Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halibut Wars  (Read 30824 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Halibut Wars
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »

Halibut fishery debate boils down to semantics and spin
  By Stephen Hume, Vancouver SunJanuary 29, 2011

As a low-abundance year for halibut is expected, catch restrictions have deepened the divide between sports anglers and commercial fishing.
Photograph by: Darren Stone, Postmedia News, Vancouver SunAs with so much of the lobbying by special interests in this media-saturated environment, the discussion often comes down to semantics and spin.

There's no better example than the current wrangle between sports anglers and the commercial fishing industry over how much of the annual halibut catch each group should fairly claim.

The argument by sports anglers is that the little guy (them) is being jobbed by big business (commercial fishermen) which is hogging the catch.

Before we get to the semantics and spin, some context:

The halibut fishery was important to first nations long before newcomers imposed industrial models in the late 19th century. The subsequent over-exploitation ravaged halibut stocks. By 1910 extinction seemed imminent.

In 1923, Canada and the United States signed the Pacific Halibut Treaty -- the first international agreement independently negotiated by Ottawa. It created the International Pacific Halibut Commission to jointly manage halibut stocks in the North Pacific.

The commission advises catch limits based on a globally recognized science-based model for sustainable fisheries management. Depleted stocks recovered.

Until 1991, boats would race during seasonal openings to catch as many fish as possible until quotas were met. This permitted unlimited participation in the fishery and made it easier for respective governments to control the actual catch. But it also encouraged unsafe fishing. Boats often sank in storms trying to maximize catches.

So, in the mid-1990s the fishery moved toward individual transferable fishing quotas. This permitted boats to fish at any time during the nine-month season but strictly monitored catch limits. Furthermore, quota now included bycatch. Fishermen could sell quota.

At the beginning, sports anglers weren't after halibut. Sports anglers wanted salmon, primarily chinook and coho, with some attention to ling cod and rockfish, particularly in the Strait of Georgia.

When share of the annual halibut catch was allocated, the commercial fishermen's quota was set at 88 per cent and the sports anglers share was 12 per cent -then thought adequate at about twice the annual recreational catch.

Enter the semantics and spin.

"Sports angler" evokes the image of a guy with a beat-up 14-foot tinny and an eight horsepower kicker. Today it includes charter operators with $50,000 boats able to run out to exposed halibut banks and multimillionaire owners of luxury lodges who market to well-heeled tourists.

Some of these commercial "sports" outfits need a thousand employees just to keep their resorts, marinas, restaurants and gift shops staffed. They have been so successful marketing that tourists now outnumber local anglers by about 75 per cent. And they take about 60 per cent of the sports halibut quota.

In fact, for the last three years they've regularly overfished their allocated quota.

Just to put this in perspective, low-end charters run around $950 a day. Mid-range -how about $6,700 for four days guided fishing? At the high end, a three-day getaway for two goes for $20,000 and a four-day helicopter fishing jaunt is advertised for $161,910.

Anglers who ante up that kind of dough expect to catch fish, lots of fish, hence the recent desire for increases in daily catch limits by the "sports" anglers. But we're entering a low abundance year for halibut and catch restrictions are advised. So now tourists are booked when catches may be reduced. How to justify fishing into depleting stocks? Have commercial quota reduced by reallocation.

Frankly, folks with those kinds of assets, charging those kinds of fees, should be able to buy extra quota from the commercial fleet instead of asking that it simply be reassigned.

This brings us back to semantics and spin.

This debate isn't about big business versus little guys; it's strictly about competing business interests and whether one should get a subsidy.

It should be about the health of halibut stocks and sustainable fisheries.

On this one, I'm inclined to put the halibut first since fish make poor lobbyists.

If conservation demands catch reductions, even draconian ones, then let everybody suffer, not just one interest at the expense of another, which is precisely what transferring commercial quota to the "sports" quota is intended to achieve.

shume@islandnet.com

For a debate between sports fisherman and commercial fisherman, go to the following links: www.vancouversun.com/opinion/oped/Recrea tional+anglers+deserve+fair+catch/4159534/ story. html

www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html? id=4147425&sponsor

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
   As a low-abundance year for halibut is expected, catch restrictions have deepened the divide between sports anglers and commercial fishing.Photograph by: Darren Stone, Postmedia News, Vancouver Sun
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »

I usally agree with what Stephan Hume says. But allowing the commercial fishery people most of the alloted Halibut because they use to kill themselves racing to catch fish is not a good reason. Commercial fishers who died fishing have usually like 99 % plus died because their not doing things safely. If a charter operator had a fatality rate like that should they get to have more quota? As the article said too that these people doing charters have thousands of people working for them and helping tourism here. So if some people from out of province catch some halibut it seems like a good thing. As long as the stocks are OK. It appears that the commercial fleet put the stocks almost into extingtion before. ::)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »

Ahhhh the Wonders one can create when you have enough money for a professional lobby and public relations machine and can also afford to purchase large ads in the major papers. I notice they did not allow for comments on what I will politely call an opinion piece. Or as he himself labeled it: "Semantics and Spin"

There is so much in error in this article it is damn tough to know just where to begin. For starters, the halibut allocation issue is “… strictly about competing business interests and whether one should get a subsidy???? Apparently recreational anglers such as myself and thousands upon thousands of others (with no relationship to the guides or lodges) and our long standing concerns about the unfair halibut allocation, don’t really exist. This issue is only about a few greedy multimillionaire lodge owners - thanks for clearing that up for us Mr. Hume.

Far to busy with REAL matters to bother with the balance at this point. Suffice it to say: I wonder just who padded Mr. Hume's pockets for this particular "spin".

Shakin' the nog yet again...
Nog

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »

Just think, if it were an 80% - 20% split, the next thing you know, the average Joe Sporty would whine about how the lodges and guides are taking too much of the 20%. Where does it end ?? Maybe you's should just jig the odd lingcod and rock cod, or get out there and catch your halibut before the big wig lodges {Langara etc.} and small fry guides like IronNoggin and friends catch too much, too soon and get your Average Joe recreational sport shut down too early. Just think, if it weren't for the guides and lodges catching so much, the average dude with a boat could fish all year long.  ::)Ever think of griping about how much these rec sector lodges and rinky dink guide outfits catch too much of the rec sectors TAC ??? Either that or buy a feed of halibut from the dock, and quit sniveling so much ::) How's that for stirring the pot  ;)  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:10:05 PM by Bently »

StillAqua

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »

"Insider" information suggests the Halibut issue has now been passed on to the PM's office from DFO (running away from the matter once again?)
Several MP's and MLA's now petitioning the government to DEAL with the matter Swiftly and Fairly: http://www.sfibc.com/?page_id=164
I sympathise with the issue but it's NEVER good news when politicians in Ottawa start mucking around in our regional resource management decisions...we know their track record on the east coast. The bottom line is conservation of the resource for future generations.....Ottawa politicians can't see that far ahead.

remington56

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »

In response to troutbreath's posting of Stephen Humes' article in the Sun he should see what was sent to Mr. Hume as a reply:

When you are talking about semantics and spin you should have an understanding of what the real issue is.  Let me respectfully make you aware of a few facts:

The "commercial sports sector" pricing you placed in your article uses the highest inflated prices in the industry that represent less than 5% of the businesses out there.  I'm also curious where you found a helicopter halibut fishing operation.  I guess it's all about semantics and spin isn't it?

You should be aware that lodges and charter operators do not charge for fish.  The business itself does not use quota.  Each individual fisherman holds a Sportfishing license and is mandated by law to stay within the limits that license grants him/her.  You need to understand that this industry provides opportunity and means for the individual recreational fisherman.  Not every one can afford, has the ability to, or the inclination to spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy the necessary equipment to go fishing, especially if they only go once or twice a year.  This is the niche that the lodge and charter industry fills.

As far as your opinion on tourists in the lodge and charter operations go, I work for a company that operates 4 lodges.  Our largest customer base comes from, hold on, British Columbia.  That's right, good ole' local BC.  Next is Alberta.  Non resident tourists only comprise about 30% of our business.  The rest is Canadian.  So, get your facts straight before you offer semantics and spin. 

We are not asking to double our limits.  For the past several years, in the period of low abundance, we have been allowed 2 fish in possession.  that's all we are asking for.   The difference is that we want to be able to obtain them both in the same day.  People need to be informed that a daily limit doesn't mean that they can keep that number of fish every day.  When you talk limits, talk about POSSESSION limits.

The real issue here is the fact that this quota system exists in the first place.  The recreational sector has been trying to operate within this system since it's inception and has said all along that it won't work.  It has proved to be a struggle with limits and opportunity for recreational anglers suffering a large decline over the past few years and still cannot manage within the 12% allocation.  Now it's gotten to the point that 2011 will prove disastrous to the whole industry.  Not just lodges and charter operations but marinas, hotels, restaurants, tackle shops, boat and motor manufactureres and distributors, etc, etc., etc.  This is affecting thousands of people. 

This isn't about conservation.   It's about allocation.  This is about the suffering of thousands of people at the benefit of "slipper skippers".  A select few people who originally got a free gift of a public resource and are gaining financially at the expense of thousands of others.  That's what's wrong with the system.  It should have been designed as an IFQ, not an ITQ system and a higher percentage allocated to the sports sector.  The original percentage was assigned on the basis of incomplete and inaccurate data.

Understand that the rec sector supports the commercial fishermen that actually fish and are forced to buy quota at prices that make it inhibitive for them to make money except in huge volumes.   This volume could be cut down and they could make more money if "slipper skippers" didn't exist.  Some of this abused quota should be allocated to the recreational sector that provides the greatest good to the greatest number and then everyone that actually fishes would win.

You're absolutely right that this has become about semantics and spin and it's wrong.  I wish someone would educate the public with FACTS for a change.  That's your job as a journalist, isn't it?

remington56

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »

Troutbreath:

I didn't mean my response as an attack against you.  I just saw your posted comments about the article.  Just wanted to get the response to the article out in circulation.  Sorry if I inappropriately centred you out as agreeing with it.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »

No problem. I found Hume's article less than journalism. Where you try to get the facts straight to inform readers of the issues. I've gone fishing for halibut in a 12 foot aluminum ::) and would be going on a charter next time. :) Most people I know going for them here in BC go charter.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »

Meeting in Maple ridge coming soon, the home riding of Randy Kamp: Parliamentary Secretary to Fisheries Minister Gail Shea. My bet says he doesn't show, but very worthwhile for those who are close enough to!

Meeting in Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows

Meadow Gardens Golf Course
February 21
7 p.m.

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »

Kitimat Town Hall Meeting

Feb 27 (Sunday), 2pm

Kitimat Rod & Gun Club

;)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »

Today is Decision Day Folks.
We will hear something regarding whatever DFO will now propose to deal with the situation by this evening.
If this matter is of any import to you, I'd suggest taking a whopping five minutes out of your day and placing a call to your MP.

If you are ever gonna make one important phone call this year make it to your mp today.

It important that you do this today, tell him or her that if they want your vote they need to do the right thing and change the halibut allocation now:

Keith Martin Esquimalt\Juan de Fuca
Liberal
250-474-6505

James Lunney Nanaimo\Alberni
Conservative
250-390-7550

Jean Crowder Nanaimo\Cowichan
NDP
250-746-4896

Gary Lunn Saanich\Gulf Islands
Conservative
250-656-2320

John Duncan Vancouver Island North
Conservative
1-800-667-8404 (Courtenay) 250-956-2494 (Port McNeil)

Denise Savoie Victoria
NDP
250-363-3600

Nathan Cullen Skeena\Bulkely Valley
NDP
(250) 877-4140

John Cummins Delta\Richmond East
Conservative
(604) 940-8040

Don Davies Vancouver\Kingsway
NDP
604-775-6263

Libby Davies Vancouver East
NDP
604 775 5800

Stockwell Day Okanagan\Coquihalla
Conservative

Sukh Dhaliwal Newton\North Delta
Liberal
(604) 598-2200

Fin Donnelly New Westminster\Coquitlam
NDP
604) 664-9229

Ujjal Dosanjh Vancouver South
Liberal
(604) 775-5323

Edward Fast Abbotsford
Conservative
604) 557-7888

Hedy Fry Vancouver Centre
Liberal

Nina Grewal Fleetwood\Port Kells
Conservative
(604) 501-5900

Dick Harris Cariboo - Prince George
Conservative
250-564-7771

Peter Julian Burnaby\New Westminster
NDP
(604) 775-5707

Randy Kamp Pitt Meadows\Maple Ridge\Mission
Conservative

Colin Mayes Okanagan\Shuswap
Conservative
250-260-5020

Cathy Mcleod Kamloops\Thompson\Cariboo
Conservative
250-851-4991

James Moore Port Moody\Westwood\ Port Coquitlam
Conservative

Joyce Murray Vancouver \ Quadra
Liberal
604-664-9220

Andrew Saxton North Vancouver
Conservative
613-995-1225

Bill Siksay Burnaby \ Douglas
NDP
604-291-8863

Chuck Strahl Chilliwack \ Fraser Canyon
Conservative
(604) 847-9711

Mark Warawa Langley
Conservative
604-534-5955

John Weston West Vancouver \ Sunshine Coast \ Sea to Sky Country
Conservative
604 981 1790 (Vancouver)
604 885 2939 (Sechelt)
604 489 2222 (Powell River)

Alice Wong Richmond
Conservative
604-775-5790

Cheers,
Nog

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

not good

Master of the Understatement!  ;)

Statement by Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans - Pacific Halibut February 15, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA, ONTARIO – The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today issued the following statement:

Our Government understands the value and significance of the Pacific halibut fishery to British Columbians. The current sharing formula, which allocates 88% of the harvest to commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational harvesters, has been in place since 2003. Since then there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent round of discussions took place throughout 2010. I’m disappointed to report that those discussions have reached an impasse and stakeholders have been unable to reach a consensus, Because of this, a ministerial decision is required to move forward for the 2011 season.

As Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, I have been entrusted with managing our precious marine resources responsibly and sustainably. This responsibility includes ensuring that we meet our various international obligations with regards to conservation. All fish management decisions are made to meet the following three priorities: conservation, sustainability of the fishery and economic viability. It is with these in mind that I announce the following:

The 2011 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal license will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession.

Our Government recognizes the value of the recreational fishery to British Columbians and the economic opportunities it provides. Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes.

As for the future, clearly it is in the best interests of all sectors to come to a long-term solution that recognizes the important contribution each makes to British Columbia. To achieve this, I have asked my Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Kamp, Member of Parliament from Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, to work with my officials to develop options for my consideration prior to the start of the 2012 season. These options will need to meet the following objectives:

•Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch.

•Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

•Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.
I have long held the belief that those who participate in and depend on a fishery to make their living need to be able to provide input into how that fishery is managed. Ideally, that happens in a collaborative and constructive manner. Many stakeholders from both sectors have clearly articulated their current positions, but I encourage continued dialogue about new approaches between interested parties and my officials. The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery.

For more information:

Frank Stanek
Media Relations
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
613-990-7537
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUCH! Couldn't have received a much firmer dismissal.  >:(

I see a couple of strategies left to the Colation now:

First: NONE of the charter groups should buy any of these new proto-type Licenses nor any additional quota. If any single one calves, they drag the rest of us down into acceptance of this madness. This directly appears to be following the Alaskan model, wherein those who play ball eventually end up being the only ones allowed to fish, and the rest be damned. Further this is an obvious tactic on DFO's part to create even more division amongst the recreational sector, thus I am not at all surprised they are attempting to rely on that age-old (and to now extremely reliable) card once again.
Methinks it would behoove the Coalition to get the Don't Do It message across to all, as soon as possible. The old What if they held a party and nobody showed analogy applies well here.

Second: We have an election coming up. Is everyone involved determined enough to both vote against and campaign against the government that has screwed us over once again? I would hope so. In fact I am going so far as to phone Lunney, thank him for his support in this cause, but sadly informing him that due to the actions of his government, I simply can not vote for him again. This will also be sent in letter form, as will similar letters to Shea and the PM. Thanks for the message - here, in a very similar tone is our reply.

Methinks at this point they simply want us to throw our hands in the air and walk away. Worst possible thing we could do. In fact the very reverse should be true now, and we should up the pressure as much as we feasibly can.

For the long term, methinks we now must find a way to bring the other two sectors to the table with us. The deep-pocket absentee Fish Brokers have had their way, and are likely giggling contentedly over just how they were able to fix that particular little red wagon. Enough. The end result of their expensive and effective lobbying campaign is the working fisherman still produces more income for his absentee Fish Lord than he realizes for his own efforts, and the recreational fleet is once again left holding the bag. Most of us recognize that as wrong. Methinks enough of the Real Fishermen likely think along similar lines, but are simply muzzled by those that hold access privileges over them. The time for us to work together to right that wrong has come. This doesn't have to occur overnight, Shea has drawn her line in the sand for this season. But methinks we had best take advantage of the time preceding next year's continuation of the problem to form a United Front with those amongst the commercial fleet who are willing to do so. Those forced into lease situations actually have more to gain from abolishing absentee ownership than the recreational fleet does. Thus I believe there exist distinct possibilities of moving forward in this fashion. And I would like to be amongst the first to note that I am willing to donate whatever time and energy is required to make this happen. I see little other recourse at this juncture...

I am pissed, but I am not overly surprised. DFO's tactics of shuffling the deck and tossing out piecemeal offerings directly designed to deflect from their own back yard while maximizing internal both inter and infra-sectoral dissent has proven effective for them in the past. So again, no surprise they rely on just that once again. Are we "Man" enough to meet the challenge of forgoing their "offer" and working collectively with all user groups to find a more equitable solution? I sincerely hope so. Otherwise all of our efforts to date have been a considerable waste...

Not so damn cheery,
Matt

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
February 15, 2011
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition

SPORT FISHERS SLAM HALIBUT PLAN
RICHMOND – The B.C. Sportfishing Coalition panned Fisheries Minister Gail Shea’s plan for the 2011 recreational halibut fishery. “Minister Shea and Conservative MPs in B.C. have abandoned recreational anglers and sided with a small group of well-connected commercial quota holders,” said coalition spokesperson Rob Alcock. “The decision to leave the halibut allocation policy unchanged will punish recreational anglers, the businesses that support them, and the thousands of people who are employed in sport fishing in the province.”

In 2003, former Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault allocated 88% of Canada’s Total Allowable Catch (TAC) of halibut to 436 commercial quota holders and allocated 12% to the province’s 100,000 recreational halibut anglers. Recreational anglers have long opposed the policy and argued that it privatizes Canada’s common-property halibut resource.

Since 2003, recreational anglers have faced shortened seasons and a 50% reduction in catch limits. During the same period, commercial halibut quota became a tradable commodity and in 2010 less than half of the 436 commercial quota holders actually fished their catch. The rest simply leased out their rights and collected royalty cheques.

Amazingly, while DFO claims that the commercial fishery is accountable, DFO staff now acknowledge that they do not know who actually owns the 436 commercial quotas that control 88% of Canada’s halibut TAC.

“Shea’s suggestion that individual anglers can now seek to lease quota from commercial quota holders is confirmation of her view that Canada’s halibut resource is private property owned by the lucky few,” said Alcock. “Over the past two months, recreational anglers have held meetings, written letters and sought the support of B.C.’s Conservative
MPs. I expect they will remember this decision when those MP’s look to anglers for support in the coming months,” said Alcock.

For more information please contact:
Rob Alcock
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition
778-868-8779

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »

Letter to MP James Lunney, DFO Minister Shea, and PM Harper sent today:

"Dear Mr. Lunney,

First I would like to personally thank you for fine performance as our local MP, and your recent outspoken involvement in the halibut allocation issue. Your words were certainly well appreciated, and I only wish that more of your colleagues could perceive the significant importance of this matter to BC's economy.

Unfortunately Minister Shea today produced a statement on this very issue that completely ignores the voting public, directly furthers the Department's assertion that this resource largely "belongs" in the hands of a very select few (a direct contravention of a previous related Supreme Court decision and very unlikely to withstand the test of Law) and furthers that privatization by the creation of yet another "commercial" sector.

In a query to all Conservative MP's early this spring, Prime Minister Harper noted he was actively seeking input as to mechanisms to increase economic activity nation-wide. At that time I applauded his efforts, firmly believing his intentions in this regard were sound. However today's announcement flies directly in the face of that. There are literally thousands of people in BC whose jobs rely both directly and indirectly to the recreational fishing sector's activities. The direct and spin-off benefits are immense. However this has obviously been ignored in favor of a select few who provide very little in the way of economic input in comparison. Thus I find PM Harper's words more than misleading, something I consider a very serious matter.

I understand that there are those in your Cabinet that believe this matter will now simply go away. Rest assured, it will not. In fact the opposite is likely true given that the desires of the voting public have been so gravenly ignored. The groundswell of support this matter created amongst the "Common Man" is not localized to British Columbia, and in fact is wide-spread right across our entire Nation. Few things get the voting public as disappointed as having their wishes and desires blatantly ignored in favor of making a select wealthy few even wealthier. I firmly believe you are about to witness the manifestation of that disappointment into action.

I have always been a long-term supporter of the Conservatives, both at the voting booth, in donations, and active discussions with my peers. Therefore it is with a heavy heart that I now find myself writing you to inform you of my decision to withdraw any and all such support for the Conservative Party. I very much feel for yourself being caught up in this mess, however it is very much a mess created by your own government, and alas you - as their representative - must pay the price.

Unless something very dramatic occurs in the next short while, I will find myself actively and openly campaigning alongside the thousands of like-minded anglers, who rightfully feel they have been seriously let down, AGAINST your Party's continued governance.

I am cc'ing this letter to the DFO Minister who made such an improper (and very likely Illegal) ruling as well as PM Harper. The message from here is clear: You have well overstepped your bounds in turning a Common Property Resource into a Privately Traded Commodity, in directly ignoring the desires of the voting public, and in creating undue stress on BC's struggling economy. In doing so your government has raised the ire of a Sleeping Giant. Unfortunate that you, and those amongst your colleagues that feel as you have indicated, must suffer for the wrongful decisions of another. But alas, I see no other recourse at this juncture.

I would be pleasantly surprised to receive a realistic response from yourself, and those this message has been cc'd to. This is a very significant turning point for me and many Canadians. I would however request that the cc'd parties please refrain from the platitude of yet another mass produced, say nothing response.

Regretfully,
J. Matt Stabler"