Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack river oct11  (Read 9186 times)

Gillie

Re: Chilliwack river oct11
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 11:45:03 PM »

Always keep safety in mind first. I cannot stress this enough. I was in the upper river Saturday below the Tamahi bridge and a guy had tailed a spring. I was undoing a little birds nest and looked up to my suprise here was this fellow. I know there was nobody fishing near me at all. I said ooh you tailed a spring he said yah. I was about to move out of his way and he fell flat on his face! I could plainly see he was freaked out I told him to stand up! He just sat there, shocked, for a sec. I then said louder Stand Up!! and stepped towards him, as it looked like his waders where about start to fill. He managed to stand, and got his composure. I asked if he was ok, he said yeah, and was tired of chasing the spring for about 1/2 mile down the river. I mentioned again that he had tailed it and should just snap it off. He then said oh he didn't know it was snagged, but he caught his breath, I moved out of his way, he was able to bring it in, and gently release it. No fish is worth drowning over alway pick out a suitable spot to fish and land the fish as well. Most importantly, Know Your Limits.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 11:56:10 PM »

Fully agree with gillie. that is the reason i did not follow the fish.. I was near the tahimi bridge also. ive seen people fall and lose their rods.. which sucks even more

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 01:41:52 AM »

How many anglers out there fishing in river would wear an inflatable life vest?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 02:11:06 AM »

Not me. I would rather be very carefull and take my chances.
[

FishGuts

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 05:33:35 AM »

Thats the secret to landing big springs on 10lb test, holding the rod sideways on the downstream side forces the fish to constantly turn its head, the more it fights to turn its head back into the current the quicker it tires  ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 07:58:15 AM »

Keep in mind to that a fish you cant controll is often foul hooked.  Please dont freak out and take that as me accusing you of snagging...just making a simple generalization that a fish that goes bezerk is often foul hooked and a .

My dad, bug pumper and I fished a cliff section of whites 2 weeks ago.  We had 30 feet of bank to use and below that the river turned into a fast chute.  I landed a 15lb spring on 8lb leader and my dads 30 lber was landed on 8lb leader too!  If you had 20 lb leader break, I would question the quality of the mono or as Big Steel pointed out, maybe its your knots?

I was reading an article in a fly mag and it said a 80 lb sailfish weighs 10lb under water and the author was suggesting lighter line and patience is all you need to boat a big fish.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 08:06:10 AM »

I was fishing across peach yesterday and I noticed this guy with a young kid of about 5 or 6. He was fishing on a steep enbankment and the kid was standing next to the river playing. One mistake, the kid would be in the water and going down rapid water. I was tempted to scream across the river to warn him about the danger.

I had to look around myself to see if I can help just in case if he does fall in.

It is just amazing what people are willing to do for a couple of fish.

With the teacher's strike, we will see more kids out there fishing with their dads.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THE KIDS

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 09:57:26 AM »

Gooey. at the place I was at.. you would see people constintly breaking their hooks. with a 10 lb leader YOU WOULD NOT be able to take these fish out..  and your concern about it being foul hooked.. it wasn't because it made a few jumps and we could see the hook in the mouth.. It was a big coho. and you generally try to let them run but this one got too far. and once it went far down stream.. the river turns and there's no way you can get it back unless it decides for some reason to run back at you, I will try holding my rod sideways next time.. thanks for the big tip. I would have probably gotten it out if I held my rod sideways :)

My dad actually told me to do that, but I've never had a fish peel so much of my line.. this is the freshest and largest coho I've ever had on for such a long period of time! I was kind of in panic :P by the way, this is the first coho I've ever hooked in the passed 1 and a half or so years!

Barely any, unless your rich, you see the price on those things!?!!?!? I'm already broke off waders and my rod!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:00:44 AM by Youngin »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »

Ahhhh...doesnt matter if you landed or lost those fish, you got to fish with your dad... :)    lucky kid!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 10:14:36 AM »

I wear a mustad camo life jacket depending on where I'm fishing.
Actions speak louder than words.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »

Ahhhh...doesnt matter if you landed or lost those fish, you got to fish with your dad... :)    lucky kid!

I always fish with my dad :)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 11:32:22 AM »

I need a son so I can take him fishin.....any one got one I could borrow.....as soon as they start compainin about something I wanna give em back though

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 11:42:39 AM »

I'll rent my self for 10 bucks an hour :D I can also tail and net fish!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 12:16:19 PM »

Good grief, stop the teachers strike already. ::)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »

I was fishing across peach yesterday and I noticed this guy with a young kid of about 5 or 6. He was fishing on a steep enbankment and the kid was standing next to the river playing. One mistake, the kid would be in the water and going down rapid water. I was tempted to scream across the river to warn him about the danger.

I had to look around myself to see if I can help just in case if he does fall in.

It is just amazing what people are willing to do for a couple of fish.

With the teacher's strike, we will see more kids out there fishing with their dads.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THE KIDS

I totally agree long weekend Sat went to Vedder with my parents. And kids want to go fishing. took them to Alice lake on Mon. Feel safer then bringing them to river bank.