Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHEHALIS RIVER GRAVEL PIT COMMING SOON ON THE UPPER RIVER-DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!  (Read 23594 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Nicole, email sent, you should see it in the morning.

Addicted To Steel

Wow, the ball is rolling, rolling, rolling......

Chris, you are definitely right about a lobby group. I am not exactly sure what that entails, but perhaps we could meet, and you could give me some info and advice on that. It sounds like you have a lot of valueable wisdom to offer.
I will send you a PM with my contact info if this sounds good to you.

I'm sure my wife will be very pleased that I have spread myself very thin again. :) Oh well, it's worth it if we win this battle.

Nicole, I sent you an email.

Addicted To Steel

Hello everybody. I would like to let everyone know that I will be at the Vedder River Clean Up tomorrow morning at 9AM at the Blue Heron. If there are people interested in the fight against the Chehalis River gravel extraction proposal, please come and meet to discuss this with me.
I need all the help I can get with ideas, facts, contacts, etc.. Hopefully we can get a start on forming a lobby group.

Perhaps after the clean up we can stick around for a little while to share ideas and swap contact info.

I have spoke with Chris Gadsen this morning, and he told me that we are welcome to use a room at the Blue Heron to meet at after the clean up.

My name is Paul, and you can find out what I look like from my gallery photo's if it will help you locate me at the clean up.

I just hope our poker tournament will not go on too long tonight or I'll be in rough shape for the morning. :P ;D I'll be there either way.

Thanks,

Paul
ATS.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Good to speak to you on the phone this am ATS. Excellent research work you and others have done on this proposed gravel pit, which could be another attack on another one of our precious rivers.

I hope a few concerned anglers will be able to turn out tomorrow to give support to all the leg work you have given to this issue. Even if people that would like to get involved and cannot make the cleanup if they came around 12 to the GBHNR they could have a meeting then as the cleanup should be wrapped up by then.

As Sandy stated in one of his posts it is very important to make sure all the information that is gathered is factual right off the start before going to the press etc.

It might be in order to PM ATS or post here if you are interested in getting involved and are able to attend the planned get together tomorrow.

Thanks ATS for bringing this to our attention.

Addicted To Steel

Thank you very much Rodney, and Chris.

The contact info you have given me has been of great help. I have been speaking with a member of the board of directors from the SFAC and the SFDA.

I have also in turn been given more contacts from that person.

I will also hopefully be attending a meeting between the Chehalis Native Band and the SFAC in February.

And also a special thank you to Sandy who managed to get the copy of the Gold companies letter to it's shareholders regarding this proposal.
A few of us were having trouble finding it in the companies records, and news releases.

Take care all,

ATS

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I have taken the liberty to send the Mosquito Consolationed Gold Mine Ltd. news release to a couple of my contacts at the FVRD and FOC as I see iin it these agencies appear to express support for the developement of the property.

Have also sent it to some other anglers for their interest.

Sandy

• Old Timer

thanks chris,
has any of the other sites posted anything ? I posted a link on FBC to this site.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

thanks chris,
has any of the other sites posted anything ? I posted a link on FBC to this site.
Yes I see it on Shore Talk on Fish BC, only 120 views.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Yes ADS and Sandy, I saw it on fish bc as well!!  Also very surprised that there has been so few views at it!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sandy

• Old Timer

pretty dissapointed with the response on FBC,I guess it's not to much of a concern to most of them.
Sorry,was looking forward to meeting you all today,but was on a callout lastnight untill 6.00
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Prettyfly

• I have a website..

This organization is based in Ontario but maybe they can be supportive some how.
Canadian Sportfishing Industry Association
http://www.csia.ca/
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Addicted To Steel

Hello everybody! What a great day at the Vedder River Clean up! I have not been to this clean up before, but I have to say that I will be attending all the future ones if possible.
I was fortunate to be teamed up with Tom ( Allwaysfishin ). In only a 400 yard area of the river we managed to collect a truck load of garbage. It is truly amazing how much garbage is out there. I always pick up garbage when I am out fishing (my vest is usually full by the end of the day) but I did not realize how much was really out there until I saw all of these vehicles full of garbage collected from the river!!
It was really good to hang out with Tom. We have a lot in common and have fished and hunted in a lot of the same areas of BC. Cheers Tom!! Tom took a couple of pictures of the garbage collected, hopefully he can post them later.

Congratulations to everybody that was involved with the organizing, and collecting! Not to mention the doughnuts and coffee. ;D

It's hard to believe that they do that three or four times a year and always collect that much garbage. Wow.

Thanks everyone!! :)

Besides having a great experience with the cleanup and meeting great people, I also had the chance to talk with some people who will be helping with the petition against the gravel pit proposal on the Chehalis/Statlu rivers.

After the clean up I sat with Rodney, Chris, Frank(SFAC), David(FVRD), Gwyn, and Tom(alwaysfishin) to discuss this petition. We swapped contact info, shared ideas, and expressed our concerns about this gravel pit proposal.

I gained a lot from my experience today and contacts I made.

The fight is on, and I will continue gathering information, and making allies over the next week. Durring the cleanup I received a call from Ed Mankelow, the Chairman of Mining Sub Community of the BCWF. After the clean up I called him back, and he expressed his deepest concerns. I sent him all of the information, and he told me he would contact me after looking it over, and doing some investigating. He also gave me some very valuable contacts.

I also asked Ed if he was involved with the Upper Pitt River Gravel Extraction Application and he said yes. I asked him if he would be able to dig up the files and archives. He said he would which is great because hopefully there is some valuable information there that we can use to help support our fight.

I also forwarded the shareholders letter to Bill Otway who had not seen it yet although he had received a link to this forum thread. I also spoke with Bill on the phone and asked him for his support.

Hopefully this week will bring more information, and more contacts, as I have plans to talk again with the DFO, Min of Energy and Mines, the BCWF, and others.

I am also planning to try and get a statement from the consulting firm.

Thanks to all who have helped and supported this petition.

ATS

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

ATS there was also some new interest on the fishbc site this morning you might want to check out!!  There are a couple people there that are quite concerned as well. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A real pleasure to meet you ATS and I salute you for all the work you have done on this file to date.

I am sure you will be able to count on a number from this forum to work and support the opposition to this proposal of a gravel minning operation that would threaten another of our Lower Mainland rivers.

You met some good contacts today at the cleanup as well that will help pick up the torch to make sure this operation does not get off the ground.

Thanks as well to you for attending and helping with the cleanup.