Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People Who Assume things on the River!!  (Read 33753 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
People Who Assume things on the River!!
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »

Just wanted to vent on a subject that really irritates the living ****** out of me.  I'm going to say for the most part that fishing is very pleasant.  You just seem to have those days sometimes, especially when you're asian or perhaps a different skin colour.  I know for a fact that there are alot of asian people that do not fish properly and i see it all the time.  I, as a westernized banana if you want to call it.  Always tell people in general who are trying to snag to stop because it's not an ethical way of fishing and it's against the rules.  Or I'll just tell them that if you keep it up you will get a fine and there are alot of undercover dfo's.  I know for a fact that i fish properly and am very considerate and ethical on the river.  People who aren't irritates me especially if they are oriental because they give people like me a bad rep.  Being said that, I also don't appreciate guys who get pissed off at me for hooking to much fish saying that i'm snagging.  I know for fact because of my skin coulour. It is the odd pea, because i conversate with a lot of anglers around me.  I have been using nothing but  roe, shrimp and will reel in gently at the end of my drift.  So just because a little asian guy is nailin alot of fish on "BAIT" to some people he's snaggin.   Alot of people on the river see what im doin and they are on my side when they see a douche of an angler lippin me off for no reason. 

Also wanted to clear something up.  Lets say you are fishing with a buddy.  You hook a fish ( spring ) and you've already caught yours.  When during the period of the time when you hook a fish do you have to hand the rod over??? is before you land the fish? is it right when you hook a fish?( not knowing what it is right away ) ?  is it half way through the fight??  I'd like to see what your opinions are i had a guy give me a realy hard time because i handed it to a buddy half way through and it was his first time and he was scared.. and hes a right hander and mine was a lefty..

Thanks in advance guys.  Sorry bout the venting.

Tight Lines.

According to your email.  Here is the fish i snagged on the back that day. Hopefully you remember what i was wearing. I rest my case.  just had to prove to the gentleman.  I'm over it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:31:03 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: People Who Assume things on the River!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:23:19 PM »

nothing wrong with venting bud......its good for the blood pressure. very calming at the end of it as well. i've taken a few newbies myself who have never felt the the fight of a salmon and passed the rod to them to fight and bring in. nothing wrong with that and very unselfish as long as the buddies all have licenses. If a guy watches you fish properly and catch fish and then has the nerve to call you a snagger/flosser then that fellow doesn't know how to fish properly himself. I've never had a bad encounter on any rivers yet while float fishing. just ignore the dude. ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »

People are quick to judge others. Just because some fisherman are hammering fish after fish does not automatically mean they are snaggers. Stand back and observe for a minute. Are they ripping at the end of every cast ? Are they using long leaders ? Are they using barbed or treble hooks ? As to handing off your rod to your buddy, I don't think there are any specific rules when you must hand off as  long as your buddy has a valid licence with the appropriate tags.

minsyoo

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »

I completely agree with you on this matter.

People back in my country, (I'm asian too :) )

they are all used to grabbing a small net type of thing, a rod or two and just catching fish whenever they see water. when i first started fishing i was really pleasantly surprised to see how much work was being done to ensure pleasant experiences for all anglers, fish, and the environment. i think we just need to do our best to get the word out... it'll take a long long time but i believe that things will change.

for example, this past weekend my dad visisted from asia, he wanted to go fishing and of course he wanted to do things that aren't necessarily allowed here (and i don't blame him as no one should because he's just not aware) i simply took the time to explain to him the basic rules and the ethical way to fish and reason for it. he listened, understood, and we had a great time fishing.  :)

so if there is anybody reading this right now that are ruining it for me and steal_mo_head, please STOP!  :P... no.. seriously.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »

Even if they are long linning with a float or bottom bouncing since when is that illegal? Tell the guy to call dfo  and get them to " enfore" it
I get it is flossing but point is it's still legal and until it's not ur harrasing someone who is fishing legal

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

Gee, My fishing buddy and I are asian and we've never had that problem.  Maybe it may have been an isolated incident?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »

Why do you care so much what other people think? I have never concerned myself with what people think. If you know what your doing is ethical what difference does it make that Joe Blow thinks your a snagger?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

S_M_H,

Get used to it!  It sucks but you will never get away from being categorized as an Asian snagger.  I'm Asian and have being dealing with it for a long time.  Most of the guys I fish with are white but when guys see me coming, I'm already labeled a snagger cause I'm Asian.  I personally don't care what guys think cause I do it for my self enjoyment and not to prove to someone that I am different.  I know that how I fish is definitely correct and in NO WAY aimed at trying to snag fish.  Now saying that, it still is possible to snag fish accidentally.  Sad to say but I am racist to wards Asian fisherman that I don't know cause of what I've seen.  You could try to explain that their technique is neither legal nor ethical but more often then not, you words will fall on deaf ears.  This is a common occurrence so of course people will have that perception of Asians.

It's funny when you read posts of people saying that it's just educating new fishermen on what is right and wrong and they maybe right but when you see the same people doing the same thing year after year after other people have tried to explain to them proper techniques, you realize that they don't care.  It isn't just Asians, EVERYONE(European,N. American...) is doing it!  2 weeks ago I witnessed a guy(born and raised in the Wack) and his wife snagging pink after pink and dragging them up the sandy beach before kicking them back into the river. The same guy then tries to teach another guy who wasn't catching anything how to setup his rig so that he could hook fish as well, how sad is that!  As I was walking out I said to that guy to please careful releasing the fish and he tells me to go F$#@ myself.

You're not a lone if you feel that you are being perceived as a snagger just because your Asian but ask yourself why they would think you're a snagger.  Maybe it's the way you are presenting your drifts(always trying to set the hook), maybe the distance from float to weight is such that people can't help but think you are trying to snag fish or is it that you accidentally fouled hook numerous fish.  I see it all the time...guys that claim they aren't snagging but all evidence to the contrary. My only issue would be how one treats and respects the fish and surroundings.

I totally agree with you! The only thing is im the guy telling "asian" or what not to not let it drift too far.  I say 90-95% of this fish i catch are biting. of course you get the rare occasians of snaggin up even when you're not trying.  I spend a lot of time researching for the right bait.  How to cure your own roe.  Realized shrimp worked great for steall head! why not try it on coho's, jacks, and springs?  I spend a lot of time making my roe or shrimp to avoid a snag up.  I also can't stand older asian men who are fishing.  Guess i will have to deal with it.

I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »

I don't disagree that there is a stereotype out there of certain ethical groups being "snaggers".

That said, I'm as white as they come and have been told I'm snagging fish when I'm quite obviously short-floating bait well off the bottom.  Some people are just jealous.  So don't assume it's only an asian issue.

Secondly (and I'm not aiming this at you, S_m_h, because I don't know you and have never seen you fishing), some people THINK they are fishing "properly", but are actually snagging and not realizing it.  Then they get upset when being accused of snagging, because they think that using a float means you're fishing "ethically".

I'm with Bobo - if you know you're fishing properly, ignore them.  

Tex

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »

I also can't stand older asian men who are fishing. 

Why?  Because you are ASSUMING they are snagging?  The road goes both ways, S_M_H.  ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »

Guys, it's time some of you realized that most of the pre-spawning salmon caught in the rivers are lined, or flossed - intentionally or not.
If you think you are catching them because they consistently bite, you are simply deluding yourselves.
Yes, there is the occasional 'aggression strike' (especially with coho and spring jacks) that ends up with you hooking the fish INSIDE the mouth, but other than that, take a close look at the position of your hook every time you bring in the fish.
Is the point of the hook inside the mouth? If not, the fish is probably lined.

Even short-floating is conducive to snagging if you run your presentation through a thick school of fish. That's why I am done with the Vedder until some heavy rain blows the river and cleans it of pinks.

If you don't believe me, try fishing with circle hooks: then tell me how many fish you caught.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:42:07 PM by milo »

Scooterguy

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »

I never fish before I came to Canada. My co- worker (Caucasian) in Toronto took me out and showed me how to fish rod, reel....etc. He also let me felt the fish on and showed me how to fight with it ... He taught me about the law, license and opened/closed season.
I did not have a license at the time, I just wanted to experience it first. It was an awesome feeling and now I am hooked. I spent $$ on numerous of rods ,reels, licenses and even buy a boat. Now, I try to pass the same to my new friends. Hopefully, they sux into this game like me.

Fishing is a game of sport. There is a winner and loser at the end. If you don't play by the rule, you will be  tagged "snagger" or whatever...

I do not careless what other people think, I know that I played by the rule of fishing. SO beat it.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

I think the use of a spinning reel and rubber boots is better indicator of "snagger" status.  I guess you could say I am a bit prejudice, against spinning reels that is.

I did observe a Caucasian guy with a centrepin and a 4 foot leading slaying pinks this weekend...   wtf.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:02:46 PM by Matt »

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 04:03:01 PM »

Try being a teenager. I have lost count of how many people say you don't know what your doing or your just a kid or the best was "I am older then you so I know more" act ;) It can be hard at times but when you walk out with springs and coho while they walk out with boot pinks and chum you can hold your head high ;D just have to live with it and don't let it ruin your day :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

standalone

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »

Everybody knows BB is snag fish,snag fish is illegal.but BB is legal.I am so confused.