Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: to all concerned Chehalis fisherman  (Read 4712 times)

chump

• I'm a llama!
to all concerned Chehalis fisherman
« on: July 08, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »

This message is going to all members who enjoy fishing the Chehalis, some of you may not know what is has been like a few years ago but im hoping by typing this things will change.  What has been going on is the last  4 years the river has made its path at the end of the Bible run into the native land-  very thick bushes, and this has created a situation where fishing for the abundant runs has been very difficult  as the fisherman are crowded into a short stretch of fishable area.  What has been attempted in the last 4 years is the DFO habitat branch has contracted an excavator to dig out a small insignificant channel at the end of the Bible run to divert water back towards the hatchery. However; this amount has been around 2o% of total flow and has dried up each year after the fall rains.  This creates a number of problems,  first of all, Redds that were made in the high water channel have now been dried up and basically killed off, also any fry or smolts that have been trapped here and picked off by predators, salmon spawning are also trapped and left to predators.  Another HUGE problem is lack of access to sports fisherman to returns of salmon,  this is a hatchery that’s paid for by our dollars and these fish; fall and summer Chinook, winter and summer Steelhead, Chum and Coho have had to travel up the native land where NON Natives are not allowed to trespass. This is quite a problem as the native fisherman back there have been quite vocal and sometimes very threatening to non natives. This past winter, I was back there and I was almost scared to falling in the river when a shotgun blast sailed beside me, a kind of shot across your bow technique. So I find out that this year the DFO has considered to put this transfer of water to the hatchery as a non priority and has set aside ZERO funding for this project, this is complete BS, if they were competent over there   they would have only had to do this once 4years ago, however, that’s another story.  I have here the name s and #s of the people at DFO who are in charge of these decisions, I would ask you please phone these people, email them and let them know we want access to these runs which we have paid for and we want the habitat protected for spawning and spawned salmon.         Dale Patterson….604 666 0315<<   PattersonD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca I’ve tried phoning this guy around 20 times and yet to here back from him,  he does get his messages as he was inquiring as to who the hell I am<<     also Jim Wild>>>>  WildJ@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca   604 666 6478.     I ask all of you who believe in what ive said to get in touch with these guys and let them know we want funding for this transfer, we want it done right once and for all, and we want access to OUR fish, thanks Cam

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: to all concerned Chehalis fisherman
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 08:31:39 PM »

I did my part by emailing the people concerned!!!!

chump

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 12:14:24 AM »

to all concerned; there will be meeting on wens. that will be between the Chehalis Band and DFO concerning moving the water over, not to pleased that more members have responded to this especially if you dont like crowding on the vedder, if theres more people on the chehalis= less on the vedder?????

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:48:39 AM »

Cam, who from the sportfishing sector will be attending the meeting, or is it simply a negotiation between Chehalis Band and DFO? Or is it s a public forum that all are welcome to attend?

chump

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:06:36 AM »

rod   the dfo(Jim Wild) and chehalis band are getting together to discuss the deflection of water from an extension of the bible run dike to bring a 50/50 split for both channels, this is in result of some band properties being flooded out yearly, lets hope this gets done as its not looking good for the Hatchery if further brood stock years dissapear

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 07:16:12 AM »

I can see the natives wanting the hatchery to do well as this is a source of income for the band.... :-\  All the fish that return to the hatchery are killed and stripped of those nice single eggs where they are sold on the japanese market and the carcasses are sold as foods for animals and fertilizers... :o  Whats wierd is that the hatcherys are short of funding yet they allow the native bands to benifit from there hard work while they get told to grab their ankles!  :-\  I hope this works out.  Ilove the chehalis.  It has produced some of my best days for coho as well as my biggest Hatch steelie ever landed!  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 08:35:48 AM »

I hate being negative but just you wait and see the fight you have on your hands when you attempt to divert this naturally occurring waterflow away from native land. They will claim that nature intended to bring the river and fish to them and it is their right to have it. Now the white man wants to interfere with nature and take away from the natives. That will be taking away their lifeline. You will be taking away their food, income in attempt to isolate and displace them. They'll want huge cash compensation for lifestyle change. Wow - I can just see the native blockades now. I hate to say it but we're just going to have to wait until nature takes it's course and bring the water back past the hatchery again. The way I see it is fishermen are going to have to bring in shovels and wheelbarrows and slowley hand dig a deeper trench fronm the hatchery to the main run so that the next blow-out causes diversion back to the old canal.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:13:20 AM »

Rieber....

That is, unless they feel more burdened by the flooding, in which case they'll ask the government for help to dyke the river, and put in fish weirs. 

These guys are in the midst of taking a beautiful Scout camp away from us on Harrison Lake, and they certainly seem interested only in staking claim on the "Good" areas :( :(  ???

miketheflyguy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:29:50 PM »

I fish the Chehalis quite a bit....and I hate the easter seal steup right now.....I think I'm gonna e-mail these guys......
I also heard that the Chehalis Park operaters are planning on charging people to park in the park......

chump

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:19:31 PM »

that clown in the park should not have the right to the parking spots , another example of someone making money off govt. property, lets hope the native elders see it as a way to preserve their land vs the young bucks(few) who want all access(poaching) to the runs

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:05:44 PM »

Yes, that is the deal that the Chilliwack hatchery has as well, to the best of my knowledge.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 01:08:05 PM »

I can see the natives wanting the hatchery to do well as this is a source of income for the band.... :-\  All the fish that return to the hatchery are killed and stripped of those nice single eggs where they are sold on the japanese market and the carcasses are sold as foods for animals and fertilizers... :o  Whats wierd is that the hatcherys are short of funding yet they allow the native bands to benifit from there hard work while they get told to grab their ankles!  :-\  I hope this works out.  Ilove the chehalis.  It has produced some of my best days for coho as well as my biggest Hatch steelie ever landed!  ;)
Is it actually true about the egg thing? It's just the natives doing this right I'm worried I love the chehalis.

That's almost funny. They don't waste the carcasses on pet food - They cut it up and smoke it up for Overwaitea and Costco - That's where those tasty little packages of red coloured, smoked spawner Chum come from. You can't feed that stuff to animals it will make them stink and sick.