Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pipeline Bar - private property  (Read 29334 times)

glog

Re: Pipeline Bar - private property
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »

No sorry Don't remember the guys name it was a few years back maybe 5 years. We had a long friendly talk. Used to love taking light gear and fishing for pinks at the far south end away from the crowds.

As for the netting, we watched dozens of nettings in sockeye season starting just below, Funny just before the helicopter or patrol boat appears the drift netters disappear and re-emerge after they are gone. They stay when they are allowed to net. Have no problem with the set nets its the drift nets that create the fish shortage.

Start at the very south end and drift all the way down the entire river.  Only thing they tend to miss is the pinks as they run so close to shore.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 06:55:41 PM »

OK just so you all know Its my daughter and son inlaw ;) They have had to deal with the worst kind of behavior that no one should have to deal with !! Look im sure a lot of you do pack out your garbage but truth be told the %  of you that do is crazy low, it's one of the reasons I stopped partaking in the harvest ! So if people keep insisting in cutting down the fence or blazing a new trail the police and CN will be called.

glog

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »

That's okay maybe it was you I talked with that day. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

As by making a parking lot with access would allow for easier cleanup and installation of a couple of bins charge a camping rates and/or a daily rate to stay. Especially when the guys come down and do the cleanup at the ne dof the season.

But getting to old to walk far anyway time to get a boat a lot easier.

cheers

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »

I talked to her and tried but it is a no go for access this year !

Kenwee

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

Thank you Rantalot, Lots of us will gladly pay for the privilege to access the bar. Sorry so many people have behaved badly to the owners. Because of a few bad apples, the whole barrel is spoilt.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »

I know but who knows maybe things will change but as it is we as fisherman cannot continue to abuse our resources and expect things to stay the same.

glog

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »

Okay its unfortunate.

On the bright side,  If one was to walk down from the east end, I guess one will not have to fight the crowds anymore and could also bar fish from the bar.  So maybe its good news for the fish and the fisherman that put in the effort.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »

I know but who knows maybe things will change but as it is we as fisherman cannot continue to abuse our resources and expect things to stay the same.
How I wish it would but until some severe fines are levied all users will continue to do the same.

As most know the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society had our 39th cleanup nearly 3 weeks on the Chilliwack Vedder River and our 150 volunteers did a great job taking nearly 1.5 metric tonnes off the riparian zone of the watershed. However many areas are again showing too much garbage being left behind by many users and dumpers. 2 more areas on the Vedder will be gated in the near future by the City of Chilliwack because of complains of residents.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

This is what we did a few years ago to deal with a similar situation on the Fraser River.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25392.msg239720#msg239720

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:26:40 PM by chris gadsden »

Solruua

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »

I just signed up with this site so here is what we posted on another site.

we are truly tired of the garbage, the excrament on the trail, and on one occasion a fisherman parked in front of our gate blocking access to our driveway. It was very frustrating having to walk down to the river repeatedly asking who's truck it was just so I could get into my driveway. One other issue is the train if people would have the common sense to stand way clear of the tracks till the train passes it wouldn't sound it's horn at 5 am. We posted this to make u aware of our concerns and why we gated and closed the trail.
We on several occasion last year came down to the river voiced our concerns and made it clear if something wasn't done we would close the trail. Some of you. Not all of you ignored or failed to pass this message along.

We would also like to say our property is not the only one affected. There are other members that own land on the trail and they are just as unpleased as we are with the mess.

We appreciate the ones that show compassion and understanding in this matter and we are brainstorming amungst ourselves to find a solution to try keep everybody happy.
This isn't a financially motivated play as we both work very hard and have no need to take a fee to cross.

Here are some ideas that we have come up with:

Dig and build proper outhouses, place garbage barrels for fishing line only i will empty these as we do have access with our truck this means if line is seen please pick it up even if its not yours. food waste and emptys would still have to be packed out as the bears will upset any litter barrel containing food. Please don't suggest conservation dealing with bears as we believe they are welcome to this area before anyone else.
When parking do not park in any driveway or road access I matter how little it looks used.
We are not giving permission to cross its private railway property but When crossing the tracks stand back at the road or in the trail so there is no reason for the train to sound it's horn in the early morn.
We are not giving permission at this time but these are some ideas we have.
As well we ask u do not venture right where the trail turns left as it is a sacred area. If this area is occupied by persons other than Band members it be delt with immediately and closed indefeanetly.

These are ideas and can be built upon. But as well doesn't guarentee this will be opened so untill there is a satisfactory solution this will remain inaccessible.

We have talked to many of you and everyone claims to take home their garbage but obviously it's not enough so maybe if everyone picks up the garbage they see it will solve a majority of the issues.

Hopfully we can come to an agreeable solution and the private property no trespassing signs will read private property please respect it. Thanks

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »

That is very nice for the owner to come out and interact with the fishermen here. It shows they are concerned about their own privacy and our intrusion on their rights to enjoy their property and yet they try to cater to our need to fish. I salute the owner for this.  :)

I for one had fished the lower Pipeline for years and always packed things out when I saw them. I wear a vest which has the pouch to carry the fish so I don't have to carry them in a garbage bag with my hand . This gives me an extra hand to carry a bag for carrying out garbage, mostly lines and drink bottles/cans. We need to show our stewardship of the place we have been given permission by the gracious and long-suffering owners to cross their property and to enjoy our fishing. We should police among ourselves to remind others when we see them leaving without cleaning out their garbage. I think if a sign is posted over the entrance to the trail or in the bar, it will help to remind fishermen of their duty to keep the place clean.

I believe most of the long-time users of the bar are good guys. I know of a Chinese friend who has been camping out near Hope every year to fish the place with his whole family and his kids grew up fishing there. It is like their annual ritual. They always packed things out as a family. I hope there is a solution so that good guys like them are not penalized by the irresponsible ones. Perhaps all of us should collectively check to make sure the bar is cleaned up each time we fish it and remind every one consistently about the need to do this in order to be given permission to fish there. Another way is to have a clean-up project every week particularly during August, the busiest month there (like a river clean up). If these clean up dates are posted there, people will have a target date to work with.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:20:12 PM by liketofish »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »

Hey kid if you read this I think Liketofish just hit the nail on the head  ;D Perhaps a workable idea??

trot

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

Hows about just allow access to bar fisherman?  ;) Much different crowd, plus there are a heck of a lot of guys that simply cannot fish ethically anymore due to all these pigs taking over. We could use a "safe zone"

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »

I wish rodney would put a "like" button on here :-)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »

Hows about just allow access to bar fisherman?  ;) Much different crowd, plus there are a heck of a lot of guys that simply cannot fish ethically anymore due to all these pigs taking over. We could use a "safe zone"

Why not just fly fishermen?   ;)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[