Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: poacher alert:(  (Read 5391 times)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
poacher alert:(
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »

Fishing this am at the vedder when this guy arrives I reconize him from Friday as all he did that day was snag!Well guess what he's doing it again this time he snags a chum and tries to tell me it's in the mouth and clearly it wasnt, welll he hands the rods to some guy who drags it up on the shore and whacks it.Well the guy fishing beside me goes over and tell's it was wrong and what a piece of crap he was,went in one ear and out the other:)By this time I have had enough and pack up but dont leave as I want to watch this guy, as im standing there telling him that he does not have to snag.His answer?You got  it 85 % are in the mouth so thats not snagging!!!!!!! ???Of course i say it depends on which end you consider the mouth ;DBy this time the other guy has called DFO so we stand up high and watch him  he hooks a fish and looks over his shoulder to see if were still there and when he see's us he lets the fish go.After 1/2 we leave but after getting out of the waders the guy from the other of the river is coming up .So on the way out I stop and spoke with and he said as soon as we left he bonked the fisrt fish he snagged :oSo i called DFO again on my way home.

So if anyone see's this guy out just call him in!Grey sweatshirt and ballcap but the dead giveaway is,He wears a sturgeon fighting belt so he is easy to spot!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:26:25 PM by Rantalot »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: poacher alert:(
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

He wears a mangina HAHAHAHA thats hilarious. Now that folks is a true BEEK!! Snagger that wears a mangina. That is awesome. I would love to have seen this guy fighting a fish with that thing on. I probably would have rolled on the ground laughing hysterically.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »

He wears a mangina HAHAHAHA thats hilarious. Now that folks is a true BEEK!! Snagger that wears a mangina. That is awesome. I would love to have seen this guy fighting a fish with that thing on. I probably would have rolled on the ground laughing hysterically.
Well, you need one of those if you are going to pull a fish in side on against the current ::)

I was out yesterday and this guy came up next to me seemingly very knowleagable as he appeared to have a very good technique for using a bait caster.  I am admittedly pretty bad with those reels so I had something to learn from him there and could tell he was an old hand at least with the casting. (I foul the line in them regularly but I am improving slowly)

Next came the surprise.  I accidentally hooked a chum in the pectoral fin which sucked but I did manage to get it in and released it quickly.  He then informed me that it was not foul hooked because it was hooked near the head region - the logic being that it must have gone for my jig if I hooked it in the head region.  It may be true that the fish went for the presentation and turned away at the last minute thereby hooking itself but I knew that couldn't be right  Please correct me if I am wrong but I checked the regs  just to verify and, according to that, anything not in the mouth is considered a foul hooking and the fish must be released immediately).

...the confusion about snagging continues.

Anyway, I said nothing and carried on while he proceeded to instruct everyone else on how to fish  - much to their irritation I noticed.  It seems there are so many seeding bad info out there it is sadly very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff sometimes.   Its also very baffling to me that (apparently) experienced fishermen come out with stuff like this.  I have been out three times this season and I have had bad advice like this on two occasions already.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:26:16 PM by fishseeker »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »

If the hook isn't in the mouth, you're supposed to let it go.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

fishman1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »

The family I ran into today on the Chilliwack did not even bother with a hook, line or even a rod for that matter.  They just had their son run around in the shallows with a large landing net scooping up the pinks which were then bonked and placed in a garbage bag for the ride home!!!!!!!    :o  I did have words with the family who quickly instructed the boy to get out of the water.  I was and still am totally disgusted by that sight.  I don't think the young boy knows any better but the adults should.  DFO was called but no answer so I had to leave a message.  Still have not heard back.  Where's a fisheries officer when you need one!

Put a sour note on what was a pleasant day.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »

i saw him yesterday,nice fighting belt  ::) he uses like 80lb line and bottom snags everything...you can tell when he snags one as he takes it to the tail out and whacks them.....his his buddies are just as bad, mexican or phillippino looking guys, the one snagged up with my all the time cuz he was bouncing... surprise surprise barbed 5/0.... pretended not to speak english when i told him to pinch it
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »

Take a photo and post it up.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »

I didnt have my camera today or i would have video taped him!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »

The best one we saw this weekend was a guy would drag his foul hooked pink up on shore and if it was a male he would give it the boot back in, but if it was a female he would check to see if it still had eggs by sqeezing the belly. If it did not have eggs he would boot it back and if it had eggs he would bonk it. We yelled at him a few times but we where to far away and across the river to give him the boot into the river.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

Maybe it was his big bag of roe i found stashed in the high grass?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:27 AM »

Hmmm....
Does this guy have 2 kids with him? The ones I saw today spoke in a different language (different than any one I've ever heard).
Was with my friend today catching some beauty springs when they walked in.
Their rig consitisted of a weight on the bottom of the mainline, a hook 4 inches up from that which was a bare 3/0+ barbed hook.
They see me hook and lose a spring, next thing I know they are within 2 feet of me (couldn't even cast) casting out, letting it bounce 3 times and pulling.
They proceeded to walk a spring down to the tailout and bonk it which at that point I started talking very loudly with my friend about calling DFO.
They kept shooting me dirty looks, especially while I video taped them for 3 mins walking and landing a spring down in the tailout trying to hide the fact it was snagged.
They proceeded to KICK it back in after leaving it high and dry on the bank for about 2 mins.
After the video the other "kid" in the party lands a pink, drags it 6 feet up the beach and leaves it there. I walked over and tried to revive it but no good.

These people piss me off royally. I have a few pics and vids to send into DFO right now.
Also the 3 guys at the train bridge keeping fish on a string ALIVE, and more than their limit ALIVE on the string. I informed all 3 this was illegal and that they would be fined quite largly for it. 2 guys listened and dispatched fish right away while one shrugged me off, so I took a vid of that too.
The train bridge down is a complete joke and if DFO was there for an hour they would have an extra 30 vehicles and a heck of alot of money.

Frankey

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:50 AM »

I wonder if its the great #s of Pinks ,Chums and Springs returning.It sure paints our sport in a very bad light.I'm betting FNs are disgusted with the type of sportfishing going on in our local rivers right now.It needs to be closed to retention once again this would go along way to keeping the bad apples away and bring the sport back into sportfishing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:31:42 AM by Rodney »