Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging pinks in the Vedder  (Read 26127 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Snagging pinks in the Vedder
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

Thanks Hue Nut ;D just a little humor!! As much as I want to speak my mind I will take the mature approach and keep my yap closed. I'm going to go and grow up now Gaffer.

yeah haha no prob, a buddy and I stopped at kwb today on our way back and let me tell you I have seen some gong shows, but today surpassed them all. It was comic chaos, at one point, a guy on the east side hooks a fish...fish on!!! as he starts fighting the fish which was hooked in the tail, guy on the west side hooks a fish and proceeds to fight his fish, actually hooked in the mouth!! they are now fighting each other because they both have hooked the same fish. Anyways it was quite funny but disgusting at the same time, so I gave the RAPP line a call ( foul hooked fish were being kept, and there was willful snagging going on). The way I see it is stay away from the snaggers if you can (hard to do), call it in if you see illegal activity, and don't carry it around with you and let it wreck your day, there will always be snaggers. ::)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

I recommend you go to the Interior, find a nice calm lake, and fly fish for rainbows. That way, you will avoid the Vedder show and not get an ulcer. In additiion, you will probably catch some fish and have a great day as a bonus. :D :D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Stu

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

I was just thinking, almost anyone has digital cameras\cell phones with camera.
Why not record it and post it lets say on youtube as a hall of shame? Especially making sure the faces are well recognizable.

Just a thought.  :-X
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

jon5hill

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »

All it takes is a great angler to convince snaggers that they are idiots. I watched this man once at the Vedder when I was like 12 years old, and to this day he defines what I think is an ethical and masterful angler. He was standing alongside about 30 other guys near the boundary by slesse, downstream from the hole that everyone gets up at 3AM to secure for the morning. He was casting across stream with this really old looking seldex centerpin and hooked fish at literally a 10 to 1 rate when compared to everyone else including all the snaggers. All of the fish hooked in the top of the mouth, or the side of the mouth. He was a very unassuming and quiet man in his 40's. People were emphatic that the spot he was in was some honey hole. He was very courteous, and when someone tried to get into his spot he'd simply give them the spot and walk somewhere else, where he would be just as successful anyway. I watched about 4 or 5 guys walk up to him, put their rods down and just watch. It was art the way he was mending the line, and making minor adjustments to his rig. He released every single fish he caught, and when he was done, he quietly filled a garbage bag with trash and left. He was like Indiana Jones amongst a bunch of chimpanzees playing with their own poopoo.

mattyo

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 06:14:24 AM »

Lead by example! While fishing the vedder yesterday I saw a father and son casting away. They werent catching or snagging many fish.my buddy and I were floating some roe catching the odd pink. This other guy comes up and suggests that they were not fishing deep enough. The father and son than adjusted their floats to be dragging the weight off the bottom. Wouldn't you know it every cast, fish on:(. I know what I'm going to see when I go to the Vedder so this was no suprise. It just kills me though to see young kids be taught these terrible techniques and ethics. ::)

jimmywits

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »

All it takes is a great angler to convince snaggers that they are idiots. I watched this man once at the Vedder when I was like 12 years old, and to this day he defines what I think is an ethical and masterful angler. He was standing alongside about 30 other guys near the boundary by slesse, downstream from the hole that everyone gets up at 3AM to secure for the morning. He was casting across stream with this really old looking seldex centerpin and hooked fish at literally a 10 to 1 rate when compared to everyone else including all the snaggers. All of the fish hooked in the top of the mouth, or the side of the mouth. He was a very unassuming and quiet man in his 40's. People were emphatic that the spot he was in was some honey hole. He was very courteous, and when someone tried to get into his spot he'd simply give them the spot and walk somewhere else, where he would be just as successful anyway. I watched about 4 or 5 guys walk up to him, put their rods down and just watch. It was art the way he was mending the line, and making minor adjustments to his rig. He released every single fish he caught, and when he was done, he quietly filled a garbage bag with trash and left. He was like Indiana Jones amongst a bunch of chimpanzees playing with their own poopoo.

Thanks for a great story and a good laugh, that,s a classic!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 09:37:39 AM »

--I don't like to see things come to this but what about a limited entry permit tag like is used in some hunting areas.

--It is a large number tag pinned on with a number visible to all others.
--With the number ID you simply have to observe record report.

--I use barbless circle hooks, however even these can be used for "flossing" if not rigged and fished properly.

--And yah fly fishers aren't more ethical, any rookie will know in short order a barbless hook is just less painful to remove from your hat.

SMo007

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »

That is a great story. As a new fisherman, it's what I aspire to be, and hopefully what I'm teaching to my little girl.

tumbleweed

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, it's a great story.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

"...what about a limited entry permit tag like is used in some hunting areas.
--It is a large number tag pinned on with a number visible to all others.
--With the number ID you simply have to observe record report."

This idea can have some traction. The entry tag would mention a "total number of fish caught in a season" and a fillable table by various categories; every fish kept is recorded; once you have reached the maximum you cannot keep fish anymore for the season. This can be a practical way to keep the pressure down for all types of (non)ethical fishermen out there. Easier to explain and enforce. Just an opinion...

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »

there will always be snaggers and unfortunately most of the places that snaggers fish, there is no "bite", the fish are totally molested and will not bite, so it can be very hard to show people another way and how successful you can be short floating.

jon5hill

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »

I fished the Vedder this morning at first light, non stop all the way until 5pm. \

There were no visible coho or springs except one dead jack spring on the shore and the usual 900 million pinks. I may have got a bite on my first cast with my fly rod, but after that all the way until 4PM no fish were biting. I threw roe (my first cure, not so well done but the spider wire saved me), blades, spoons, and flies at them (the pinks) and none would bite. I foul hooked quite a few trying to figure out the best way to avoid them. I foul hooked them with my fly rod too as I was using intermediate sinking line. I finally got it solved though. Put the fly rod away and went to the bait tosser - adjust your float so that it's half a foot from your pencil lead. 1 foot leader to whatever you are presenting and voila - no snagging. When they started to bite at 4pm, I managed 8 hookups in a row all in the mouth. I finally started to feel like an angler after that and kept one rather silver looking female.  I saw one other guy short-floating amongst about 20 other guys. The remaining 19 guys were all flat-floats, dragging and snagging. To the uninformed observer, it is all the same, but it makes a world of difference among us.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »

fished first light today, guy comes in across the river from me, no float, big friggn weight, first cast pink in the back, second cast pink in the tail. ::)  Next thing I know...kerplunk!! he's dredging the water that I showed up at first light for, to short float some biting fish! I yell over to him that I don't want him bouncing the water that I am floating because, I am actually trying to get the fish to bite, as I am talking my float drains, fish on! I proceed to hook 20 plus fish over the next two hours and land 12, fishing 8 feet of water about 4 feet from float to roe bag. The snagger switches to a float when the sunlight comes out, all in all he hooked about 8 fish, could not keep even one of them because they were all fouled.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »

--I know I'm not a snagger when....just spent 3 days at little shuswap near chase. not one bite. not the kind of pressure you coastal guys are used to but no one at the boat launch had caught a fish in a couple of days..just to stop the laughter about our fishing abilities, several had caught fish on sunday but not bites since. The fish seem to turn on and off.
--one plus for tackle manufacturers when not getting bites start using everything in the box to try and figure something out.

Froodogga

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »

the bottom bouncing crew was out again today on the lower vedder...pulling fish in sideways and backwards...the biggest eye rolling comes when they place the fish they just dragged up about 15 feet out of the water on a tee and kick field goals with them... >:(