Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: 2022 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 67371 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Reading in the local paper Chilliwack is experiencing the driest September in history since record keeping started in 1879. The previous record was in 1951. That’s how bad the drought is. The salmon don’t stand a chance from the hordes of anglers pounding them in this low water.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 09:07:48 PM by Wiseguy »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Reading in the local paper Chilliwack is experiencing the driest September in history since 1879. That’s how bad the drought is. The salmon don’t stand a chance from the hordes of anglers pounding them in this low water.

global warming; but what was their reason in 1879 to be so low. Industrially speaking we've been far more intense in the 20th century the the 19th.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

it's more about the cumulative 'records' being set not just one. We have had a number of hottest summers with successive record wildfire seasons over the last several years. I personally can't remember summers with the sort of smoke we have experienced in BC since 2015. November's rain and the successive "atmospheric rivers" we saw have few precedents. This spring was the coldest in 77 years mostly because of the prevalent overcast and rain we experienced. Climatologists have warned climate change does not just mean a warmer climate but means a climate of greater extremes than the world has seen since recorded history.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

Some chum salmon in the vedder river.....not one off instance, went to two different spot and both had chum there.... Interesting to see how one species change their cycle a bit...could be Global warming ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It's not unusual to see chum salmon in this system in late September really, we always have found them. It seems that you get that little early push, then there is a pause, and another bigger push in October, and finally a good push in November.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

global warming; but what was their reason in 1879 to be so low. Industrially speaking we've been far more intense in the 20th century the the 19th.
I edited my post. I didn’t word it properly.

Phronesis

It's not unusual to see chum salmon in this system in late September really, we always have found them. It seems that you get that little early push, then there is a pause, and another bigger push in October, and finally a good push in November.
Oh ! Good to know ! Thanks

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

anyone getting any 20+ pound chinook, seen a lot on social media in the 10-15 pound range but nothing over 20.

Phronesis

anyone getting any 20+ pound chinook, seen a lot on social media in the 10-15 pound range but nothing over 20.

I saw a guy pull a huge chinook just yesterday, easily 20+

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

I saw a guy pull a huge chinook just yesterday, easily 20+

right on there's been some bigs ones out front in the salt this year more 30+ pound ones than usual, even a couple over 40 this year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

As of Friday, there are about 2,000 fish in the channel at the Chilliwack River Hatchery, about 50/50 chinook and coho. Very likely many more came in over the weekend.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

As of Friday, there are about 2,000 fish in the channel at the Chilliwack River Hatchery, about 50/50 chinook and coho. Very likely many more came in over the weekend.

thanks for the update rod, is the plan still to take 2million chinook eggs?

roeman

Just wondering if the fishing boundary signs at the mouth of the Vedder are there for decoration or is there a purpose.  Couple of days in a row now I seen boats anchored well below the boundary signs.  Ignorant, stupid or entitled.  One boat had decals plastered all over it " Sturgeon Slayers"  If its too busy above the boundary signs I guess the entiltled people think its ok to fish below. 
Are you fishin or catchin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Just wondering if the fishing boundary signs at the mouth of the Vedder are there for decoration or is there a purpose.  Couple of days in a row now I seen boats anchored well below the boundary signs.  Ignorant, stupid or entitled.  One boat had decals plastered all over it " Sturgeon Slayers"  If its too busy above the boundary signs I guess the entiltled people think its ok to fish below.

This horse has been beaten to death on this website, if you think its a problem report to DFO, include pictures

Phronesis

right on there's been some bigs ones out front in the salt this year more 30+ pound ones than usual, even a couple over 40 this year.

Wow, never seen 40+ lbs chinook.....well i just started 2-3 yrs ago so very limited experience
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24