Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fishy Truth  (Read 6521 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
The Fishy Truth
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »

Seeing that we are all fishermen here we are all familiar with all the fishing stories and reports of our days and catches in our outings,as history has proven time again that there is nothing better than telling of our success or failure on the flow and the  interest it garners from other fisherman,do you ever wonder just how many of those stories are actually just fabricated fish stories and not totally true,how many of us have done this , is it a habit to embellish our yarns or are we allways truthfull,not.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: The Fishy Truth
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »

Always truthful about my successes and failures - that's why I don't have many successes to post about  ::)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »

Ya i allways try and tell my stories truthfully,oh by the way did i tell you about the 35 lb steely i caught on the vedder this weekend,Lol.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »

I also try to tell the truth in my posts as well! But there are times when my fishing buddies don't quite remember the same thing as I do!! ;D ;D  I find that it is always helpful to keep a journal though, to refresh my memory about some days.  I find that pictures help, as I know that a lot of people won't believe anything you say if you don't have pics!!  Also some of my buddies in particular did not believe some of the stories until I showed them the pics to back up the story!!. As for weights of fish, I guess that we all emblesh at times. ::)  That is what fishing stories are for!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:11:29 PM »

i like "Based on real events that may or may not have actually happened".  My fishing stories are true (to the best of my imaginative recollection).

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:12:33 PM »

i like "Based on real events that may or may not have actually happened".  My fishing stories are true (to the best of my imaginative recollection).
;D ;D ;) ;D
Funny thing, this thread has been up for 10 hrs, Only a few are posting in it!! ::)  I wonder what that is telling us!!!  Maybe there are some guilty consciences out there!! ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:37:56 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:29:01 PM »

Ya i think your right BS as of 11:27pm theres over 100 views and only 5 replies or maybe the post just bores them,lol.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:11:21 AM »

My buddy was at the ranger this past week end and some guy comes up and just starts blabbing that he and his buddy were having a great day.  Not that my friend didnt care, he was just enjoying a quiet morning and this guy started sqwacking away. 

Coho this, steelhead that....when my bud heard of a steelhead his friend hooked that morning, that interested him so he asked them about it...turned out the guys fishing partner had a fish take the float down, felt a head shake or two and a run, then it popped off!  From what this guy was saying they didnt even see it yet he's running around saying they hooked a steelhead!

I think a lot of guys BS....its like some people just have to say something even if there is nothing to say (so they make it up).  In fact the amount of useless/nonsensical postings on just about every thread here are becoming a detractant for me  :-[

I think its time we all helped to clean things up here.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »

HAHAHAHA   BIG STEEL = BS

;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 10:23:44 AM »

There are very few peoples reports that I believe to be accurate without pictures.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 11:03:44 AM »

I would not have the time to bother to write a fiction story.(Well on second thought, maybe on Sports Chat talking about the Leafs  ;D ;D ;D)

Seriously, if I think I am going to write a lenghtly fishing story here I sometimes make notes through out the fishing day to aid in the writing of the journal.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 11:34:53 AM by chris gadsden »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »

There are some members who I would bet my life on...they are in the minority here. 

Ever fish the cable pool for coho after they release the smolts, your bait doesnt last 30 seconds.  This site is like a prime piece of steelhead water that you can't fish properly because of all the little bait bandits ruining your drift...here too, there are just too many little peckers.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 12:27:04 PM »

Interesting way of putting it Gooey  ;D ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 12:41:53 PM »

ya Gooey you are right there are some people who tend to stretch the truth a little but thats as old as fishing itself wether we like it or not,as for your buddy at the ranger run on the weekend was the day he was there on Saturday? if so your buddies story is not quite accurate because it sounds quite similar to the encounter  me and my partner had on Saturday with a lone fellow at the ranger,we arrived at the run and tried to have some friendly dialog with him regarding the days fishing ,we told him about the steelhead we had hooked and lost earlier in the day, the fish in question was a steelhead because  we were able to have a good enough look at it to tell what it was, i think maybe your buddy probably wasn't really listen to our so called squawking or maybe he just isn't telling you an accurate  report of the story,we noticed the fellow wasn't to interested in talking much so the conversation ended and the fellow soon left,for me i enjoy talking to other fisherman while on the the flow about the days fishing unfortunately some of the conversations i hear are not allways filled with truthfull content but thats ok its harmless and there is nothing wrong with a little friendly squawking among st fishermen.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 12:58:26 PM »

I believe there is often a golden grain of truth in just about anything.  Sometimes I am just not willing to sift thru the BS to find that one grain. 

The biggest problem I see here is that a lot of the posts ad volume but have no value in terms of content.  It gets tiering looking thru page after page of internet drivel. 

There are a few key offenders here and when looking for that grain or little golden nugget in a thread, their posts are nothing more than a ton of dirt dumped on top of it.

BTW Searun, I was wrong, the person who conveyed that story was out last weekend not this last one.  None of my buddies fished this weekend.