Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halibut Wars  (Read 31020 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Halibut Wars
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »

I agree with the above statement.  I think it is time to divide the term "commercials"  into categories just to make sure we know who we are talking about.  Seems to me that there are two types:

1.  The guys who do the fishing.
2.  The guys who own the quotas.

And the discussion is not about the guys who do the fishing cuz there getting the shaft from the guys who own the quotas.

Would it be an option to force the quota owners to sell to commercial fisherman at a far better price so that makes up for the loss given to the sporties?

This quota thing....I am not sure.

IMO

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »

"...Recreational fishers have now realized that halibut allocation is the thin edge of the wedge. Right now, discussions between DFO and the fishing industry are taking place on privatizing crab and prawns. DFO is undoubtable eyeing other species as well. In English Common Law, dating back 800 years, the public has had the right to access marine fish resources. The government seems intent on destroying that principle. We can't let that happen. I hope others take the time to write DFO Minister Gail Shea and Prime Minister Stephen Harper to express their concerns."

Bryan Allen: http://www.canada.com/take+fishing+rights+away/4093923/story.html

Pay Attention here Folks! This can and will effect ALL of our fisheries if we continue to bow to DFO's "guidance"!
Get those letters in there!!

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

Meeting Tomorrow Night, January 18, 7:00 pm, Bevan Park Auditorium, Nanaimo.

Should be a Good One! Hope a few of ya'll can make it.  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »

Last of the Island Meetings tonight in Campbell River:

Town Hall Meeting January 19th
7:00 PM Maritime Heritage Centre
621 North Island Highway, Campbell River

This may well be amongst the most important issues faced by the recreational sector we have ever dealt with, and will certainly effect our access to all marine species down the road. I truly hope some of you can make it!

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

Great showing last night Folks! Happy to know we are not alone in this one!!

Here's Duncan's official release on this issue from today:

Statement by John Duncan MP on Halibut Allocation

For immediate release

COURTENAY, JANUARY 20, 2011 – In recent weeks there has been considerable discussion on the issue of halibut allocation. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify my position on this issue.

Concerned anglers want to ensure that they maintain their access to a public resource. As a recreational fisher, this is a position that I strongly support.

There have been many developments in recent years that have influenced the management of and pressures on BC’s halibut stocks. For example, BC’s commercial halibut fishery changed to 100% monitoring using camera technology in 2006, and has become integrated with the ground fishery. The design of this fishery has ended bycatch waste and depoliticised the allocation of the resource within the commercial sector. At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.

We are currently in a cyclical decline in Halibut abundance on the West Coast, to the point that the current total allowable catch is about half of what it was four years ago. This obviously puts pressure on all users of the resource as they try to maintain their livelihoods and recreational pursuits in the face of decreasing catch. In response to this, it is understandable that people are focusing on who gets access to the fish.

The key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery.

A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors.

For more information, please contact:

Minister's Office
Office of the Honourable John Duncan
Director of Communications
Michelle Yao
Michelle.Yao@inac.gc.ca

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »

At the same time, the commercial sector of the recreational halibut fishery (guides and lodges) has grown dramatically to become an important contributor to our economy, but has also increased pressure on the recreational allocation.

There we go with the "Party Line" yet again? What part of "service providers" doesn't he get? Obviously designed to try and keep the Recreational Sector firmly divided. Not this time methinks!  ;)

The key concern that we must focus on, however, is the sustainability of the resource. Management of this fishery, including allocation decisions, should be based on science, thorough monitoring and good management principles. There are many examples historically to demonstrate that decisions based on politics rather than science rarely yield the best result for the fishery.

Ummm.. Seems everyone else understands that this is not a "Conservation Issue". Guess he might want to enlighten the Halibut Commission that all of their efforts and conclusions are out to lunch?  ::)

I'd really like to understand just how the giving away of 88% of the TAC was based on "Science" and "good management principles" rather than Politics. Laughable were it not so far out there...  ???

A lasting and equitable solution will require all of the parties to work together in good faith and with the best interest of the resource in mind. Our primary concern must remain the health and sustainability of the fishery, and any change must provide a fair balance between the unique West Coast requirements of the First Nation, recreation and commercial sectors.

It has become obvious that DFO has NO interest whatsoever in working with either side of this equation "in good faith". In fact, the divisiveness between the two groups is being actively encouraged, it is a rather strong tactic after all.

Our fight is NOT with the commercial fishermen, especially so with those who actually fish. They have been lead into this miserable situation directly by DFO as much as we have. Rather our fight is with "management" or the lack thereof as the case may be. Although they are mandated to ensure our resources are managed for the best and wisest use, their actions indicate anything but. Time to let them know this is INTOLERABLE!

We have said all along that the health and sustainability of the resource is indeed priority number one - no argument there. As for "any change must provide a FAIR balance" - that is EXACTLY what this matter is all about: Fair and Equitable distribution of this Common Property Resource! Bloody shame that Duncan firmly believes that keeping the Recreational Sector throttled back to 12% is somehow Fair?  ???

Given Mr. Duncan won his last election by less than 2,400 votes with a rather small showing of the electorate, methinks the time has come to let him know just how far we collectively exceed that margin, and that his days are NUMBERED!

I will be writing him a response. Will post here once I have done so...

Final note for now: I never set out to become involved in a Political Battle, in fact I very much detest the fact that I am now. We have politely tried for years upon years via the SFAB, the local Community Councils, Round-tables and more. All pretty much a dismal failure. DFO simply doesn't place any importance on recreational fisheries, never have, and still refuses to do so. It is they who created this mess we are now in, and it is they alone who can fix it. Unfortunate as hell that they continue to express absolutely no desire to do so. Their very actions have made "reasonable dialogue" a complete waste of effort. And so, they have painted us into the corner we now stand in. If we stand idly by on this issue, we are certain to face much of the same treatment when it comes down to access for all marine resources. Sad fact, unfortunately true.

The ONLY thing they do seem to understand at this juncture is pressure upon their governors, the elected officials of this Great Nation. So be it. Although it causes me a good deal of stress, I will continue to pound the letters at them, on a frequent basis. One letter is a good start Folks, one a week MUCH better! If we are now to become the "Squeaky Wheel" it is time for the bearings to come off. I urge every one of you reading this to take a few moments and express your concern over this issue, regardless of which side of the fence you might sit on.

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Channel A News, early edition this evening. Worth the watch  ;)

roeman

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »

A few questions.
How fast do Halibut grow?
How old is a 30lb
How old is a 150lb
Can you successfully release a 150lb hali and have it live?  100% of the time?

I have fished the west coast 6 times at different locations and from what I see the amount of fish coming out of lodges and camp grounds by sports fishing is disgusting.  All  people talked about was getting their limits and how they killed a 100lb hali...
Have seen coolers of fish leave camp sites with guys that leave the group early and take home everyones fish with notes in case they are stopped... the guys left behind kill their possession limits again.  Seen this happen often with out looking for it... So I am guessing it happens allot... Lodges and guiding outfits should be made to release an Hali over a certain weight.  Allowing a client to kill a fish that size is irresponsible and shows no respect for the stocks...

Won't be long before we are all fishing for 10" trout in stocked lakes... out of Grady Whites and Jet Boat's... lol
Are you fishin or catchin

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

Have seen coolers of fish leave camp sites with guys that leave the group early and take home everyones fish with notes in case they are stopped... the guys left behind kill their possession limits again.  Seen this happen often with out looking for it... So I am guessing it happens allot...

The answers to your first sety of questions can easily be found on-line. Google is your friend.  ;)

No, this does not happen "a lot". What, in fact, you witnessed were direct Violations of the Fisheries Act. Should never be tolerated.
Did YOU report these violations? Or simply walk away to "report" them here? If the latter, you are part of the problem. Really.

Nog

roeman

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »

Thanks for the update on Google, would have never thought of that....
Wow... Would have been easier to just type out a weight and an age if you are going to respond at all...

Obviously it is a direct violation....
Been to Poets Nook three times in Bamfield and it happened every time, so for me that is allot...

Asked the lady at the office and she said she would deal with it.
Not much for cell phones up there..
It was a simple question so you can take your comment and shove it...
Hope they do close the fishing for Halis, serve you right..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:26 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »

It was a simple question so you can take your comment and shove it...
Hope they do close the fishing for Halis, serve you right..

Wow! We ARE real mature then aren't we... LOL!  :D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »

Port Hardy Town Hall Meeting

Port Hardy: January 27th (Thursday), 7pm

Quatse River Stewardship Center

First Volley from DFO. The anticipated opening for the recreational sector, historically occurring every February 1st, has now been delayed a minimum of one month: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.htm#Finfish_%28Other_than_Salmon

And on it goes...
Nog

StillAqua

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »

I'm curious what % allocations of the total allowable annual halibut catch among the commercial, guide/resort, and pure recreational sectors you folks are suggesting would be fair?

This trend towards privatization of access to natural resources does seem to be a common mantra among the Provincial Liberals and Federal Conservatives, all in the name of economic development.

Schenley

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »

20%

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »

This trend towards privatization of access to natural resources does seem to be a common mantra among the Provincial Liberals and Federal Conservatives, all in the name of economic development.

If were actually to be economic development, this matter would have decided a very long time ago. It is painfully obvious who puts more coin back into the economy per pound of landed catch. In this instance, the flawed quota management system simply created Fish Barons of enormous wealth, at the expense of honest hard-working fishermen, while denying access for the rightful "owners".

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »

UPDATE:

Kitimat now online: http://fightforhalibut.wordpress.com/

Meetings in Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge and Kitimat coming soon. Details to be announced early next week: http://www.bchalibut.org/?page_id=204

BC Coalition Website HACKED and forced to shut down. New site at: http://www.bchalibut.org/

DFO delays Recreational Halibut Opening:
Dear Friends,
We learned this afternoon that DFO has chosen to delay the recreational halibut fishery until government decides the future disposition of our common property resource.
Efforts are ramping up and more letters are coming in daily...your efforts are paying off.

"Insider" information suggests the Halibut issue has now been passed on to the PM's office from DFO (running away from the matter once again?)

Several MP's and MLA's now petitioning the government to DEAL with the matter Swiftly and Fairly: http://www.sfibc.com/?page_id=164

Full and half page ads in several major newspapers being run by the commercial sector. All to date have contained serious misinformation.

It seems the letter writing / meeting campaign is making a difference. The pressure continues to find and implement an Equitable decision.

This is YOUR Access on the line here Folks, and WILL set precedence for ongoing (and upcoming) discussions of the privatization of many marine resources (crabs and prawns now under "negotiation"). If this concerns you, your letters of support would be sincerely appreciated!

Cheers,
Nog