Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Cleanup Results, October 16, 2010  (Read 3389 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fraser River Cleanup Results, October 16, 2010
« on: October 16, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »

A bit disappointing on the number of people that showed up with no more than 45.

Thanks to  those that did help out especially to Bill from this forum that brought his dump truck that we filled. Lots of line too. A more detailed report later but here is some video as George and I are off to a meeting with Alexandra Morton in Vancouver now, re the Paddle for Wild salmon and then we are off to the Lions football game, a good way to end a busy day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb-UTTPuqsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1gx9HuvLEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UntCYrWJbWE

Just got a call from Frank we got 680 KG plus the line that would be a few miles long.

Here is another clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtWe-Vf5T4c
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:34:48 PM by chris gadsden »

strobes

Re: Fraser River Cleanup Results, October 16, 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

I'm glad my parents and I were able to get out and help. It was nice to meet you Chris. I couldn't believe the amount of line that was left behind.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »

I didn't make it out there today { morning commitments} , but I did fill my pickup with a load of garbage from the south arm {triangle rd area}this afternoon, got back from the landfill around 3 pm. What pigs !! Here are some of the things I found and hauled away

kitchen table with 3 chairs
 bbq and 4 empty propane tanks
 door from a refrigerator
 tarpaulin {which I used to tarp the load ;D}
 numerous bottles and cans
 plastic bags galore, fishing line, tackle containers etc
 couple basic home garbage bags full of stuff. {rotten food etc.}
 other assorted crap

What gets me is that the people dumping this stuff have to go right by the Richmond Landfill to get there ??? Now I know how this fishing spot got its name {Dump Bar} >:( >:( Any way, I watched the videos from Chris's post. Awesome job out there guys,

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:33:49 PM »

Yeah Bently that's why its called dump bar, not because it's beside a dump but because people use it as a dump. Been there numerous times barfin' and people come sneakingly through to dump their crap, been into a few shouting matches

Nice work Chris and crew,  sorry i was unable to make it out to lend a hand, one can only wonder how much more crap is still out there

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »

I'm glad my parents and I were able to get out and help. It was nice to meet you Chris. I couldn't believe the amount of line that was left behind.
Thanks very much for driving such a distance to come to the cleanup and to give up part of your Saturday at the same time. It was good to meet you and your parents, please thank them very much again for taking part too. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

I didn't make it out there today { morning commitments} , but I did fill my pickup with a load of garbage from the south arm {triangle rd area}this afternoon, got back from the landfill around 3 pm. What pigs !! Here are some of the things I found and hauled away

kitchen table with 3 chairs
 bbq and 4 empty propane tanks
 door from a refrigerator
 tarpaulin {which I used to tarp the load ;D}
 numerous bottles and cans
 plastic bags galore, fishing line, tackle containers etc
 couple basic home garbage bags full of stuff. {rotten food etc.}
 other assorted crap

What gets me is that the people dumping this stuff have to go right by the Richmond Landfill to get there ??? Now I know how this fishing spot got its name {Dump Bar} >:( >:( Any way, I watched the videos from Chris's post. Awesome job out there guys,
Thanks fine, it was great you cleaned up at another part of the Fraser River. I am sure others that could not make the cleanup did so, nearer to their homes.

Maybe if they did not they will do a small cleanup in the next few days. Every bit of line and garbage off our rivers and elsewhere does help.

I went out this morning to make sure all the bags had been picked up in the areas that were covered yesterday and worked an area that we did not have enough volunteers to sent to it. I got most likely 100 to 150 pounds in 20 minutes. It was on the straight stretch of road to Peg where many people parked during the sockeye season so I know it was dropped by people going after sockeye not others. I did not finish it all but will try to get to it tomorrow. Found 40 cents of tins as my pay.;D ;D