Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halibut Wars  (Read 31033 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Halibut Wars
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

HiYa Folks,

The battle over access to this once common property resource has now commenced in earnest. Should the situation continue the way it is, recreational halibut fishing will most likely be cut off for all by some time in July. Not at all due to "conservation concerns" as this resource is doing better than most. Nope, the reason for the closure is completely due to the Dino having GIFTED 88% of the annual Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to 436 commercail operators. Many of which do not even bother to set foot on a boat, far preferring to lease their "Gift" at exorbitant rates to those who actually fish.

There are a series of town-hall style meeting being scheduled up and down the coast. Newspaper and magazine articles are out, and there are more to follow.

What the Government has done in the case of this once public resource is WRONG! Turning a public resource into a private commodity to the benefit of a handful of "Armchair" or "Slipper Skippers" must not be tolerated. This is the first step to privatization of all our fisheries folks - a VERY Dangerous trend!

Time to stand up and be counted Folks! Attend the meetings, get your buddies to do the same, write a few letters to your MP's, and get the message out there: We WILL NOT stand idly by and watch our access to common property fisheries be stripped away in favor of the already fat wallets of a handful of Fat Cat commercial harvesters!

A few items of note here:
http://www.canada.com/2010+halibut+season+...5310/story.html

http://www.canada.com/Dear+John+make+call/3955308/story.html

Related Poll in the Island Courier: http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/index.html

Nog - Engaged Firmly In This One!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Halibut Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »

HiYa Folks,

The battle over access to this once common property resource has now commenced in earnest. Should the situation continue the way it is, recreational halibut fishing will most likely be cut off for all by some time in July. Not at all due to "conservation concerns" as this resource is doing better than most. Nope, the reason for the closure is completely due to the Dino having GIFTED 88% of the annual Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to 436 commercail operators. Many of which do not even bother to set foot on a boat, far preferring to lease their "Gift" at exorbitant rates to those who actually fish.

There are a series of town-hall style meeting being scheduled up and down the coast. Newspaper and magazine articles are out, and there are more to follow.

What the Government has done in the case of this once public resource is WRONG! Turning a public resource into a private commodity to the benefit of a handful of "Armchair" or "Slipper Skippers" must not be tolerated. This is the first step to privatization of all our fisheries folks - a VERY Dangerous trend!

Time to stand up and be counted Folks! Attend the meetings, get your buddies to do the same, write a few letters to your MP's, and get the message out there: We WILL NOT stand idly by and watch our access to common property fisheries be stripped away in favor of the already fat wallets of a handful of Fat Cat commercial harvesters!

A few items of note here:
http://www.canada.com/2010+halibut+season+...5310/story.html

http://www.canada.com/Dear+John+make+call/3955308/story.html

Related Poll in the Island Courier: http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/index.html

Nog - Engaged Firmly In This One!

Hey Nog,

Being a deckhand for many, many years, I don't agree with the leasing of quota at all. If you own quota, you should either have to fish it or sell it to another licensed, vessel owner. That's coming from every deckhand that gets screwed out of their crew share, as they are the ones that pay for the leasing fees on top of the Archipelago fees and all other expenses that are there. I still remember when the boat share was 20% and we made good god damn money too, but now you simply can't make it with the price dropping after the first unload as the market gets flooded.

However, a lot of these "skippers" your talking about were catching halibut off the Pribalof's back in the 8 day Rupert lay overs,as well as down here, before you were even an idea in your old mans you-know-what, and most of them { I'm not saying all} are the quota holders your talking about. When conventional 9 ft stuck gear was the only method, and only a certain breed of man could keep up. Now a days with your piddly arsed snap gear, anybody with half a brain can fish them, and this is the case, more than not in today's world. I'd like to see what you would do if you owned some quota. If your as smart as I think you are, you would also lease it to somebody willing to pay the price, so they can keep their livelihood going, and you could go on another out of province hunt, or whatever  ;D

The difference here is the fact that if the halibut closes to the sport fishermen, you and all the other guides, as well as the individual sporty's, are in for a world of hurt, and although I don't think this is fair, you better realize that a lot of these quota's your sniveling about were damn well earned by some of the most respected old time fishermen that ever graced this friggin coast. Guys like the late Fred Kozy etc are probably rolling in their graves with crap like this being said. They are the ones who fed you your first piece of fish at the local diner when you were a little brat remember.

Fight for your right to ensure your fishery, as I think you are entitled to do so, just as the commercial fleet is also, but don't be yapping off about "slipper skippers" cause you aint been around long enough to even hold their sling shots on the stern, or bait a skate of gear , let alone tell people who they are. Wonder what your opinion would be if the "MAN" said your troll license was invalid come the new year ?? and the only other thing you knew how to do was fish halibut for a living. It's a two way street here Matt, and their not the bad guys. At least the quotas are still being fished, and with today's mandatory cameras on every boat, you don't see the never ending pumpkin patch of yellow eye off the stern like you used to either, so no fish go to waste. They have to move their gear in today's fishery.

Although I respect you and your opinions in a lot of ways Nog, your wrong, when it comes to lashing out against these men. They risked their lives to harvest halibut for the world to eat, in weather you wouldn't want to be in, on a 150' vessel let alone an old wooden 70 footer. I could show you 8mm film of the Blue Pacific #1 and Misty Moon that would make your eyes open wide to say the least. People think the Deadliest Catch boys are tough,, well meh!! their not even close to these gentlemen.

Another thing too. those fat wallets your talking about weren't always that way either, and to see a few fatter than others today is a good thing. It's no different than in any other industry. Just like the fat wallets of the over priced guides with their rich European clients.  ;)  ;D  

Lash out at the "GOVERMENT" but don't bad mouth honest, hard knocks, working class commercial fishermen, and  I would assume your "strong" feelings wouldn't be so strong, if you were just some guy, who wanted to go out and jig a couple off the swiftsure bank for take home fish.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 03:42:25 PM by Bently »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:52 PM »

I respect your opinion Bently. And it ain't the actual Fishermen I am ticked at. Many I count amongst my close Friends. And I have been there, and know the risks and hardships faced by these Men Of The Sea. I am however against those who sit at home, monopolize and lease quotas while never setting foot on a boat.

More so I am SERIOUSLY ANGRY at the Government for doing what they did. This WAS a Common Property resource. the government GAVE IT AWAY to private interests. They had no right to do so, and in fact that very action may well prove out to be Illegal (being investigated now). Those that were "gifted" this resource have every reason to be happy that they were. It created serious wealth. On the back of our resource. And I understand they will fight any action that attempts to reduce the amount of jingle that pours in for them. So be it. As I stated, the government had NO Business handing control of the resource (for free) over to those that it did. And, for the survival of guides, coastal Communities, and the everyday recreational fisher-people, I am more than willing to FIGHT!  ;)

Keep an eye on this site: http://www.sfibc.com/

Methinks we can make a difference. It will be very much an Uphill Battle, but one we can win if we stick to our guns, and get a LOT of involvement!

Cheers,
Nog

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:48:51 PM by Bently »

SFI of BC

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »

Hello:

As you all know the recreational sector's access to Pacific Coast Halibut been shut down twice in the last three years. If held to the current 88/12
 allocation in 2011, we face an even shorter season.

The Sport Fishing Institute, British Columbia Wildlife Federation, the Southern Vancouver Island Anglers Association and the BC Federation of Driftfishers
 have formed an alliance and we are on a mission to right the imbalance and unfair allocation of Canada's share of halibut.

I urge you to visit www.sfibc.com and learn more about this injustice that has 436 select people getting 88% of Canada's Natural Resource and
 profiting all while extracting economic value from B.C. Furthermore I can't express how important it is that you get involved and join the effort. It is vital!!

Please pass this website on to all your friends, family and customers. Ask them to take a few minutes to read the documents. You don't have to be a
 fisherman to realize that this is just not right. As a tax payer you will  be appalled.

You have to act. You have to write letters.
 This is not the hill that we will choose to die on!

www.sfibc.com

Please ensure that copies of all letters are sent to the SFI as well. We need to track our pressure.

Yours in Unity...

Rob Alcock
 President - SFI

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »

Here are the options: Halibut Allocation 2011– Update and Forecast

How did we get here?

• 1991 – DFO gifts shares of the common property Canadian Halibut resource to 435 commercial fishermen based on their previous catch history. This was done to remove safety concerns for fishermen and crews that arose from competitive “derby style” fisheries, and to stabilize the supply of halibut to the market.

• 2000 – These same commercial fishermen grow concerned over the “uncompensated reallocation of halibut from the commercial sector to the recreational sector”. It is worth noting that these quota holders never paid a penny for their quota when it was first gifted to them by DFO, and then they wanted to be compensated for providing this same halibut back to its rightful owners – the people of Canada. These cries for compensation for their gifted quota by the quota holders resulted in a series of allocation framework meetings which resulted in the current 2003 Halibut Allocation Policy.

• 2003 – The Thibault Allocation Policy has 3 main components:
- The Canadian TAC available to the commercial and recreational fisheries are split to provide 88% to the 435 original quota holders, and 12% to the 100,000 participants in the public fishery.
- “a 12 per cent recreational catch ‘ceiling’ will be allocated to the recreational sector until both parties can develop an acceptable mechanism that will allow for adjustment of the recreational share through acquisition of additional quota from the commercial sector”.
- “I have also made a commitment that there will be no closure of the sport fishery in-season”.

• It is generally agreed based on significant improvements in recreational fishery catch accounting methods over recent years that the recreational catch was underestimated at this time, and that the 12% allocation allowed for little to no growth.

• 2008 – A series of meetings between the commercial sector, recreational sector, BC Ministry of Environment, First Nations representatives, and DFO produced a consensus agreement between the commercial and recreational sectors on a mechanism to transfer quota. This agreement was then rejected by DFO as not meeting the requirements of the “User Fee Act”, and “ministerial authority” requirements under the “Fisheries Act”. It is the assertion of the BCSFC that the real reason for its rejection is simply lack of political will to find a solution.

• Nov 2008. The recreational sector is closed in season for the first time in clear contravention of the 2003 allocation policy.

• 2010 – The Halibut Allocation Transfer Mechanism committee is struck and tasked with finding a solution to what DFO clearly acknowledges is a serious problem with the 88\12 allocation formulae. It produces a series of options. (See page 2)

• Oct 2010 – the recreational fishery is again closed in-season causing serious economic damage to tackle manufacturers, lodges, charters, tackle stores, marinas campgrounds and other service providers to the recreational fishery again, in clear violation of the 2003 allocation policy.

• Nov – Dec 2010 Uncertainty and instability cause further damage to the recreational fishery as the message that “the recreational halibut fishery in BC is closed.”

The Problem:

• For 2011 season, if the recreational fishery was restricted to its current 12% allocation and based on similar catch rates to 2010, if the season was to start on Feb 1st, it would end:

- July 15th with bag limits of 2 per day, 3 possession
- Aug 1st with bag limits of 2 per day, 2 in possession
- August 20th with bag limits of 1 per day, 2 in possession

All of these dates represent the “peak season” for fishing in BC. This would potentially cause economic disaster to many small coastal communities as businesses fail, tourist dollars dry up, and lodges and charters close their doors early.

Remember – all of this could happen in order to ensure that less than 500 individuals continue to reap huge profits from a common property resource they never had to pay for in the first place!

• • The bare minimum considered acceptable to the recreational fishery for the 2011 season is clear:

2 halibut per day, 2 in possession.
Season start – Feb 1st, 2001
Season end – Dec 31st, 2011

Taken from the SFI report on halibut.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

Here's the list of whom to fire your letters off to:

The Honourable Gail Shea
House of Commons
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Parliament Buildings, Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6 Canada
E-Mail: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Members of Parliament

Abbott, Jim (Hon.) AbbotJ@parl.gc.ca Kootenay—Columbia Conservative
Atamanenko, Alex AtamaA@parl.gc.ca British Columbia Southern Interior NDP
Cadman, Dona Cadman.D@parl.gc.ca Surrey North Conservative
Cannan, Ron CannaR@parl.gc.ca Kelowna—Lake Country Conservative
Crowder, Jean CrowdJ@parl.gc.ca Nanaimo—Cowichan NDP
Cullen, Nathan CulleN@parl.gc.ca Skeena—Bulkley Valley NDP
Cummins, John CummiJ@parl.gc.ca Delta—Richmond East Conservative
Davies, Don Davies.D@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Kingsway NDP
Davies, Libby DavieL@parl.gc.ca Vancouver East NDP
Day, Stockwell (Hon.) DayS@parl.gc.ca Okanagan—Coquihalla Conservative
Dhaliwal, Sukh DhaliS@parl.gc.ca Newton—North Delta Liberal
Donnelly, Fin n/a New Westminster—Coquitlam NDP
Dosanjh, Ujjal (Hon.) DosanU@parl.gc.ca Vancouver South Liberal
Duncan, John Duncan.J@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Island North Conservative
Fast, Ed FastE@parl.gc.ca Abbotsford Conservative
Fry, Hedy (Hon.) FryH@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Centre Liberal
Grewal, Nina GrewaN@parl.gc.ca Fleetwood—Port Kells Conservative
Harris, Richard M. HarriR@parl.gc.ca Cariboo—Prince George Conservative
Hiebert, Russ HiebeR@parl.gc.ca South Surrey—White Rock—Cloverdale Conservative
Hill, Jay (Hon.) HillJ@parl.gc.ca Prince George—Peace River Conservative
Julian, Peter JuliaP@parl.gc.ca Burnaby—New Westminster NDP
Kamp, Randy KampR@parl.gc.ca Pitt Meadows—Maple Ridge—Mission Conservative
Lunn, Gary (Hon.) LunnG@parl.gc.ca Saanich—Gulf Islands Conservative
Lunney, James LunneJ@parl.gc.ca Nanaimo—Alberni Conservative
Martin, Keith (Hon.) MartiK@parl.gc.ca Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca Liberal
Mayes, Colin MayesC@parl.gc.ca Okanagan—Shuswap Conservative
McLeod, Cathy McLeod.C@parl.gc.ca Kamloops—Thompson—Cariboo Conservative
Moore, James (Hon.) MooreJ@parl.gc.ca Port Moody—Westwood—Port Coquitlam Conservative
Murray, Joyce MurraJ@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Quadra Liberal
Savoie, Denise SavoiD@parl.gc.ca Victoria NDP
Saxton, Andrew Saxton.A@parl.gc.ca North Vancouver Conservative
Siksay, Bill SiksaB@parl.gc.ca Burnaby—Douglas NDP
Strahl, Chuck (Hon.) StrahC@parl.gc.ca Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon Conservative
Warawa, Mark warawm7@parl.gc.ca Langley Conservative
Weston, John Weston.J@parl.gc.ca West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country Conservative
Wong, Alice Wong.A@parl.gc.ca Richmond Conservative

HARD COPIES are GREATLY preferable! And please do send a copy off to Chris Bos (c.bos@shaw.ca) . He's tracking our efforts.
Please folks, this one is DAMN IMPORTANT!!

TIA!
Matt

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »

E-mail sent. Let's try for 5000 to there less than 500.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »

Emails are fine and dandy Folks, but written Hard Copy requires a response. This is very much worth our while to do! Many will simply ignore the E's, but nearly all will (or at least task an underling with) replying.

Cheers,
Nog

SFI of BC

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

A big thanks to all of your who are writing letters and sending emails!
We would appreciate it if you would send a copy of your letters and emails to the SFI, so we can track the pressure we are applying!
They can be sent to: info@sportfishing.bc.ca
Also, you can visit www.sfibc.com for up to date information.

Rob Alcock just returned from what appears to be the last meeting of the Halibut Allocation Transfer Committee. The ball is back in the Governments court.
Rob has no confidence that the outcome of the process will favour the Recreational Sector. He will be providing a written report early next week.
It has become even more apparent that this issue will be resolved with Political Will

Please keep your letters coming!

Thanks,
Team SFI

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »

Important Town Hall Meeting January 18th
7:00 PM Beban Auditorium, Nanaimo

A totally inadequate, biased allocation system of Canada’s halibut will create a short season disaster for all of us. Come to hear the facts, and find out what you can do about it. Halibut is the concern now, but other species are scheduled for the same treatment by DFO….We need to send a message immediately that this is unacceptable.

Guest speakers will outline the issue, a panel representing several segments of the public fishery will give their perspectives and there will be an open mike session where you can ask questions and offer your comments, and suggestions.

There will be a raffle for a number of prizes, draw at the end of the meeting to help pay the costs of the hall rental. Come and bring a friend, this may be the most important contribution you make to future fishing for all of us.

EITHER WE STAND UP NOW OR BE STOOD UPON FOREVER!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »

Time to get off our butts, get a few letters in and attend a meeting or two folks!

Important Public Town Hall Meetings Announced:

Ucluelet: January 6th 7pm Ucluelet Sea Plane Base Hall

Victoria: Jan 12th Location TBA

Nanaimo: Jan 18th Beban Park Auditorium

Victoria: Jan 19th, Location TBA

Hope to see some of you there!  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »

There was an excellent turn-out at the Courtney/Comox meeting with well over a hundred concerned citizens in attendance. It was a very informative gathering, and the presentations from both organizers and attendees were first rate. Most present noted they will soon be firing off those all important letters if they haven't already.

More meetings are scheduled for the Island, all start at 7:00pm:
Ucluelet: January 6th Ucluelet Sea Plane Base Hall
Victoria: Jan 12th Sheraton 4 Points Victoria – West Shore Ballroom
Nanaimo: Jan 18th Beban Park Auditorium
Campbell River: Jan 19th Marine Heritage Centre 621 N Island Highway

http://www.sfibc.com/?page_id=204

Note that the final meeting is to be held in Campbell River, the home riding of John Duncan, one of the chief engineers of the fiasco we live under today. Just this morning a movement amongst those working for this cause was initiated to get as many as possible to that meeting to drive the point home to this man: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?14647-Caravan-to-campbell-river
Methinks Mr. Duncan should wake up and smell the coffee. The situation he directly created is spinning out of control. With a margin of less than 2,400 votes in the last election, should he chose not to do so, he is likely enjoying his last moments as an MLA. Any that would like to get in on this one, feel free to either post on the relevant thread noted above, or shoot me a PM. I am sure something can be arranged to accommodate.

If this issue is of concern to you, I strongly suggest you attend these meetings. This holds especially true for those with concerns regarding the current structure of our Recreational Sector as a whole - there will Presenters that are more informed and enlightened on that subject, as well as the issue on hand, than I ever will be. Accordingly they will be able to answer your queries much better than I can here.

The letter campaign also continues, and for those concerned in this regard, I do suggest firing off a letter or two to the relevant government officials. The more of us that get behind this initiative, the better our odds of capturing the attention of those with the ability to change the current undesirable situation.

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »

A meeting regarding the current state of the commercial and recreational halibut allocations will be held at the Maritime Heritage Centre on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 7:00pm.

Guest speakers will outline the issue, a panel representing several segments of the public fishery will give their perspectives and there will be an open mike session where you can ask questions and offer your comments and suggestions. DFO has plans to develop ITQ fisheries for a number of different species including salmon and shellfish and this could be a disaster for sportfishing as both an industry and pastime.

Please let your presence be felt as this is an important issue for all of us!

Schenley

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »

Hey Nog-- appreciate the time you are spending to get the word out.,  What folks have to realize is that halibut is the "thin edge of the wedge"  This is all part of the drive by DFO to privatize our public fisheries resources.  For those that think I am paranoid-- it has already happened with goeduck, blackcod, urchins and others.   Crab, prawns and salmon are next. (Ask the guys that are involved in the shellfish discussions with industry and DFO if you dont believe this)   We have to wake up and get Harper and co to realize that what is being proposed by DFO ( to make thier life easier) is WRONG-- Our marine resources belong to all of us-- If we dont get involved , we will end up with an eastcoast senario whereby all the fish belong to the commercials and you will not be allowed to go fishing  ( Ever question why its illegal for a rec fisher to go trap a lobster????  Funny how that happende isnt it!!! )