Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vintage Centerpins  (Read 6345 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Vintage Centerpins
« on: December 13, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »

Anyone know any good centerpins from 1950-1980 range. Looking to buy another setup for smaller streams. I just sold my paintball gun so i got a little cash. Also the price on vintage on these can only go up..so it is like an investment. Anyone have any for sale or know of any?
weeeeeeeeeow!

WestEast

Re: Vintage Centerpins
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »

Lots avaliable on eBay. Do a search on keywords like centerpin, centrepin in Sporting Goods > fishing category. Most originate from the UK, the most common being models from Grice&Young, J.W.Young, Allcocks. Shipping is a pain. Can take 5 days, or 25 days. I'm still waiting for a Trudex bought 15Nov. Probably lost in the mail, so have to get refund from seller. Sellers I've dealt with are very professional - make sure there's lots of feedback, and it's all good. Most of the UK sellers are actually vintage rod & reel dealers with a real store, so very trustworthy. Occasionally, you'll get a Canadian-based seller. No cheaper in shipping, but at least it may be a little more reliable without the ocean crossing. You'll also see the occasional BC centrepin - like Islander, Milner, IMW. Good luck. Hopefully, we do not bid against each other....  ::)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:07:22 PM »

I hate ebay they never did crap when i got ripped of just staled. :'(
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:42:09 PM »

hahaah ebay is awsome.....thanks for the info.
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
weeeeeeeeeow!

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:22 PM »

i just bought a j.w.young trudex ll (4 inches) for small stream..will try it out in this coming weekend ;)

true brit

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:04:48 PM »

hi all,rugby tackle are very good,trudex not particularly good for trotting,best value centrepins are,called LEEDS by lewtham products,these have ball bearings and are superb.always check brit reels have handles as many don,t. also check out aussie reels.alvey LINCOLN are carbon composite,ball bearings,a guy puts one a month on ebay (new)in reels vintage,these are superb.if you let me have details of what you need i.e.line strength,trotting etc.size of fish ,i can maybe give some suggestions.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »

I never understood centerpin in spins freely both ways? what do you do to slow down a running fish?
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 08:09:52 PM »

Why do you think they call them knucklebusters?
Actions speak louder than words.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »

Why do you think they call them knucklebusters?
I dont know they call em knucklebusters lol but thanks for telling me. I dont get it just seems like alot of work to land a fish, when there are so many good baitcasting reels out there, with drag and all the shabang. Centerpins cost alot too whats with that nothing under 200 bucks. :o
[

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »

Isn't centerpin harder to throw spoons with and blades? if so you pay more to put yourself at a disadvantage on the flow ???
[

winter steel

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »

You definately do experience the fight of the fish more and they have other advantages as well. You definately need more casting room if you swing it and thus you don't have to worry about combat fishing unless the fisheman beside you wants a hook in the head ; ;D Although they do overspool and are not ideal for chucking spoons/blades (I have done it successfully), I find the rats nest way more mangageable and they are practically indestructable, require low maintenance and make for a nice memorable gift to give to a son or daughter (father's reel) when they pick up the sport. They do take some getting use to, but once you get the hang of them it is a nice way to fish. The only major draw back is their pick up ratio which is only 1:1 and thus for those who want to maximize drifts/line in the water it does impact efficiency. I personally go out to relax, enjoy the scenary and hopefully get a tug or two. I have a seldex and an islander and have no complaints, however if I had a choice go bearings over bushings. Finally, with regards to baitcasters, I've been on the river with bug pumper and witnessed his calcutta jam up sight fishing for chrome summer springs (he didn't even get the first cast off) and so I was the lucky one to watch the fish inhale my bait. Tight lines and enjoy your pin.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »

not neccesarily ronald, i've succesfully spoon fished and barfished slow water with my pin.
a few more things:
-you don't need room if you can wallace cast(this takes time and lots of practice)
-the retrieve ratio, although slower than a level wind isn't THAT bad, a 1:1 ratio on a spool with twice or three times the diameter(you can do the math :P)
sorry pin head whats a wallace cast?

http://www.anglersinternational.com/casting.htm

winter steel

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 10:53:25 PM »

Pin head as much as I love my pins, my experience when fishing the two has been they simply do not retrieve as fast as a 5:1 ratio (or more) baitcaster, math or no math (I teach History and English) ;D. People fish a pin for various reasons yet they ultimately lead to a great experience which is what matters, great link by the way to the centre pin casting sight.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:55:04 PM by winter steel »