Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CHEHALIS RIVER GRAVEL PIT COMMING SOON ON THE UPPER RIVER-DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN!  (Read 23470 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

Surface mining, will remove vegetation which prevents erosion large amount of sand, soil, pables, rocks will all be exposed.  Gravel will need to be washed, and a settling pond need to be created. All these during high rain will get washed into Chehalis. Why do you think it will not effect the river?  The general area around Statlu is still well within Chehalis River Watershed.

Veritas

I smell a rat  :o

fishman

interesting comments.

1.   The gravel is moving into the river right now. Therefore anything to stop it will be worthwhile.  But maybe as part of the conditions of permit other identified problem areas could also be identified and resolved, thereby improving the overall basin. 

2.   of course they won’t be allowed to remove gravel from tributary streams, its all the surface runoff thats accurring as we speak, you see hundreds of them all along the upper road just count the number of culverts that cross the road.

Surface mining, will remove vegetation which prevents erosion large amount of sand, soil, pables, rocks will all be exposed.  Gravel will need to be washed, and a settling pond need to be created. All these during high rain will get washed into Chehalis. Why do you think it will not effect the river?  The general area around Statlu is still well within Chehalis River Watershed

Too late its already happened, I would think that as part of the granting of any right to mine there would have to be engineering designs done that would hand all flood and rain conditions to stop any of the material being worked, exposed. Moved etc from entering the river system. This will most likely be handled in the full environmental impact study including all engineering designs and studies. I’d think they’d design for the 200 year and even 1,000 year flood events, thereby preventing any runoff going to the river.  I understand that was the problem over on the Coquitlam river, where there was no engineering design. If there wasnt a proper design within the plan teh I wouldnt support it either!!

I smell a rat

ah back to name calling again i see!!

Veritas

Have I insulted you before?  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I've locked this thread as it seems the discussion is starting to go towards a place that is rather unpleasant.

An issue has many sides, ALL those who participate in the discussion of an ongoing issue should listen, digest and respect others' point of views even if you do not agree with them.

ATS has done some fine research as noted in this thread, and I'm sure he'll present his findings at the next Fraser Valley Fisheries Dialogue between the sportfishing group and First Nations very well. It will be the first time when all parties will express their views on this project. I'm sure many are looking forward to what come out of these face-to-face discussions.

:)