Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fishy Truth  (Read 6519 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: The Fishy Truth
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 01:56:40 PM »

Offenders? ::)

Instead of whining about a lack of valuable content, why not contribute some valuable content? Is this valuable content that readers wish to read about?

Do we really want to have a lengthy discussion on who's lying on the internet and who's not? Do you always believe stories some stranger tells you on the river or do you just brush them off and continue with your happy life without analyzing it deeply?

Geez, at 120 posts per day, DS and I should really get a life instead of sifting through all this BS, what a waste of time.

Hey, I know, why don't we have a discussion on the classification of a flossed and ethically hooked fish based on the hook position posterior of the gill plate. ;)

I see the whining season has begun. ::)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 02:23:16 PM »

Geez, at 120 posts per day, DS and I should really get a life instead of sifting through all this BS, what a waste of time.

Hey, I know, why don't we have a discussion on the classification of a flossed and ethically hooked fish based on the hook position posterior of the gill plate. ;)

I see the whining season has begun. ::)

OK you - back to your Danish hibernation  ::)   ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »

Sorry rod but my post was intended to touch on the age old habit of stretching the truth about our outings on the flow and what people think about it ,i did not mention anything about who is or isn't lying on the internet ,that was not  my point,maybe i should have made my post a little clearer to understand on what i was trying to say,does general discussion not mean  general discussion relating to most things related to fishing if not maybe we should talk about golf or something,lol.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 03:13:24 PM »

searun, my response was not directed at your intention of this post, but more to the sudden burst of complaints that Gooey has towards some of the members on the forum.

OK you - back to your Danish hibernation  ::)   ;D

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now... :-[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »

Sorry, I'll go back to sleep now... :-[

Better... And while you're at it....lose the freaky crane!  I feel like I'm being watched  :o

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:46 PM »

#1 Rod, my apologies, I reread what I posted and I could see how you thought I was bitchin about the site.  I find there are a core group here that are inteligent and  thoughtful and convey information in a helpful manner.  There are also a group here that are worse than useless, they DETRACT from the postive features of this site.

Case in point, lets review a couple of recent posts by someoe who shall remain nameless:
"o yes i know what it could be it might be similar to my sly cooper tmx cheeseir ,,"
"zip zap zooom zim zam sly tie fly"

you say: "Geez, at 120 posts per day, DS and I should really get a life instead of sifting through all this BS, what a waste of time."
Its because of nit wits like the author of the quotes above that I made my initial statements.  Nothing against the site or its content in general.  

If figure if a guy is bored enuff to write "zip zap zooom zim zam sly tie fly" he might as well grab a playboy and entertain himself  instead of posting nonsense on this site (as an administrator I thought you would understand that position).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 03:29:40 PM by Gooey »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »

I don't think the author of those quotes would even know what to do with a playboy.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 04:27:28 PM »

Must be cabin fever. Time to go fishing.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »

Better yet, Are you going to be here tomorrow? Oh you are not?? great tomorrow will be a good day..  ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 06:26:54 AM »

Gooey, apologies are unnecessary, I wasn't offended by thinking that you are suggesting the quality of the site content. My main point in the previous post was the state of the discussion forum is formed by the users, not the moderators. If you and other more experienced and knowledgable anglers think that some participants are shifting the forum to something that's not up to your standard, do you:

Continue to contribute useful information when requested?
Leave the discussion forum to find another place where your opinion is more appreciated?
Stop participating but openly suggest that other members are not worth your time and effort?

The individuals who you are talking about are all 15 y.o. or younger. Teenagers will always be teenagers, remarks like those are expected at that age. I remind them once awhile that their participation on the forum is only granted if they act responsibly. What are your suggestions to solve this problem? I certainly don't want to ban kids because of the way they are. This forum primarily caters novice anglers and people who want to get into fishing, repetition of "stupid questions and ideas" will continue to emerge. I think more experienced readers and posters on the forum will do fine here with some tolerance, patience and selective reading. Usually I skim through the posts by these kids in a thread, if it drags on for too many pages, we'll lock it or delete useless posts.

Anyways, you and other long-time members are encouraged to participate often and welcome to send me ideas on how the forum should be run. Cheers.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 08:03:14 AM »

rod, I don't think its dumb questions or ideas thats bogging down some threads...its the banter back and forth that seems to be less and less fishing oriented (and often just plain silly).. 

You and others may have noted I havent been that active on the board in the last 3-4 months, I would be sad to say that the usefulness of this board has come to an end for me but for what I get out of it now, it seems to be too much work.  Maybe once more post from guys like  CG and yourself (when is the last time you posted a report?!?) etc start coming back then I will find the board more beneficial for me.

Do I have any suggestions for what I personally see as the problem?  My first comment is to you: as the owner of this site does the non-fishing related banter and nonsensical posting choking out threads bother you?  Am I the only one or are other long time users dropping off too and if thats the case is this an issue for you?

I dont think banning anyone is a good solution altho a certain level of decorum is required and people have been banned before for various infractions (verbal attacks, foul language, etc).  So maybe the code of conduct for this site's users needs to evolve somehow. 

I made a comment a while back that lots of the post here now are things that I think fishing buddies could carry on about over the phone or they could email/pm each other.  Maybe with the level of non-fishing banter and interactions between site users, maybe its a good time to try and get a chat schedule going (move the guys having a chat/BS session off the threads and into the chat room).

I don't know if you think thats a dumb idea or not  ;)  but I think it could help.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 12:07:54 PM »

Thanks Gooey. The last time I wrote a report was back in late October. ::) I was quite sick for a good portion of November, and now I am stuck in windy Denmark. ;D Hopefully I'll have new write-ups when I catch fish. ;)

The non-fishing related banter is a concern, but I am not pulling my hair out yet. This time of the year is always like that, we've had it worse here. People are fishing less, but still want to participate, which results in what we are witnessing right now. I don't intend to make up new code of conducts as I like to believe we are able to moderate ourselves and no the limit. Chatroom section is being reviewed right now. The current chat program has too many pop-ups, so I don't intend to use that too much. We'll have a chat section up and running soon.

If the NFR content becomes out of control, then we may need a seperate board to cater that demand, kind of like what FishBC has (shoretalk), but I prefer not to go that way and keep our boards as fishing related as possible.

There are still many worthy threads that should interest the more experienced participants to get involved in right now, for example:

Interior Fraser River Coho Salmon, Proposed Listing on SARA

Farmed Salmon now BC's top Agri Export

HELP NEEDED FROM THE SPORTFISHING COMMUNITY ****PLEASE

Census of marine life

Vintage Centerpins

Letters to DFO Minister Regan re: Lower Fraser gravel removal

Why is it bad for wild and hatchery to interbreed ? Umm same species...

post away... ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »

I'd have to agree with Gooey. As much as I like to poast whoare around here, I don't 'usually' litter the board with utter nonesense posts. It sure would be nice to see some more well written and thoughtful post around here. Of course pictures are always worth a thousand words. I know that when I get back out onto the river you can expect some good reports from my camp (assuming the fishing is decent).
Actions speak louder than words.