Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People Who Assume things on the River!!  (Read 33982 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Re: People Who Assume things on the River!!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »

What?? You're white? I've always assumed that you're not... ;D

Stereotyping happens in all cultures, best to not worry about what others think about you and focus on what you can learn and improve on.

Today someone from the other side of the river told Chris and I that coho are passing through the ankle deep water that we were standing in and that we should get out of the water for him (especially since he arrived 4 hours after us). ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=147

lol
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

YESFISH

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »

My leaders are around 14-18 inches but may also vary depending on the water. To me, if its in the mouth its fine. I don't jerk on the end of my drift. I drift naturally, hitting bottom every so often but if its irregular you have to fish deep enough.  Instinctually, if I have lots of slack sometimes I sense a fish is on and will set the hook.
Sharing rods with whoever has licenses is good.
Love Canada.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »

I treat everyone fairly but I've seen so much prejudice in Canada that its amazing.

There is more prejudice in Canada.

I'm from the US but Canadians and US people are to me, all Americans.

Why am I called a Yankee? 

I don't even know where to start with this post, but I'll try.

Yes, there is prejudice in Canada, and sometimes the amount and ferocity of it scares me.  But to say there is more prejudice in Canada than there is in the US is complete and utter crap.  Total BS.

I'm from Canada, and I am NOT an American in the generally accepted usage of the term.  I'm Canadian, and proud of it.

Why are you called a Yankee?  Because you're from the states.  Would you rather be called a Confederate (hello, prejudice)?  I'm called a Canuck because I'm from Canada, eh? 

I appreciate the flavour of your post (which seems to me to be "why can't we all just get along"), but it gets a bit sour when you in the same breath accuse Canadians of being more prejudiced and calling us Americans.

Try again.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

What?? You're white? I've always assumed that you're not... ;D

Hahaha... hard to believe, eh?  I know the blue eyes and blonde hair throw most people off, but I am in fact pretty caucasian.  lol

"Stereotyping happens in all cultures, best to not worry about what others think about you (but be receptive to suggestions at the same time) and focus on what you can learn and improve on."

This are my feeling exactly, Rod.  Well said.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

So all flossers use long leaders? I can think of a couple types of water and instances where a 12-18" leader would be better for flossing than a 36" leader.

Its the anglers thought of mind and his/her actions that decide to floss (if theyre aware of what theyre doing), not their leader length, gear setup, gum boots or yellow rain coat that make them flossers. There are times when I go out in gum boots and rain gear yet I TRY not to floss fish, but it can still happen.

OK than what are those couple of types? Do you know why a longer leader is a better flossing tool? How would a 12-18'' leader be a better flossing tool. I would like to read legitimate reasons for this as you claim to know.

A flosser or snagger does not have to be a person wearing gum boots or using a spinning rod. A flosser or snagger could be wearing nothing bu Simms clothing and using top of the line sage rods. It has absolutely nothing to do with what they use or wear. It all has to do with how they fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »

I use a 10-12 inch 15 lb leader, and fish shallow....I highly doubt that would classify as flossing......

A 2 or 3 foot leader is just a waist.....unless you wanna floss.......

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »

OK than what are those couple of types? Do you know why a longer leader is a better flossing tool? How would a 12-18'' leader be a better flossing tool. I would like to read legitimate reasons for this as you claim to know.

A flosser or snagger does not have to be a person wearing gum boots or using a spinning rod. A flosser or snagger could be wearing nothing bu Simms clothing and using top of the line sage rods. It has absolutely nothing to do with what they use or wear. It all has to do with how they fish.
Yep, saw it today. :-X today after yesterday debates but maybe it was because I had the heavies along with me yesterday, that ould be Rod and Shane, well maybe Shane. ;D ;D

koko

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »

I just can not resit, actually my friend is a deadlly snagger, he like to spotted fish in traveling lane and use a 12" leader. The reason he use a short leader is because he can judge better where the fish head is. No I don't fish with him ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

maybe it was because I had the heavies along with me yesterday, that ould be Rod and Shane, well maybe Shane. ;D ;D

That's fine. I run faster when a confrontation breaks out. ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

Flossing and snagging are 2 different things.

As we all know, flossing is using a long leader (8-12') so that the line gets caught in the fish's mouth and then gets pulled through until the hook hits the mouth.

You can easily snag with a short leader - it puts your hook very close to the weight and thus right on top of the fish.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »

Flossing and snagging are 2 different things.

No they are not.
Both techniques catch unwilling fish, which did NOT intend to take your presentation.
The only difference is that flossing is technically legal because the hook ends up in the outer corner of the fish's mouth.

Both techniques are equally despicable and should never be used.

Getting the fish to BITE is what makes you an angler.

SpringKing#1

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »

Guys, it's time some of you realized that most of the pre-spawning salmon caught in the rivers are lined, or flossed - intentionally or not.
If you think you are catching them because they consistently bite, you are simply deluding yourselves.
Yes, there is the occasional 'aggression strike' (especially with coho and spring jacks) that ends up with you hooking the fish INSIDE the mouth, but other than that, take a close look at the position of your hook every time you bring in the fish.
Is the point of the hook inside the mouth? If not, the fish is probably lined.

Even short-floating is conducive to snagging if you run your presentation through a thick school of fish. That's why I am done with the Vedder until some heavy rain blows the river and cleans it of pinks.

If you don't believe me, try fishing with circle hooks: then tell me how many fish you caught.

Bingo .... If you want to stop all the .. what ever you call it make it law to only use these types of hooks in the Vedder . I think if some one is hitting fiish all day at this time of the year in the vedder and is using roe or shrimp 95% are flossed or snagged .
I think if you could only use those hooks , the salmon retention in the vedder would drop by at least 99%.
Remember this is only what I  Assume. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »

You can easily snag with a short leader - it puts your hook very close to the weight and thus right on top of the fish.

Yes you are right but as I said in a previous post you do not hold back so you donot do the sweep. Your float should be straight up and be drifting freely at the speed of the current. This will keep flossing and foul hooking to a minimum.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »

I just can not resit, actually my friend is a deadlly snagger, he like to spotted fish in traveling lane and use a 12" leader. The reason he use a short leader is because he can judge better where the fish head is. No I don't fish with him ;D
Same response as I said to Easywater

Yes you are right but as I said in a previous post you do not hold back so you donot do the sweep. Your float should be straight up and be drifting freely at the speed of the current. This will keep flossing and foul hooking to a minimum

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

Bingo .... If you want to stop all the .. what ever you call it make it law to only use these types of hooks in the Vedder . I think if some one is hitting fiish all day at this time of the year in the vedder and is using roe or shrimp 95% are flossed or snagged .
I think if you could only use those hooks , the salmon retention in the vedder would drop by at least 99%.
Remember this is only what I  Assume. ;)

Of course, these hooks are not designed to catch fish.
This is similar to tying roe to a piece of line and throwing it in the water.
Or just simply fishing in your bath tub at home.