Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interior Fraser River Coho Salmon, Proposed Listing on SARA  (Read 5665 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Interior Fraser River Coho Salmon, Proposed Listing on SARA
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/newsrel/2005/sara_e.htm

Government of Canada Proposes Adding Three Aquatic Species to the Species at Risk Act

november 28, 2005

OTTAWA, November 28, 2005?The Government of Canada today announced proposed recommendations to add three aquatic species to the list of species protected under the Species at Risk Act (SARA).

The three aquatic species proposed for addition to SARA include the Scotian Shelf population of the Northern bottlenose whale (endangered), the channel darter (threatened) and Interior Fraser River coho salmon (endangered).

The Government of Canada is also proposing recommendations that three populations of Atlantic cod (Newfoundland & Labrador, Laurentian North and Maritimes) not be added to the list of species protected under SARA.

These species are part of a larger group of 12 aquatic species that underwent an extended period of consultation for possible addition to SARA. During this time, Canadians were consulted for their input and to better understand the potential social and economic impacts of listing these species under SARA.

The recommendations for these species will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part 1, on December 10, 2005. Canadians will have 30 days to provide further comments or concerns. A final decision on adding this set of species to SARA will be made by Cabinet by April 2006.

The Government of Canada remains committed to the conservation and recovery of cod. Over 10 years ago, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) implemented strong measures throughout Atlantic Canada and Quebec to conserve Atlantic cod, including a ban on fishing Northern cod and other cod fisheries showing few signs of recovery; severely restricted cod fisheries on recovering stocks; limited bycatch of cod in other fisheries; and the closure of most recreational cod fisheries.

DFO has also begun implementing the recently-completed rebuilding strategies by the cod action teams by allocating $1.2 million over the next two years to cod-related projects. Made up of federal, provincial and fishing industry partners, the cod action teams have worked closely together for the last two years to complete the rebuilding strategies which provide a comprehensive, Atlantic-wide approach to managing cod. New scientific research will focus on the impact of bycatch on cod, inshore and offshore migration patterns of Northern cod, and the impacts of fishing area closures on reducing bycatch of Northern cod. Listing Atlantic cod under SARA would have high social and economic impacts on many Canadians in coastal communities. Listing cod could cost fishers and processors up to $82 million a year in gross revenue.

The government is also recommending that six species assessments be returned to the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) for further information or consideration: Atlantic cod (Arctic population), cusk, bocaccio, harbour porpoise (NW Atlantic population), Lake Winnipeg physa, and shortjaw cisco.

Returning these species assessments will give COSEWIC the opportunity to incorporate Aboriginal Traditional Knowledge where needed, ensure the best available data is incorporated in the assessment and that populations of species are clearly defined.

The Government of Canada activities under SARA to protect and conserve wildlife are part of Project Green, a set of policies and programs aimed at supporting a sustainable environment, healthy population and competitive economy.

More information regarding the Species at Risk Act is available on the SARA Public Registry at www.sararegistry.gc.ca.

Information on the Habitat Stewardship Program for species at risk, and on Canada Strategy for the Protection of Species at Risk, can be found at www.speciesatrisk.gc.ca.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Interior Fraser River Coho Salmon, Proposed Listing on SARA
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:12:48 PM »

I wonder how DFO is proposing to protect the interior coho run when they don't have the guts to shut down the native food fishery when these runs are moving through the Fraser ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:14:08 PM »

A scary situation but it was just a matter of time that all the illegally fishing and the use of too much of the Interior river's water for irrigation purposes that have taken the toll on these coho stocks. :'(

I know before others say it, they are not the only reasons.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 05:47:26 PM »

It is going to be interesting as look what they did/did not do for the Cultus Sockeye!

It will come down to $, always does.

We the fisherman will pay. Remember the last time they were a concern?
There was NO fishing for coho where they swam.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:57:26 PM »

I have heard  that there has been an official request for an "Emergency Listing" for Sakinaw and Cultus.
This will really make it interesting.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:05:17 PM »

I have heard  that there has been an official request for an "Emergency Listing" for Sakinaw and Cultus.
This will really make it interesting.
I was told by a Fishery Technician while at a meeting last week that 400 Cultus Lake have been counted at the fence this year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 12:30:36 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/051210-1.html

Please be advised that Interior Fraser River Coho salmon have been proposed for listing under the Species At Risk Act (SARA) and will be added to the Canada Gazette on December 10, 2005.

If the Interior Fraser Coho are listed under SARA, these fish stocks will be legally protected and a recovery plan will be invoked.

There is a 30-day period following publication in the Canada Gazette for receiving comments and concerns regarding the proposed listing.

Your comments and concerns on this matter are vital to the consultation process and to future regulations and are requested within the 30-day period following December 10.

Please view the Government of Canada's Consultation Web-site to provide your response:   
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/consultation-e.html

Comments may be received through this web-site following the December 10 Canada Gazette listing.

Please note that background information on the SARA legislation and current listings is available on the DFO Pacific Region internet website at www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 06:49:34 AM by Rodney »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 03:19:47 PM »

Appendix 1: Three species proposed for listing on Schedule 1, List of Wildlife Species at Risk, to the Species at Risk Act

Taxon Species
Endangered    
[Fish Coho Salmon, Interior Fraser population
Mammals Northern Bottlenose Whale, Scotian Shelf population 

Threatened   
Fish Channel Darter 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 04:43:09 AM »

Information (background, listing process public consultation, contact) of this proposed listing can now be found on this page of Canada Gazette.

I highly recommend readers to take a look at the above link and provide your questions and concerns as the listing of this species will have a noticeable impact on the regulations that control the fisheries you currently enjoy.

It is the best interest of the sportfishing community to put conservation as our top priority, but decisions should be made by taking social and economic changes into account. Do you enjoy the Fraser River pink salmon fishery in September during odd years? Will ocean fishing for salmon, which may possibly intercept interior coho salmon, be limited? During the period when juvenile interior coho salmon smolts are ocean-bound, are we prepared to have the cutthroat fishery and other types of fishing (ie. kids catching sculpins with bait, etc) closed? How significant is the impact by the sportfishery on interior coho salmon compared to habitat degradation due to development and pollution? Is the Department of Fisheries and Oceans prepared to limit the fall seine net fisheries of pink and chum salmon by Lower Fraser First Nations as they also have an impact on interior coho salmon that are returning at the same time? Is the Department of Fisheries and Oceans prepared to spend more funding on permanent positions in fishery enforcement to protect this endangered species?

It's a species with a huge range, so there are many factors need to be considered, and many questions need to be asked. If the above questions may change the way you are allowed to fish, ask now. You have 30 days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »

25 days left in this consultation period and it doesn't seem like there is a strong voice of concerns. So I guess:

• People are sending their comments in and don't feel like discussing it further as they have full understanding of the situation,
  • or people are concerned, but are too busy to read through the documentation and provide feedbacks,
  • or people don't care.

So... What if I mention that the upcoming changes may possibly affect your sockeye fishery opening? ;) ::)

Yesterday I sent in my thoughts on this consultation period. I feel that it is absolutely rediculous to have a 30-day consultation right in the middle of a holiday season and an election.

Through all the email bouncing back and forth between reps etc, someone had mentioned that this listing is a "threat" to the sportfishing sector. I do not think it is a threat, but adjustments are needed within our sector so we are all working together to ensure the survival of the interior coho salmon.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 12:53:01 PM »

I wonder sometimes if people really do not understand the ramifications.

I really believe that the subject becomes to complicated and it is easier to just forget it.
That is what happens to people who try and read the regulations for fishing and finally throw up their hands as they are to complicated.

It is a fact that only 3-5% of the people really get involved in the debates and fight for your rights.
So, even if you have not got the time or inclination to fight, it is really important that you join a group ( ANY GROUP) to help them fight for you.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 12:03:57 AM »

Bill Otway, on behalf of the Sportfishing Defence Alliance, has written a letter to the Minister of FOC regarding this:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/051215.doc

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »

"25 days left in this consultation period and it doesn't seem like there is a strong voice of concerns. So I guess:"

Letter sent to SARA. More people should do the same. They will close down alot of fisheries on bad science, and poor enforcement leaves the stocks wide open to poaching for cash puposes.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?