Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack river oct11  (Read 9259 times)

Youngin

• Old Timer
Chilliwack river oct11
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:17:31 PM »

Well since the strike and all its nothing but partyin for me.. :) my dad had a day off today so we took off to go fishing.. got at the place around 3ish.. only to see some people took our spot :( well.. we go to our other spot just near there.. we fish for a few hours.. my dad hooks nothing, but me, that's a different story... my first fish was a spring.. about 25 pounds my guess.. i had it under control untill it just forced it's way into rushing water.. and you know what that means.. snap goes the line.. my second fish.. on for about 30 seconds then lost it.. then just about to pack up.. i casted in and walked down the river.. hey where's my float?? fish on! holy this one takes me upstream.. then downstream... I don't know what to do with it... I give it to my dad.. the fish jumps about 3 times, we now know its a big coho.... it just keeps peeling my line downstream into the rushing water... and same thing again.. snap goes the line.. sigh... next time.  I'm thinking of getting braided line for these beasts! fun day tho.. NO SCHOOL TOMORROW :)  ;D

by the way.. I used a 25 pound main line.. with a 20 pound leader.. so now you can imagine how hard that coho fought :/

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack river oct11
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

How do you break 20lb leader???? how old is it. monofiliment will deteriorate in UV light or sunlight. doesnt last much more than a year. I have a hard enough time breaking 10lb. And remember most bait casters can hold over 130yrds of line. that is 390ft. USE IT let the fish take line. there is no need to stop the fish RIGHT NOW.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »

Yeah, but at the spot I was at.. I wasn't willing to go in the water.. run down the rocks.. climb some more rocks run down more STEEP rocks.. haha trust me.. i had to force that fish back or else it would have been just pointless.. I would have gone with that fish if i could have. Safety FIRST! :P  and the leader was quite new.. and the coho was quite big.. probably 13-15 pounds ATLEAST..

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:27:43 PM »

Nice job on hooking the fish!!!! But braided line won't help you land the fish!!!!  If the fish broke your main line and not the leader, then you might want to watch how you tie your knots.  Even with braided line you have to use a leader that won't spook the fish!!!!  I use 15lb main line max.  and 8-10 lb leader depending on water clairity!!!!  This weekend I landed 3 massive spring on 8&10lb test leaders.  The biggest one was 40lb plus, that one was on an 8lb leader!!  I will post the pics of him tomorrow.  The other ones were on a 10lb leader.  Once I realized that I probably wasn't going to hit a coho I went up to 10lb test.  But I guess that it is all what you feel comfortable with.
Don't get me wrong, it is not easy to land fish that big with a light line leader.  You have to be in the right water, and have a lot of patience with the fish.  Getting lucky helps a lot as well!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:27:46 PM »

Yah how did you snap that 20 pound leader was your drag set on "NONE"?
[

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:40:40 PM »

One more negative to braided line is that it doesn't stretch.  This puts all the abuse on your rod and leader.  It's kind of nice to have a built in shock absorber with mono line.  P.S., I change my line out about 4 times/ year and never let my leader sit more than 1 year without buying new leader.  Line will loose at least 7% of its strength/ year according to Maxima.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:47:25 PM »

One more negative to braided line is that it doesn't stretch. 

On the positive side of the ledger, it allows for more effective hook sets. I love my Tuff XP

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »

IVE NEVER SNAPPED 20 LB LINE ON ANY SALMON :-[
crab cakes

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 10:20:07 PM »

thats because you have never caught a salmon.  using 20 pound line won't improve your chances either.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 10:22:39 PM »

I don't know. must be the way i fish :) also.. a possibility.. my weight might have gotten stuck between the rocks.. becuaes my weight was gone as well..

also, you guys probably missed the part where I could not move down stream..  i was in a small stretch then the river curved.. and i have to wade then go back to the rocks.. then hike UP the rocks with a rod and a fish on.. good luck with that.. the fish hit the rushing water I had nothing to do but try to HORSE it in. which as you see didn't work :) next time ill go on the other side of the river.. you can go downstream from there
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 10:25:12 PM by Youngin »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 10:34:44 PM »

When I choose a spot to fish, I often consider whether the location is ideal for landing a fish as well so I do not end up in a situation like what Youngin described above. The only time I was almost in that situation was when I fished with Chrome Mykiss in faster water last Thursday. I was into a medium size chinook salmon and although I was able to bring it to shore, it did put quite a bit of strain on my gear.

Generally my coho set up would be 12lb test main, 8lb test leader. For chinook, 15lb test main, 10 to 12lb test leader. For chum, 12lb test main, 8 or 10lb test leader (depending on current). For pink, 8lb test leader as well as it would produce just as many fish as 6lb test leader.

When you find yourself with a out-of-control chinook that is running like a train, hold your rod sideways instead of holding it straight up. By holding your rod to the side, or even having the tip in the water, you'll find that it is much easier to turn the fish and bring it to you. Chrome Mykiss taught me that. ;)

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 10:54:25 PM »

thanks.. il try that next time.. but yea.. the only reason we went there because it has an abundant load of fish! so we were like whatever we'll put on a tougher leader and tank it in.. didn't work :) and our normal spot.. which had space.. was taken :(

Yopesco

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 11:35:33 PM »

I've had 15 and 20 pounds leaders snaped quite a few times before by monster springs, and that was while being patien with the fish. I always assumed that it wasn't really snapping but just a result of the fish having a bunch of sharp teeth. Could that be a reason? (I've changed to another brand of leader anyway, it is Maxima now).

Yopesco

Gillie

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »

Always keep safety in mind first. I cannot stress this enough. I was in the upper river Saturday below the Tamahi bridge and a guy had tailed a spring. I was undoing a little birds nest and looked up to my suprise here was this fellow. I know there was nobody fishing near me at all. I said ooh you tailed a spring he said yah. I was about to move out of his way and he fell flat on his face! I could plainly see he was freaked out I told him to stand up! He just sat there, shocked, for a sec. I then said louder Stand Up!! and stepped towards him as it looked like his waders where about start to fill. He managed to stand and get his composure. I asked if he was ok, he said yeah, and was tired of chasing the spring about 1/2 mile down the river. I mentioned again that he had tailed it and should just snap it off. but he caught his breath and I moved out of his way, he was able to bring it in and gently release it. No fish is worth drowning over, always pick out a suitable spot to fish, and to land the fish as well. Most importantly, Know Your Limits.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:49:33 PM by Gillie »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 11:44:54 PM »

Dont see that everyday.
[