Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis???  (Read 14278 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Chehalis???
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:00:45 PM »

Was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the chehalis being rediverted through the hatchery????  I know that they were trying to redirect it last year, but the last I heard was that the natives wouldn't let the workers on there land to do this, thus stopping work on the situation. I guess that the natives liked the river going through their land!!! :o :o  Was just wondering because since the river changed flows I don't know what is going to happen to the coho population, are there going to be enough coho able to get back to the hatchery to sustain a run????  Are the natives now goig to net the chehalis as well???  Was there early last year, got into some damn fine fish, then two or three days later I went back and there wasn't a coho to be found, anywhere.  Just made me wonder a bit, was still early november and there were no cohos even seen let alone hitting.  Where did all the ho's go!!!! Is this what we are to expect????? I wouldn't be opposed to some of us fisherman going out there while the water is low and redirecting it ourselves.  Just means carrying alot of rocks about 40 feet!!!!!  Mind you that would take allot of fisherman!!!!! ;) ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

Hey Big Steel - I observed what you did last year also!  Had some geat days with coho.  Then later (when it should have been even better) - nothing!  By December - the easter seal was full of fish - but they were all coloured by then...

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 05:20:26 PM »

I wouldn't be opposed to some of us fisherman going out there while the water is low and redirecting it ourselves.  Just means carrying alot of rocks about 40 feet!!!!!  Mind you that would take allot of fisherman!!!!! ;) ;)

Then, unfortunately, you'd be nailed by DFO for affecting a salmon bearing waterway :(

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:22:11 PM »

Yes nature will take it's coarse, but how much time do you think the hatchery has before that coarse is taken.  Does anyone know the return numbers for last year at the hatchery? Are they notably different from previous years?  Just putting 2and 2 together and if there is any water at the hatchery( or a decent flow anyways) Stands to reason that not allot of coho made it to the hatchery.  Could be wrong though!!! Hope that I am!!!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 05:28:31 PM »

OK WELL  strike that idea then!!!! Thanks Dragonspeed, I didn't know that they would nail a person for that!!!! :( :(  I kinda thought that we would be helping!!!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:10:33 PM »

You really think the DFO is going to do anything if their were 100 people doing this? I doubt it. The Chehalis is in trouble and I have been fishing this system for 20 years and its going to be one of the worst years on record. Goverment needs to get some balls for once and just do something about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:56:21 PM »

You really think the DFO is going to do anything if their were 100 people doing this? I doubt it. The Chehalis is in trouble and I have been fishing this system for 20 years and its going to be one of the worst years on record. Goverment needs to get some balls for once and just do something about it.

I don't know if they would, but it can be pretty expensive to find out:

http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/release/p-releas/2001/nr079_e.htm

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »

I Guess that guy didn't know streams and rivers are colour coded. You can only build to within 5m of a red coded stream.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 11:18:01 AM »

I don't know if they would, but it can be pretty expensive to find out:

http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/release/p-releas/2001/nr079_e.htm

$2,000 is some pretty good coin I guess but not as much as driving into a river and totalling a vehicle hey  ;)

The goverment doesnt want to step in and do anything about our rivers. Just like the Upper Pitt River where its world renowned for its flyfishing and their is garbage everywhere. The longer they wait the more its going to cost. You just have to shake your head sometimes.

Like when its time to vote. Do you vote NDP because you know they will make a bigger impact on the enviorment? Or do you vote Liberal because you know with the Liberals our economy will flourish. The NDP justs puts us in debt but cares about everything whereas the Liberals are smarter when it comes to the budget. Personally I take the Liberals but am sad that the enviorment has to suffer.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 02:53:54 PM »

$2,000 is some pretty good coin I guess but not as much as driving into a river and totalling a vehicle hey  ;)

::)  ::)
The goverment doesnt want to step in and do anything about our rivers. Just like the Upper Pitt River where its world renowned for its flyfishing and their is garbage everywhere. The longer they wait the more its going to cost. You just have to shake your head sometimes.

Like when its time to vote. Do you vote NDP because you know they will make a bigger impact on the enviorment? Or do you vote Liberal because you know with the Liberals our economy will flourish. The NDP justs puts us in debt but cares about everything whereas the Liberals are smarter when it comes to the budget. Personally I take the Liberals but am sad that the enviorment has to suffer.

I think if we could be sure that DFO would "sanction" the event, that we could probably get quite a few volunteers up at some point.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »

I have been told as recently as last week planning for the work and the raising of the needed funds for the diverson back towards the hatchery is underway but it will no happen until next year. :( :(

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »

I have been told as recently as last week planning for the work and the raising of the needed funds for the diverson back towards the hatchery is underway but it will no happen until next year. :( :(

Just like the Pitt was supposed to be cleaned up 6 months ago... Untill I see it I will believe it. In the meantime the salmon stocks will go down...down...down...You get the picture.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 04:26:51 PM »

Well I see that we have some interest in the chehalis, good!!!!  Does anyone have the emails or numbers that we can call and harass them about this and may other topics??? If we all just took a couple of minutes away a day and emailed the hell out of them, they would probably get the picture.  But would we bug them enough to get them to do something about it??? Who knows!!!!  We should also get this on the news as well.  "Chehalis River Hatchery in trouble"  will the powers that be step up???  They opened sockeye to shut us up and the seemed to work!!  Maybe if we make a big enough noise about this as well, they will speed up the fundraising and the date to which the river will get re-diverted as well.  Will it work? Don't know until you try.  But I think that we have to do something, I would be willing to start there.  By the way, I mean REALLY EMAILING THE HECK OUT OF THEM!!!!! EVERDAY!!!!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 04:44:10 PM »

Big Steel, here's some info that you may find useful. It's a thread from before you were around

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7198.msg65498#msg65498
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 04:53:58 PM »

I would not recommend harrasssing them but I would suggest you phone the Chehalis Hatchery or e-mail them. They are really good guys there and I am sure they have done every thing possible to get this work done as soon as possible.
Phone 604-796-2281 or e-mail chehatch@uniserve.com

Please keep us updated with the info you dig up on the plans that are in the work for next year to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance.