Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67366 times)

coastangler

A glorious morning with the Glory Spoon lol. Found another pod of finicky coho in a piece of undisturbed but skinny water, and managed to snatch a pair of hatchery fish.

Very nice looking fish rod! Thanks for sharing. Do you think the lower water actually gives you an edge spin casting or even fly fishing? Usually I wait to hit the Vedder using Spin/Fly fishing (I consider the kind of waters you should look for very similar for both styles) until late season mostly because is less busy, but you gave me the motivation to try a bit earlier!
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Where I fished today, I'd say I would have done way better if I was float fishing with bait or bead, or fly fishing. It was just quite shallow and the only strike zone was this slot so the lure was only hitting the spot for a couple of seconds each time. Both fish hit the lure on the drop or on the first crank of the reel, the rest of the retrieve was just in shallow water which was kind of pointless.

psd1179

• Old Timer

The Albion test net report shows a slow down trend. May due to the weather, or the expected increasing number of chinook return did not happen.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Are folks going upper vedder much. In my mind it does not seem like a good play on account of the lack of rain. Anyone think it's worthwhile. I just love that part of the river.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:39:54 AM by dennisK »

canucksfan233

Are folks going upper vedder much. In my mind it does not seem like a good play on account of the lack of rain. Anyone think it's worthwhile. I just love that part of the river.  Thoughts?

Rod said there was fish at the hatchery already so theres definitely fish.

Darko

• Old Timer

is you can find pools they are holding then sure, though seemingly more rare
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

There isn't just fish at the hatchery... There's a lot of fish at the hatchery lol...

The Albion test net report shows a slow down trend. May due to the weather, or the expected increasing number of chinook return did not happen.

You don't think we've had enough chinook salmon in the river lol...?

Two more coho tonight, but both never made it to shore. The same run produced fish for me about a week ago, but was unproductive in the past few days until today. Fish are on the move every night, that's giving us surprises everyday when we get out there.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

A glorious morning with the Glory Spoon lol. Found another pod of finicky coho in a piece of undisturbed but skinny water, and managed to snatch a pair of hatchery fish.

A lot of time left for coho. Right now springs are kings.

It ain't the roe bro'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I honestly suck at catching springs. ;D I got one this season, and now I'm all distracted by coho so not paying any attention to the big ivory kings anymore...

I wouldn't mind get another one though, because a couple of weeks ago I made fish and chips with the one I caught and it was amazing!

ButtLoadOfDucks

Hey Rod,

New to fishing shallow runs here (I'm not a steelheader... yet). How do you know what's a fishy shallow run vs a barren one? Just looking for jumping fish? Reading water is much easier when there's features around (deeper pools, obvious seams, rapids etc) but lost when it comes to reading a shallow stretch of water.

Thanks!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Just wondering if the fishing boundary signs at the mouth of the Vedder are there for decoration or is there a purpose.  Couple of days in a row now I seen boats anchored well below the boundary signs.  Ignorant, stupid or entitled.  One boat had decals plastered all over it " Sturgeon Slayers"  If its too busy above the boundary signs I guess the entiltled people think its ok to fish below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=780776456302122&set=a.649559122757190

Darko

• Old Timer
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer

Man, it’s a brave new world when professional guides brag about getting a fisheries violation ticket.

vancook

• Old Timer

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=780776456302122&set=a.649559122757190

What a moron. There is unfortunately more and more people out there with this kind of mentality.

sumasriver

Man, it’s a brave new world when professional guides brag about getting a fisheries violation ticket.

wow poaching is now something to brag about........  should have seized boat and gear

Guide should have just cruised up to the lower Canal and snagged and dragged the low water with everyone else....