Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging pinks in the Vedder  (Read 26102 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Snagging pinks in the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

That is correct.

Stu

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 10:58:45 PM »

Thank you Rodney for clarifying it, I just assumed that I have to use single barbless hooks everywhere.
I just will continue using barbless hooks anyways, much easier on fish if I want to release it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »

I just don't understand this snagging business  ??? ??? ???

- If there is that many fish that you can actually snag them couldn't you just fish for them in a legal way?
- How can they pull it out by snagging in the body? If I hock a fish in the mouth it is hard to make it stay there, many get unhocked. Wouldn't the hock rip out of the flesh easyer than out of their mouth?

Perhaps it's a case of economics. Lot cheaper buying a bunch of treble hooks and pencil lead. No need for floats, leaders, bait, lures etc.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 11:37:37 PM »

snaggers make me sick.....

coho killer

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 11:54:35 PM »

should have seen tamahi today...

hookme

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 01:05:25 AM »

I was in the canal this morning, near the bridge the same scene  fishermen on the island Snaggers on the other side. I don't know What got in to me? but I just decide to cross the bridge try to talk to one of the guys, rather than Yale " You are Snaging !!!!! You should return the fish !!!!!! " Well we all know what will happened if we said that is either they will give you the LOOK or the FINGER or they will just ignore you and talk by them self on there native language. ??? This guy that I approached a little bit Agitated when he saw me I introduce my self that once I use your technic before, and I told him  there is more better way than just more than a meter leader  and 4 to 5 feet gap from weight to float I show him the rope then...Fish ON! in the mouth  the guy was so proud of him self he was showing it to his freinds. But one guy  BUT IN "Yeah I know that technic ..I don't have the Time and Patience to do that  >:(that's my cue to get out there. It just come to show the guy that I talk to was the Newbie guys and the other one is the MASTER OF SNAGGERS >:(

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:08:48 AM by hookme »

marbles

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 06:32:27 AM »

Its not just the vedder they have been''flossing'' for weeks at peg leg,its the most weasley way to fish I have ever seen,me and a friend fished for 8 hours and although hooked plenty of pinks we didnt keep we had 3 keepers,this guy rolls up beside us and in 1.5 hours has 3...slimy

mattyo

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »

I'm off to the Vedder today!!! I'm bringing my can of bear spray(for the bears of course) a copy or two of the regs and a few buddies. Gonna educate some of these yahoos myself. :o ;D ;D

Davis

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »

I read all the complaining and peed off people here on this thread,do what i do,STOP FISHING THE VEDDER.I live a few mins from the flow and gave up Salmon season on the Vedder a long time ago in disgust.I will not witness the brutal carnage and lack of ethics,gong show.It sickens me so I don't go ,as simple as that.End of story.

tumbleweed

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »

we were at the Peg Leg yesterday and there was snaggers everywhere. We were using spoons and  catching them all day and it was alot of fun. The guys beside us where snagging them in the hump, it makes me sick. They did pull alot more fish than us but I don't get it. I go fishing to feel them fight and the challenge of catching them. This is my first year salmon fishing and I am still learning but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to now that what they are doing is wrong and they are going to wreck it for all of us.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:22:41 AM by tumbleweed »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »

it sickens me too, watching people snag fish like that. what ever happened to the "skill" involved in fishing

fisherwithrod

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »

Personally, I would like to see a couple more actions taken place beside the ones mentioned above. I'd like to see information boards set up at main access points. I'd like to see an information sheet with background info on regulations, ethics and etiquettes developed and copies available at tacklestores. Perhaps the money can come from local organizations that we should be supporting, such as the Fraser Valley Salmon Society or the BC Federation of Driftfishers. We can keep talking about the problem but if we don't develop solutions and prevents, the talk would simply become whines.

Very well said. Education must accompany enforcement in my opinion, and we can't leave everything to the government to do.

Gaffer

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »

I'm off to the Vedder today!!! I'm bringing my can of bear spray(for the bears of course) a copy or two of the regs and a few buddies. Gonna educate some of these yahoos myself. :o ;D ;D
So you and "a few of your buddies" are "gonna educate some YAHOOS"? look in the mirror Pal ! Bear Spray ? over a FISH !!??  What's next ? Saturday Night white sheet and pillow cases party?  Grow up for C**** sake! Your collars on too tight

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »

So you and "a few of your buddies" are "gonna educate some YAHOOS"? look in the mirror Pal ! Bear Spray ? over a FISH !!??  What's next ? Saturday Night white sheet and pillow cases party?  Grow up for C**** sake! Your collars on too tight

you must be a snagger!!! haha just kidding.  I think that he may have been joking

mattyo

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

Thanks Hue Nut ;D just a little humor!! As much as I want to speak my mind I will take the mature approach and keep my yap closed. I'm going to go and grow up now Gaffer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:19:00 PM by mattyo »