Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHEHALIS RIVER GRAVEL PIT COMMING SOON ON THE UPPER RIVER-DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!  (Read 23598 times)

Addicted To Steel

My friend Dean and I were on the Chehalis river this afternoon, and we ran in to a fellow who told us that him and a group of guys are intending on putting one or more gravel pits in the upper Chehalis canyon somewhere between 4 mile and possibly all the way up to Statlu creek.

He said that his friend bought the mineral rights to that area, and they have already been doing sampling of the area for gravel extraction.

He said that they already had a fisheries biologist with them last week to go over the area and ideas. He said it will be a large operation with settling ponds, buffer zones, etc..

Apparently they will be barging the gravel out through the Harrison by the Highway bridge!!!????

I didn't get the biologists last name, but he said his first name was Jim. I think I am familiar with who the Biologist is but I won't post any info If I am not sure.

Apparently they have also already been in contact with the Chehalis Native Reserve to discuss having Natives employed in the operation.
He said the Natives have tentatively agreed with the proposals as long as they ensure to use at least 30 to 40% native man power in the operation.

He also said they are discussing the idea of these same Gravel workers to re direct the water back to the hatchery side. I got the impression that this  is part of the deal so that the Natives get a lock on the employment opportunities of the proposed gravel extraction operation.

I don't know about any of you guys, but this is the first I have heard of it, and I am in contact with the Hatchery workers, and some Gov. people at times.???

Unless this guy ( First name is Tom.) is jumping the gun, then I believe we have a lot to worry about!!!!!!!!

I said to him that the settling ponds have had no affect on fixing the silt problem on the Coquitlam river, and he said to me that that was because they put them in after the pit was in operation for quite some time, and it was too late to fix the problem. That did not make sense to me.

I asked him what the forcasted start time was for this. He said it should be under way in the next 5 years.

If anyone has some info on this please post it.

I will be contacting some people about this tomorrow, and I will post the info I find out.

If this is in fact in the works I will be contacting some people and organizations for help in fighting this gravel extraction operation, including the press. I can not see how this is going to be beneficial to our fish, wildlife and environment.

Looking forward to your comments and concerns.

ATS

Sterling C

• Old Timer

If what you are saying is true then this is really bad news. The Chehalis has already had its fair share of problems over the last few years, we definitly do not need this. Although frankley, there seems to be some holes in the plans described. I have fished nearly the enitre area that you have described and with the excpetion of two area's that I can think of the entire canyon in boxed in by bedrock and I can hardly see where they would find any sort of gravel depostis large enough to extract. Perhaps they are planning on blasting the bed rock and then grinding it down? Also, when you say that they were planning on barging out the gravel did they mean they were going to truck it down to the Harrison and then barge it down the fraser or did they mean that they were planning on barging it down the Chehalis? As for the fisheries biologist, I have a feeling I may know who you're talking about.
Actions speak louder than words.

Addicted To Steel

Hi  there Biffchan. The guy said the plan is to take gravel from the areas along the logging road up the canyon. He said that in some areas the gravel deposits are meters and meters deep. You are right, the canyon is full of bed rock right in the river, so they won't be doing it right at the river, but that still means they will be close enough to it to have a major impact on the river. (in my opinion).

And yes, their plan is to truck it down to the Harrison bridge where it will be barged out.

Hopefully I can find more out today, and post that info tonight.

It's odd to me that when there was a proposal to gravel mine the Pitt River, it was publicized and a lot of groups lobbied against it, but for some reason this proposal about the Chehalis has gone undetected and not publicized ( if it is true.)

ATS.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?

Does not surprise me, the operation on the Coquitlam is close to running out of hill to mine, that's why they wanted the Upper Pitt. They didn't get the Upper Pitt so it only makes sence that they would surface somewhere else. It's a matter of find a new site or go out of bus, and as for envionmental studies don't by their BULL. It's all about money and they will tell anyone whatever to get started, then it's all yesterdays news with all fines writen off as a cost of doing business.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Addicted To Steel

Hi guys. Here's an update on some info I have gathered relating to this;

I spoke with the Freshwater Fisheries Society today. I asked if they knew of this. They told me they did not, but that they were concerned and that they would also do some investigating on their own. They gave me a lead as to whom the Biologist may be involved with this. They told me it was probably a private consulting firm.

I then called the Chehalis fish hatchery. Larry (the manager) was not available, but I spoke with Dana and asked him if he knew of this project. He said he did not, but he was also very concerned. He told me he would get Larry to contact me tomorrow.

I then called the Provincial Branch of Fisheries and spoke with Jim Roberts the fisheries Biologist. I asked him if he knew of this and if he did, could he offer any info on it.
Jim was very helpful. He said that the DFO had just recently contacted Jim's office to ask if they had any environmental concerns in regards to gravel extraction of this area (the upper Chehalis). He said that the Environment of Minerals and Mining (whatever their called now, the name keeps changing) contacted the DFO about this gravel extraction idea recently to ask the same question, so they (the DFO) in turn contacted the Provincial branch with the same questions.
I asked Jim for the contact info for the DFO personnel involved with this referral about the gravel project from the Environment of Minerals and Mining. He obliged with no hesitation. Jim also gave me a lead as to whom the Biologist consulting firm may be. He gave me the same name as the Freshwater Fisheries Society gave me.

I will be doing more follow up tomorrow. I will be trying to contact the DFO, the Environment of Minerals and Mining, the consulting firm, and others.

I will post info as I gather it.

So far this looks like it is definitely real and under way. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!

The plan to extract gravel from the upper Pitt River was fought and won by concerned groups and individuals. If we voice our concerns and get the right people involved to fight this we can win too. Our voices are just as important as those who want this to go through.

ATS.

CohoOn!

Keep up the good work on this and I will help in any way possible to insure this is not going to affect mine and many others favourite river.
Cheers!
Glen
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Addicted To Steel

Thanks Glen, ( CohoOn ). That is great to hear! I'll keep you posted.

Addicted To Steel

Back to the top please.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

Thanx for the heads up and the research so far.We don't need this kind of threat to such a magnificent river.Maybe the Fraser Valley Regional District has some say in the issue of a gravel extraction permit? or has some info on plans?
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Addicted To Steel

Yes Spoonman, you're absolutely right. There are too many of these beautiful river systems with dams, gravel pits, logging, construction, and other environmental hazards on them. Why let this happen to another one? I have started the ball rolling now, but there is much more work to be done. Hopefully by the end of this week I will make some positive progress, and gain some helpful info.

If anyone knows some good groups or organizations who would be helpful with the fight please don't hesitate to post the useful info.
I will be contacting the Sportsfishing Defense alliance, Salmon, and Steelhead groups, the media, and others, but I'm sure there are lots of others as well.

Sandy

• Old Timer

you can check with the ministry of mines, ministries of enviroment provincial  and fisheries federal has to approve of any removal of alluviam.I had not heard of any permits to extract. will see what I can find out. note there is a fair bit of bedrock up from the bridge canyon area but little above that mostly clay and gravel beds
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer

might want to mention the Salish Sucker a species at risk according to the DFO. not a game fish but it's a species peculiar to the chehalis and tributries.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

ATS, thank you for your ongoing effort of seeking the facts of this issue, and I hope you will able to obtain them and let us know. I will relay your concern to the Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee, which will certainly seek for further answers before taking the next step. In the meantime, it would be wise for all to wait for all the facts are being presented before taking any action. :) Some representatives of the SFAC have also been meeting with the Chehalis First Nations at the ongoing Fraser Valley dialogue sessions, so it will be brought up at these meetings if needed.

Such a threat can put an end to a fishery that we often enjoy and take for granted. To ensure that the habitat, the fish and the fishery remained unharmed, it is a good idea for anglers to join a group that is represented at the SFAC meetings. It is an efficient way to make your concerns heard. One group that people wish to join is the Fraser Valley Salmon Society. Contact either Chris or Buckeye on the forum about becoming a member.

Sandy

• Old Timer

good point Rodney,
 has anyone heard of a permit to extract being issued?
there are usually studies that now have to be done before those operations are allowed, unless it is grandfathered to a previous operation ie: logging road building/ maintinance .

Addicted To Steel

Thank you Sandy and Rodney. I should be hearing back from DFO, and ENV. of Mines hopefully tomorrow. (Wednesday), as well as some other contacts.

I do not know if the permit to extract has been issued, but they definitely have the mineral rights so far( whatever that entitles them to- I'm not sure yet ). I will post the info as I get it.

ATS.