Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging pinks in the Vedder  (Read 26057 times)

chironomidking

Snagging pinks in the Vedder
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »

When did this become an acceptable practice?  The pool at the Vedder Rd bridge yesterday evening had over a dozen snaggers (would'nt dare call them fishermen).  Floats, lots of weight and bare hooks (maybe a little wool to make them feel good).  Casting upsteam into pink schools and jerking the gear through.  Pinks coming in with hooks in bellies, tails, fins and backs.  Didn't see a single one caught.  Jackasses.

koko

Re: Snagging pinks in the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »

I have hear about people complant about snagger, BB'R,  how about  be a nice guy to educated people what to do.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »

They know what they are doing and the only education they need is to learn how to sign their names on the tickets that they get.

chironomidking the next time you see things like this phone the RAPP line.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

Today was my first trip back to the Vedder since september 1st and the number of people now out since then is crazy. Lots of pinks everywhere and like you said lots of people running there 5 feet of weight through 2-3 feet of water. Once they snag a fish, there reefing on it hard to bring it in, only to drag it up on the rocks and decide wheather its a keeper. Just sick.

Im not going to bash on it anymore as we all know whats going on, and we all know if were doing it. Sites like FWR help to educate others on these fishing issues, but I do believe tackle stores could do more to educate as well, or have some sort of fishing boards along the river to address the issues.

Lack of respect for the fish is the reason I do not participate as much as Id like in this great fall salmon fishery.
The Bigger The Better!

koko

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

They know what they are doing and the only education they need is to learn how to sign their names on the tickets that they get.

chironomidking the next time you see things like this phone the RAPP line.
You are right, it is human nature to take a easy way out, only way to go is a hard lessson.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »

We go through this same discussion every year, but I guess there is a need for it because the problem will not go away by simply ignoring it.

The Chilliwack/Vedder River is heavily fished between September and December for a few reasons. Its distance from Vancouver, its easy bank access, its high productivity due to the hatchery. These features attract many newcomers each year as they get into fishing in BC. They find out about it through tacklestores, websites, their friends and family.

Regulations are readily available, but when it comes to angling ethics and etiquettes, they are not written in stones and vary from angler to angler, depending on one's skill level.

Unless properly guided by experienced anglers, most of us have gone through the same learning path. You show up at the river for the first time, are overwhelmed by the amount of fish that you are seeing and want to catch some fish quickly by following those who are apparently successful around you. If lucky, you find an experienced angler who knows what to do properly and is willing to share his techniques. If not, you find the ones who repetitively catching and releasing fish on almost every cast. Little do you know that most of the fish are foul hooked because the angler is allowing the hook to dredge along the bottom and hooks onto whatever gets in the way. One can call it selective fishing, by constantly "catching" and releasing unwanted fish and keeping the ones that are randomly intercepted among the unwanted fish.

The present problem is a mixture of inexperienced new anglers who are not fully informed and experienced anglers who are well aware of their action. The solution is not immediate and simple. Both education and enforcement are required. Education can be done through websites such as this (I have started the Chilliwack River fall salmon fishing thread for this season) and as BigFisher mentioned, through tacklestores. Individual anglers can also help by doing several things, such as helping others who appears to need help. It may seem like a small step, but collectively all can make a difference.

Personally, I would like to see a couple more actions taken place beside the ones mentioned above. I'd like to see information boards set up at main access points. I'd like to see an information sheet with background info on regulations, ethics and etiquettes developed and copies available at tacklestores. Perhaps the money can come from local organizations that we should be supporting, such as the Fraser Valley Salmon Society or the BC Federation of Driftfishers. We can keep talking about the problem but if we don't develop solutions and prevents, the talk would simply become whines.

Stu

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »

I just don't understand this snagging business  ??? ??? ???

- If there is that many fish that you can actually snag them couldn't you just fish for them in a legal way?
- How can they pull it out by snagging in the body? If I hock a fish in the mouth it is hard to make it stay there, many get unhocked. Wouldn't the hock rip out of the flesh easyer than out of their mouth?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

People are lazy, why present the lure or bait and entice a bite when you can just grip and rip?Its every where and now a days you have to be careful to many nut jobs out there.You can call RAPP but DFO rarely shows :-\So what do you do?

Stu your keyboard has a malfunction:)

Stu

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »

Stu your keyboard has a malfunction:)

You are right It is my keyboard, why didn't I noticed that earlier  :o

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »

I just don't understand this snagging business  ??? ??? ???

- If there is that many fish that you can actually snag them couldn't you just fish for them in a legal way?
- How can they pull it out by snagging in the body? If I hock a fish in the mouth it is hard to make it stay there, many get unhocked. Wouldn't the hock rip out of the flesh easyer than out of their mouth?

lots of fish does not mean that they are all biting fish. Today I could not get a freaking bite, the water was black with fish, day before I landed over 16 fish, but today there were no takers. An asian fellow across from me was having similar luck, I ended up tangling up with him and reeled his line in, what I found was a large, barbed treble hook :o I cut his main line and called the RAPP line. There were no CO's in the area but he said they would send someone down. Anyways it does not hurt to just give them a call and report what you see.

Stu

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »

lots of fish does not mean that they are all biting fish. Today I could not get a freaking bite, the water was black with fish, day before I landed over 16 fish, but today there were no takers. An asian fellow across from me was having similar luck, I ended up tangling up with him and reeled his line in, what I found was a large, barbed treble hook :o I cut his main line and called the RAPP line. There were no CO's in the area but he said they would send someone down. Anyways it does not hurt to just give them a call and report what you see.

That is one other thing I don't understand, The fish stores are fully stocked with treble hooks, and lures with treble hooks. If I understand correctly There is a single barbless hook required in every stream in BC, so why sell them in the 1st place?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »

That is one other thing I don't understand, The fish stores are fully stocked with treble hooks, and lures with treble hooks. If I understand correctly There is a single barbless hook required in every stream in BC, so why sell them in the 1st place?

Because treble barbed hooks, single barbed hooks, are permitted at some lakes and seas. It is up to anglers to know and follow the regulations that are in effect at the water where they fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »

Like Rodney said this happens every year. Why is anyone surprised? I ignore it. I take the Vedder for what it is. An urban hatchery enhanced system. I go fishing to enjoy myself not to get into confrontations or get angered. Its not my job to reprimand everyone I see that is fishing unethically.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 10:41:48 PM »

Like Rodney said this happens every year. Why is anyone surprised? I ignore it. I take the Vedder for what it is. An urban hatchery enhanced system. I go fishing to enjoy myself not to get into confrontations or get angered. Its not my job to reprimand everyone I see that is fishing unethically.

good point BB, I simply cut this guys line and called the violations line. The snagging is so rampant that it you focus on it, your day will be ruined, better to just do your thing and report what you feel is worthy.

Stu

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

Because treble barbed hooks, single barbed hooks, are permitted at some lakes and seas. It is up to anglers to know and follow the regulations that are in effect at the water where they fish.

This is a bit confusing to me atm.
This is from the BC freshwater synopsis:

Use barbed hooks or a hook with more
than one point in any river, stream, creek
or slough in B.C. (Note: the use of barbed
hooks in lakes is permitted, unless noted in
the Regional Water-Specific Tables)

According to this, if a lake is not specifically marked as a single barbless hook, I can use treble barbed hooks if i chose so?