afternoon (to vedder) and i hear springs are more likely to bite than cohos. may be this will make it easier for me and i can get heavier line? how heavy?

obie1fish

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »

I like the Okuma you have. A lot of the newer reels have, I hate to say, better tolerances than those of yesteryear, and they're as easy to care for as them, too. I use 12 - 15lb, some of my buddies use nothing but 20, and I know of a couple of folk who use 6 to 8 lb, but the fish might be difficult to bring to hand, and busting off all larger fish isn't too cool or worth the bragging. We all catch fish.

Give it a shot and see how you like it. Each has its advantages.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »

I believe the is to prevent warping the spool.  The elasticity of mono spooled under high strain on the spool can warp it- especially on tall narrow spools where the lip is far from the hub.  Backing has just about no stretch, so it can't put any pressure on the spool and this prevents it from warping.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Not sure what shop would spool a centerpin with 10lb line?
What are you going to use for leaders?

I have used all 3 types of reels and now basically only use a spinning reel when tossing spoons or spinners and a Calcutta 250 for everything else.
I have been down the pin road and i find at the end of the day the levelwind gets me more casts and my hook in the water longer.
The levelwind also seams to be easier on me after a long day on the water.
Having said that i have a light cp set-up that im looking forward to using this winter for some small system steelhead.

Any reel can do any job(within its limits) with enough practice and patience.
Just watch that fellow at the Vedder that uses an H shaped piece of wood to hold his line on if you dont believe me. ;)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »

I've heard of that guy who uses the handline actually, from someone somewhere a long time ago.