Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 41668 times)

canucksfan233

Are we done this year??
My group got 2 jacks, 1 adult today (3 people including myself, all bullets). Definitely had to put in the work today and know what you are doing though. Rain tonight definitely won't help the cause.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 02:46:13 PM by canucksfan233 »

bravo252

My group got 2 jacks, 1 adult today (3 including myself, all bullets). Definitely had to put in the work today and know what you are doing though. Rain tonight definitely won't help the cause.

Thank you!! The rain last night really did something. Hahaha

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Here's a peek at how many coho salmon are sitting in the fish way at the hatchery right now, about 5,000 of them.

I had a brief conversation with the operation manager. He mentioned that the number of chinook salmon arrived at the hatchery was about 20k. In a few weeks from now, he and I will do a video with some final numbers and answers to questions that I've been getting this season.

fic

• Old Timer

Excellent!  I am curious how it is compared to last year for both species.

Here's a peek at how many coho salmon are sitting in the fish way at the hatchery right now, about 5,000 of them.

I had a brief conversation with the operation manager. He mentioned that the number of chinook salmon arrived at the hatchery was about 20k. In a few weeks from now, he and I will do a video with some final numbers and answers to questions that I've been getting this season.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Last coho salmon traffic jam of the season.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HIg7a-KzCT0

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Last coho salmon traffic jam of the season.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HIg7a-KzCT0

are they still taking brood stock? Are most of those fish hatchery coho?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canucksfan233

are they still taking brood stock? Are most of those fish hatchery coho?

idk about the wack, but most of coho broodstocking on the seymour is done in november when the fish are ripe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Coho spawning at the Chilliwack River Hatchery is done in several stages between October and December. The next and last one is happening in just over a week from now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Walked a couple of spawning channels in the upper river last week.
https://youtu.be/8uSN5eamu9A?si=gRyUy4kF7fkrLuoa

Old Blue

Coho spawning at the Chilliwack River Hatchery is done in several stages between October and December. The next and last one is happening in just over a week from now.
That's awesome they're spreading it out over a few months, you'd assume more late returns of their spawn by the fish taken in December. 

I love late season fishing when so many of the goofballs have disappeared.