Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 42289 times)

Darko

• Old Timer

wow some coloured coho there. Nothing crazy but still odd to see with all the rain.
Makes sense for the area I was fishing. I see usually a near 50/50 split between chrome and a kindof dull silver in there. Also once the fish spends some time sitting in the water they look like they do in the photo. The top two looked much brighter when they were first caught.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:23:51 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Phronesis

Good job Darko, need some lessons from you, all im getting is wild this season, it was opposite last year where I only got hatchery coho and just one wild

Wade

Good job Darko, need some lessons from you, all im getting is wild this season, it was opposite last year where I only got hatchery coho and just one wild

lol last year I was 50:50 on vedder……1 hatchery and 1 wild😂

Phronesis

lol last year I was 50:50 on vedder……1 hatchery and 1 wild😂

How is this season going?

Chum Slayer

My season has been a bit frustrating plenty of bobber downs but keeping them hooked is a different story....

Wade

How is this season going?

5 hatch 2 wild so far, I guess bringing a net increases the chance for hatcheries…my 2 wild were caught on the only day when I forgot to bring the net😂

Darko

• Old Timer

My season has been a bit frustrating plenty of bobber downs but keeping them hooked is a different story....
how are you set up? All of my fish were caught on a pegged bead. If the float goes down fully they will be hooked well in the corner and will be difficult to escape. I have found Coho fights to not be that interesting so far. Similar to pinks I've caught in the Fraser or furry creek. Although, I haven't caught any over 6 lb.

Phronesis

I got 9 wilds and 1 hatchery this season, im doing something wrong to irk the wilds.
I noticed this years' Coho is on the smaller side compared to last two seasons, so the fights might not 'feel' great unless you have ultralight setup but cant risk it due to chum in the system too

Wade

how are you set up? All of my fish were caught on a pegged bead. If the float goes down fully they will be hooked well in the corner and will be difficult to escape. I have found Coho fights to not be that interesting so far. Similar to pinks I've caught in the Fraser or furry creek. Although, I haven't caught any over 6 lb.

landed a 5lb buck this morning in my local river, put a 12mm bead directly on size 2 hook as Go2fishingbc recommended, first bite I had with this method and the hookup was solid, will try more in the next couple weeks…….to me the best coho fishing experience is always from ambleside, those fish have food in their belly and their strength is at another level, got my PB there last year which was a 9lb hatchery buck…this past August hooked a beautiful 4lb doe 50m out from the shore and landed it before the seals could get it, those are the memories for life…while on the vedder this year I’m sticking to float only

Chum Slayer

I have just been using some soft beads pegged 3 inches above the hook or right on the shank nice 20mm beads drifted through tailouts or fishing tiny hard beads melted onto the hook.

Darko

• Old Timer

how's the fishing past few days? Heading out tomorrow

Phronesis

I didnt get any chance to go out yet and wondering if November is still productive for coho ?
Ill only get some chance next week

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The fishing is ok. Too cold.

Darko

• Old Timer

The fishing is ok. Too cold.

for hatchery coho that big I think I can stand a couple hours of cold fingers  ;D. time to put the electric hand warmer to the test

Darko

• Old Timer

Much less fish than previous weeks. Released two wilds. The peace in exploring new areas was delightful. It was indeed cold, I spent 1/4 of the time fishing and 3/4 by the fire .