Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging pinks in the Vedder  (Read 26172 times)

jon5hill

Re: Snagging pinks in the Vedder
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »

the bottom bouncing crew was out again today on the lower vedder...pulling fish in sideways and backwards...the biggest eye rolling comes when they place the fish they just dragged up about 15 feet out of the water on a tee and kick field goals with them... >:(

Oh my god are you serious? That right there would have been the threshold of my tolerance. I'd enter raging bull mode and probably start by letting my fists do the talking. That's the most horrible thing I've heard of. Disgusting.

Froodogga

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

I was exaggerating a bit...i mean there was no actual "tee" but, there was definately "air time" and about two to three feet of elevation on most fish kicked back into the river... :-[

doja

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

I was exaggerating a bit...i mean there was no actual "tee" but, there was definately "air time" and about two to three feet of elevation on most fish kicked back into the river... :-[

Ya I've seen this before too. Usually older experienced people who are tired of bending down to gentle release the fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »

What I sent to FOC and others this evening.

While out on the Vedder River today I was again shocked by the methods many people were using to snag the pinks. Most were not even fishing by a method that would even see the fish biting. Many were hauling them up on the beach before releasing them or keeping them. I had also had to have a talk to 3 people who put down their fishing rods and were trying to catch pinks by their hands in a shallow side stream. If the resources are there the FOC officers will be kept very busy writing tickets. It is a very sad situation out there that certainly spoils the fishing experience these days.

Regards,

Chris

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »

Lately I've been fishing around #3 road and there are a bunch of snaggers there who have it down to a science. The way to do it is to snag a big chinook then walk it down river away from everyone else, then get your buddy to net it and remove the hook so that nobody can see that it was snagged.

Before today I've never seen so many pinks walking backwards across the water  ::) One fellow used a bit too much force and snapped his rod!  ;D

Froodogga

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »

Another technique I've seen is where a dude foul hooks a fish, takes it to where he thinks he is far enough so nobody can see, then takes the hook out of the tail fin and hooks it into the fish's mouth, then carries it back to where he initially caught it...I've seen "that move" about a dozen times in the last 5 years or so...

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »

Probably the best thing to do is let people know the best way to target the fish without snagging them. Then the snaggers look like losers who don't know how to catch fish.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »

--It would not take much money to have some posters placed at strategic places to demo the no snagging rule. after all DFO gets reg change posters put up and no fishing posters put up when the rule is not followed.
--This would help the people that truely do not know. there is little hope for those who choose to ignor the rule other than peer pressure of many fishers following the rules.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »

Majority of the people snagging knows the rules but choose to ignore them. The fact that they land their fish downstream away from other fishers would seem to confirm that.

scotkemp

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »

i am absolutely disgusted i was at the train bridge and i seen at least 50 people snag fish accidently or purposly and keep them. the guy beside me showed up 4 bottom bouncing casts 4 fish snagged and he kept all 4. and not to mention peoples kids were bashing fish with sticks in a small stream if you take offence to this well than!!!!! i will give you my address

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

no need to be soo irate...what did you do about it?did you call dfo? Being pro active is easier on the nerves and stress levels from my experience.

marbles

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »

i am absolutely disgusted i was at the train bridge and i seen at least 50 people snag fish accidently or purposly and keep them. the guy beside me showed up 4 bottom bouncing casts 4 fish snagged and he kept all 4. and not to mention peoples kids were bashing fish with sticks in a small stream if you take offence to this well than!!!!! i will give you my address
I agree with yopu theres lots of scum bags out there and thedfo know where they are,but do nothing

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

Has anybody even hooked any pinks lately that were worth keeping?  Why is it still open for them?  IMHO retention of pinks should have stopped as of Sept 30th.  I remember a time when coho and spring jacks were the only thing that you were allowed to keep on the Vedder.

Frankey

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

When will the carnage finaly end?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »

When will the carnage finaly end?
I thought in a week but I saw some fresh ones taken today but the numbers are decreasing by the look of the morgue along the beaches. Maybe the smell will decrease the people out there too. :-\